program or programme ?

Post by Andreas Kromk » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Some people write "program", others write "programme".
Which is the right spelling?

--

------------------------
ANDREAS KROMKE

Fragen Sie nicht, was Ihr Computer fuer Sie tun kann.
Fragen Sie, was Sie fuer Ihren Computer tun koennen.

program or programme ?

Post by Michael Clemmetse » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

AIUI "program" is the american-english spelling and "programme"is the
international-english spelling. As a non-american I have always followed
the rule that if you are writing about a computer program then use
"program" and if you are writing about a television programme or a
programme of events at a conference or festival then you use
"programme". When using program as a verb (i.e. to program a computer) I
alway use "program".

Now let's see who agrees...

Michael

> Some people write "program", others write "programme".
> Which is the right spelling?

program or programme ?

Post by Magnus Kollber » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> AIUI "program" is the american-english spelling and "programme"is the
> international-english spelling. As a non-american I have always followed
> the rule that if you are writing about a computer program then use
> "program" and if you are writing about a television programme or a
> programme of events at a conference or festival then you use
> "programme". When using program as a verb (i.e. to program a computer) I
> alway use "program".

> Now let's see who agrees...

> Michael

> > Some people write "program", others write "programme".
> > Which is the right spelling?

A funny question in the first place. Maybe Andreas are writing some docs
for MagiC in english? Nhaa.... that would just be to good to be true. ;-)

Hehehehee... sorry, I just couldn't resist it.

Why not write "application"?

//Magnus kollberg
  |  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/5132/  |

program or programme ?

Post by Steve Hammo » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Some people write "program", others write "programme".
>Which is the right spelling?

Andreas,

Both are right :) - depends on which side of the Atlantic. USA posters
will most likely use "program" while British posters will spell it
"programme". Same is true for "color" and "colour" and some other words.
Isn't English FUN!

Regards,

Steve Hammond

program or programme ?

Post by Andreas Kromk » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

(...)
> Both are right :) - depends on which side of the Atlantic. USA posters
> will most likely use "program" while British posters will spell it
> "programme". Same is true for "color" and "colour" and some other words.
> Isn't English FUN!

Yes, it is. Isn't it?
As I live on "this" side of the Atlantic I used to write "colour".
Now I know that I also have to write "programme" then.

--

------------------------

Post by Tony Greenwo » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Both are right :) - depends on which side of the Atlantic. USA posters
>will most likely use "program" while British posters will spell it
>"programme".

I think you have that "arse about tit", I use the phrase "Program"
most days and I never saw "programme" before this thread.. thus I
doubt its the UK would would "normally" use it :)

Cheers -- Tony Greenwood (Official Filos Examples Programmer)

program or programme ?

Post by John Whall » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>AIUI "program" is the american-english spelling and "programme"is the
>international-english spelling. As a non-american I have always followed
>the rule that if you are writing about a computer program then use
>"program" and if you are writing about a television programme or a
>programme of events at a conference or festival then you use
>"programme". When using program as a verb (i.e. to program a computer) I
>alway use "program".

>Now let's see who agrees...

As a UK English person, I'd say you were spot on. "Programme" for most
purposes (eg TV programmes, theatre programmes etc), but program (US
general spelling) is the norm for computer-related things.

TTFN
John

--
John Whalley
Please substitute john for news when replying by email:

program or programme ?

Post by JI Log » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

|Some people write "program", others write "programme".
|Which is the right spelling?
| . . .

According to Fowler's Modern English Usage, 3rd edition, 'program'
meaning a list of instructions for a computer is routinely used in
all English speaking countries. I must confess I always have used
'programme' in the past but I am happy to change. In non-computer
use (eg list of music to be played) 'programme' is used in British
English and 'program' in American English. (Though the word in
inital use in British English was also 'program'.)

program or programme ?

Post by David Leav » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>As a UK English person, I'd say you were spot on. "Programme" for most
>purposes (eg TV programmes, theatre programmes etc), but program (US
>general spelling) is the norm for computer-related things.

If you consult the OED, you'll find that the original spelling in UK
was 'program' as it should be spelt from its Greek and Latin origins.
This was the spelling that the pilgrim fathers took to the US with
them. It was only in the late 19th century that the poms got a taste
for the ponsified French way of spelling the word with the 'mme'. So,
historically and etymologically , 'program' is more correct.

<Now I duck>

David

David Leaver                       10 Goodparla St,
                                   Hawker, ACT 2614

program or programme ?

Post by Eric Ha » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

:
: If you consult the OED, you'll find that the original spelling in UK
: was 'program' as it should be spelt from its Greek and Latin origins.
: This was the spelling that the pilgrim fathers took to the US with
: them. It was only in the late 19th century that the poms got a taste
: for the ponsified French way of spelling the word with the 'mme'. So,
: historically and etymologically , 'program' is more correct.

They've gone and done the same thing with dialog, trying to spell it
"dialogue" or some such silly thing, plus the famous colour/color thing.
Was it Churchill that said "two nations divided by a common language" or
some such thing?  There have to be examples where the Yank's use more
letters than the Brit's, but I can't think of any, so maybe that is the
rule to go by.

+-oOO-(_)-OOo-------------------------------------------------------+

program or programme ?

Post by Gary Prie » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>Both are right :) - depends on which side of the Atlantic. USA posters
>>will most likely use "program" while British posters will spell it
>>"programme".

>I think you have that "arse about tit", I use the phrase "Program"
>most days and I never saw "programme" before this thread.. thus I
>doubt its the UK would would "normally" use it :)

I find it a bit odd that you've never seen "programme" before. Just take a
look at the cover of the TV Times etc.

"programme" is the English spelling and has been for as long as I can
remember, but not when it comes to computer programs. Only things like
"programmes" of events etc. This is similar to computer "disks". "discs" is
the proper Enlgish spelling but again, not in computer terms, where we adopt
the US spelling.

So to summarise; it's "program" and "disk" :)

Gary

 Atari Falcon030 + FPU + Nemesis           http://www.the-gap.demon.co.uk/

program or programme ?

Post by VE6H » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >>Both are right :) - depends on which side of the Atlantic. USA posters
> >>will most likely use "program" while British posters will spell it
> >>"programme".

> >I think you have that "arse about tit", I use the phrase "Program"
> >most days and I never saw "programme" before this thread.. thus I
> >doubt its the UK would would "normally" use it :)

> I find it a bit odd that you've never seen "programme" before. Just take a
> look at the cover of the TV Times etc.

> "programme" is the English spelling and has been for as long as I can
> remember, but not when it comes to computer programs. Only things like
> "programmes" of events etc. This is similar to computer "disks". "discs" is
> the proper Enlgish spelling but again, not in computer terms, where we adopt
> the US spelling.

> So to summarise; it's "program" and "disk" :)

Now, let us argue about 'summarise' or 'summarize', realise or
realize, etc, etc

Insert extremely large, very evil, grin and hearty chortle at this
juncture.

The Canadian Curmudgeon (in +5C Calgary)

program or programme ?

Post by John Whall » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>As a UK English person, I'd say you were spot on. "Programme" for most
>>purposes (eg TV programmes, theatre programmes etc), but program (US
>>general spelling) is the norm for computer-related things.

>If you consult the OED, you'll find that the original spelling in UK
>was 'program' as it should be spelt from its Greek and Latin origins.

*Patsy and Edina mode ON* [1]

I'm a librarian, sweddie, I only do that kind of thing if I'm being
*paid* (don't even *open the cover* for less than UKP10,000).

Quote:>This was the spelling that the pilgrim fathers took to the US with
>them.

Kind of says it all...

Quote:>It was only in the late 19th century that the poms got a taste
>for the ponsified French way of spelling the word with the 'mme'.

We Europeans just have sooooo much more *style*, sweddie...

Quote:>So,
>historically and etymologically , 'program' is more correct.

But actually and contemporarily, only for computer things. Otherwise
"programme" it is...

Quote:><Now I duck>

But we *swan*, sweddie.

[1]  Apologies to all those who haven't been exposed to the glories of
     Absolutely Fabulous, to whom the above will possibly be
     incomprehensible. Your loss, sweddies... :-)

Ciao,
John

(Effete Europeans'r'us)

(Please assume an enormous smiley in the above, before pressing the
trigger on that flame gun. Don't want any scorch marks on my
Lacroix...)

--
John Whalley
Please substitute john for news when replying by email:

program or programme ?

Post by Roger Ca » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Some people write "program", others write "programme".
>Which is the right spelling?

Well, both really! 'Program' is the American spelling which is
becoming more acceptable in English.

If you want to be pedantic 'programme' has a long pedigree and
linguistic history. 'Program' (viz. 'color') is a phonetic
simplification which has no linguistic roots.

Roger Cain, Manchester, UK         NeST:90:100/103
TT  6Mb/MagiC 5/NVDI 4

program or programme ?

Post by outrid » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Mar 98:

 g> "programme" is the English spelling and has been for as long as I can
 g> remember, but not when it comes to computer programs. Only things
 g> like "programmes" of events etc. This is similar to computer "disks".
 g> "discs" is the proper Enlgish spelling but again, not in computer terms,
 g> where we adopt the US spelling.

Since "disk" is derived from "diskette," how would you get "disc" out of
"diskette"?

Note that CDs and CD-ROMs are spelled with "disc" in American English.

 * LED v1.51 *  "And as we wind on down the road..."
--

        Terry May - Las Vegas, NV

1. NEW program to run programs from STinG's LOGIN.BAT

I have just released a small program that can be run from STinG's LOGIN.BAT
and will execute multiple programs in parallel as opposed to STinG's normal
sequential method. This means that on a multitasking o/s, you can have
programs like POPwatch automatically start and collect your email as soon as
the dialer has connected.

It will only work on a multitasking o/s (obviously), and I have only tested
it under MagiC. If it doesn't work for you then be patient and let me know.

Please wait a couple of hours from the time of this message, before trying
my web site to give the changes time to take place.

The program is called SPAWNER.

Regards,
Gary

 Atari Falcon030 + FPU + Nemesis           http://www.the-gap.demon.co.uk/

2. ILU 1.6.4 available

3. ATARI ST-Want programs and help with programming

4. info on CANON BJ10E (color bubble jet)

5. List of TT-compatible programs & program upgrades

6. How to extract bitmap data from SURFOBJ ?

7. Auction: Atari 410 Program Recorder, 800XL, 1050 floppy, Atari programming book

8. Poll... would anyone use a Speccy themed chat room?

9. Can a TTP Program Pexec a GEM Program?

10. Unsprites programs, CaveLords programs, et al

11. Q: ACTION! stand-alone program

12. 8-bit File Copy Program with Mouse?

13. New Sources in ABBUC Programming Group Wiki