Grandson of the 40-folder bug

Post by Scott Bigh » Tue, 30 Jul 1991 03:46:17

I think I'm being bitten by a variant of the 40-folder bug and I seek advice.

Background:  I'm running TeX on a 1-meg 1040ST, TOS 1.0 circa 11/20/85,
FOLDR100.PRG (about as much as I can have and still run TeX).  Everything
works as advertised until about the eighth or ninth invocation of TeX or
DVIATARI, at which point the system seems to become suddenly unable to open
any file anywhere, a symptom I've always associated with the 40-folder bug.
If I reset the computer, everything is fine again.

Now, DVIATARI touches several folders in its quest for fonts, but it's always
the same folders, so apparently the system is using a new slot every time it
touches a folder.  Obviously this is an unclever thing to do, but if there
were an easy way to do things cleverly, this whole problem would have been
fixed by now.

So, short of hitting RESET every twenty minutes, is there any way to clear
out the folder slots or correct GEMDOS's view of reality?  I'm almost
desperate enough to try catching the GEMDOS OPEN and CLOSE calls and building
some intelligence into them, but I'm a little edgy about that.

[If this isn't the 40-folder bug at all, or if I'm missing something obvious,
please tell me gently :) ]

--
Scott Bigham                    | The opinions expressed above are

Or 'R' to this as a last resort | copied or distributed without a
--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

Grandson of the 40-folder bug

Post by Marshall Harris (G. » Tue, 30 Jul 1991 07:30:17

Quote:>I think I'm being bitten by a variant of the 40-folder bug and I seek advice.
>Background:  I'm running TeX on a 1-meg 1040ST, TOS 1.0 circa 11/20/85,
>FOLDR100.PRG (about as much as I can have and still run TeX).  Everything
>works as advertised until about the eighth or ninth invocation of TeX or
>DVIATARI, at which point the system seems to become suddenly unable to open
>any file anywhere, a symptom I've always associated with the 40-folder bug.
>If I reset the computer, everything is fine again

   I get a similar problem with the 1st2pw prgram that converts 1stword to
postscript. After doing a certain number of files, it freezes, and the
only thing that works is to restart the program - I don't have to reboot.
Is this the same phenomenon?
--

 /     B <--+  Department of Computer Science        :fx:+61 7 365 1999
 \_.-._/    |  University of Queensland, St.Lucia

Post by Roger Sheppa » Tue, 30 Jul 1991 12:55:20

> I think I'm being bitten by a variant of the 40-folder bug and I seek advice.

> Background:  I'm running TeX on a 1-meg 1040ST, TOS 1.0 circa 11/20/85,
> FOLDR100.PRG (about as much as I can have and still run TeX).  Everything
> works as advertised until about the eighth or ninth invocation of TeX or
> DVIATARI, at which point the system seems to become suddenly unable to open
> any file anywhere, a symptom I've always associated with the 40-folder bug.

> [If this isn't the 40-folder bug at all, or if I'm missing something obvious,
> please tell me gently :) ]
> Scott Bigham                    | The opinions expressed above are

> Or 'R' to this as a last resort | copied or distributed without a

Well why not save yourself a lot of Problems and Go get TOS 1.4, this
has a lot of improvements to the Folder Bug, and lets you sleep better
if you ask Atari about any Problems the First thing they say go fit
TOS 1.4 then you can complain..
--

***  85 Donovan Rd          *  *   At least I don't Flicker, not     ***
***  Kapiti New Zealand..    *     like a dying light globe. !       ***

Grandson of the 40-folder bug

Post by Jwahar R. Bam » Wed, 31 Jul 1991 07:20:57

a) you should really move up to tos 1.4

b) use showdvi instead of dviatari: a far superior/faster program, and it
packs all its fonts into a library, so it does'nt have to go searching
all over the filesystem, open that many files, much easier to maintain
etc etc.. it should be on A.A

cheers,
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi                     jwahar r. bammi

GEnie:  J.Bammi
CIS:    71515,155

Grandson of the 40-folder bug

Post by Scott Bigh » Thu, 01 Aug 1991 01:20:31

Quote:>a) you should really move up to tos 1.4

I'd love to, but to my knowledge there are no Atari dealers in town.  Can it
be gotten mail order?

Quote:>b) use showdvi instead of dviatari: a far superior/faster program, and it
>packs all its fonts into a library, so it does'nt have to go searching
>all over the filesystem, open that many files, much easier to maintain
>etc etc.. it should be on A.A

Unless I'm mistaken, though, showdvi only supports mono.  I got dviatari
specifically because it seemed to be the only one that would work with my
color monitor.

>--
>bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi                 jwahar r. bammi

>GEnie:      J.Bammi
>CIS:    71515,155

Scott Bigham                            | The opinions expressed above are

or 'R' to this message as a last resort | copied or distributed without a
--

Post by Robert B. Pegr » Thu, 01 Aug 1991 03:15:55

>>a) you should really move up to tos 1.4
> I'd love to, but to my knowledge there are no Atari dealers in town.  Can it
> be gotten mail order?

Yes, absolutely; off hand, Toad, Joppa and Best Electronics sell TOS
1.4.  If I get enough requests, I can post my tips file, since the
docs for insertion are not as clear as the ones I got with TOS 1.0 for
my previous 520.  Of course, there was only one motherboard to deal
with then!

bye

Bob Pegram

        or
...!uvm-gen!pegram

Post by R C Smi » Thu, 01 Aug 1991 19:31:47

>Unless I'm mistaken, though, showdvi only supports mono.  I got dviatari
>specifically because it seemed to be the only one that would work with my
>color monitor.

I afraid you are mistaken it does support colour, but to be fair I think
that the earlier versions didn't (Unless I'm mistaken!).

I wish I could get the source code for showdvi.... is it out there
anywhere?

Robin

Post by Dave Johns » Thu, 01 Aug 1991 20:56:12

>>>a) you should really move up to tos 1.4
>> I'd love to, but to my knowledge there are no Atari dealers in town.  Can it
>> be gotten mail order?
>Yes, absolutely; off hand, Toad, Joppa and Best Electronics sell TOS
>1.4.  If I get enough requests, I can post my tips file, since the
>docs for insertion are not as clear as the ones I got with TOS 1.0 for
>my previous 520.  Of course, there was only one motherboard to deal
>with then!
>bye
>Bob Pegram

>       or
>...!uvm-gen!pegram

Tos 1.4 is like gold dust in the UK, more so over finding out that there are two
different ways that it can be bought, (2 chip set or 6 chip set). Having checked
and discovered that I was a two chip set person, I starting ringing round the mail
order companies in the UK. Only Ladbrokes (sp) based in Preston had the two chip set
and they were out of stock and did not know when it was coming in again. Other
companies had the 6 chip set for sale. I asked around my mates and discovered it
is possible to install the 6 chip set in a two set machine if I sit down and
solder in 4 sockets and make (or break) a link and the motherboard.
        Having desoldered and sockect the shifter chip this should be no problem
but it took me six weeks or so to believe that the ST was still working after
I have done that small operation. (And I was thinking of installing a blitter chip)
So I wouldn't mind looking at any tips of how to install it as it appears that
my machine is completely different to every one else (Why my shifter was not
sockected I do not know every thing else is, the MMU, TOS 1.2, the GLUE chip)

Yours

Dave J

Grandson of the 40-folder bug

Post by Bernd Raich » Fri, 02 Aug 1991 18:34:06

Quote:> I wish I could get the source code for showdvi.... is it out there
> anywhere?

No, only a few people have the source...
(... and I hope a new version is coming soon. ;-)

-bernd

Post by Bill Shro » Fri, 02 Aug 1991 06:09:49

>>b) use showdvi instead of dviatari: a far superior/faster program, and it
>>packs all its fonts into a library, so it does'nt have to go searching
>>all over the filesystem, open that many files, much easier to maintain
>>etc etc.. it should be on A.A
>Unless I'm mistaken, though, showdvi only supports mono.  I got dviatari
>specifically because it seemed to be the only one that would work with my
>color monitor.

I use showdvi on a color monitor, with very satisfactory results.  I
believe it was only the very early versions of showdvi that were mono only.
Bill Shroka

Post by Darius S. Naq » Fri, 02 Aug 1991 04:03:21

>Unless I'm mistaken, though, showdvi only supports mono.  I got dviatari
>specifically because it seemed to be the only one that would work with my
>color monitor.

The version of showdvi I have supports color too. I have the latest
one to be posted to comp.binaries.atari.st; I assume that the one on
atari.archive is at least as recent as this.

--

ISA Corp.                         phone:(403) 420-8081
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Peter Jacks » Sat, 03 Aug 1991 05:08:27

Quote:Shroka) writes:

Quote:Bigham) writes:

|> >Unless I'm mistaken, though, showdvi only supports mono.  I got
dviatari
|> >specifically because it seemed to be the only one that would work
with my
|> >color monitor.
|>
|> I use showdvi on a color monitor, with very satisfactory results.  I
|> believe it was only the very early versions of showdvi that were mono
only.
|> --

---
|> Bill Shroka

I had a look at showdvi, it seemed slick however it wasn't apparent to
me from the docs how to create a font library from a bunch of fonts.
If anyone has created such a font library already, I think it would be
a really useful service to upload it to atari.archive. (The fonts that
I was able to find there were incomplete)

What do others think?

University of British Columbia | ph:(604)822-2269 fax:(604)822-6150

Post by Darius S. Naq » Sun, 04 Aug 1991 01:55:15

>>Unless I'm mistaken, though, showdvi only supports mono.  I got dviatari
>>specifically because it seemed to be the only one that would work with my
>>color monitor.

>I afraid you are mistaken it does support colour, but to be fair I think
>that the earlier versions didn't (Unless I'm mistaken!).

You're right: the earlier versions were mono-only, but the *latest*
version posted to comp.binaries.atari.st (1.00T, I believe) supports
colour as well, even using the same set of pk fonts.

Quote:

>I wish I could get the source code for showdvi.... is it out there
>anywhere?

>Robin

The documentation that I got with showdvi states that it is a
binary-only PD distribution.  You might try contacting the authors,
but it seems that they don't want to distribute source, although they
might just do it for a fee.
--

ISA Corp.                         phone:(403) 420-8081
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

1. 40-folder bug

      Does the `40-folder bug' relate only to whether o enot 40
*different* folders are opened in a session, or just 40 *total*
folders?  IOW, if you only have 20 active folders, but open each
twice, can you still run into this bug?

      Also, does a (warm) `reset' clear the folder count, or only
a cold boot?

(My TOS is v. 1.02, "MEGA" TOS)

2. Address books for dummies

3. 40-Folder Bug not fixed

4. WMP 8.5 where I can get it?

5. 40-folder bug and FOLDRXXX.PRG

6. advertised program does not run on client

7. Request for status of the 40-folder bug fix

8. what is stateful inspection?

9. 40-Folder Bug

10. Malloc() in C and the 40-folder bug

11. 40-Folder Bug not fixed - (nf)

12. 40-Folder Bug not fixed!

13. Looking for "DIRLEFT.PRG" (40 folder bug etc.)