Help - dead XEGS!

Post by Duncan Ro » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 23:19:48

Went to switch on the Atari this morning and was greeted by a black screen.
Some times the screen is red, and other times it is accompanied by a single
tone, but it never gets any further.

Any ideas where to start looking (apart for on eBay for a new XEGS!)?

Many thanks group!

Help - dead XEGS!

Post by Le » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:43:50

> Went to switch on the Atari this morning and was greeted by a black screen.
> Some times the screen is red, and other times it is accompanied by a single
> tone, but it never gets any further.

> Any ideas where to start looking (apart for on eBay for a new XEGS!)?

> Many thanks group!

XEGS sometimes have troubles with Missile Command/normal mode
decisions.  Put in a cart, turn it on, then pull the cart out,
and hit RESET.  Alternately, power on with Option down, then
RESET.  Fiddle with them all - it might just be locked into
'half' mode and it does happen often enough to be a known
problem, but I disremember the exact recommeded procedure
to cure it.  Pulling the cart will not harm it, but will
certainly set hardware registers for a full ram clear and
cold boot routine to follow on pressing RESET.

If you've already tried the above and you know your XEGS and
this is not that problem - then it's time for a 2nd one.
Soldered chips make fixing them much more work.  First place
to look is at voltage of power supply, #1 trouble.  Next,
touch the ram chips if you dare, very hot ram chips mean
ram was fried by #1.  If found to be hot, replace and try
a new power supply - you may get lucky.

1. Help! Fried my XEGS ;(

Does anybody out there know what I would have to do to repair a XE
game system that was fried by me inadvertantly plugging an evil C64
power pack into it and turning the system on. (All I get now is a
nice burned electrical smell and a red screen though it does still
power up at least...any chance of just needing to replace something
simple?) Outside of that is there anyone out there who has an extra
XEGS they would like to sell? I would just need the bare console as
I still have everything else in working order...please e-mail me if
you can offer advise on repairs or have one to sell- thanks!

Curtis J. (feeling like an idiot!)

2. Urgent

3. HELP: XEGS Cart Slot Failure

4. Australian Game Coders