GFA BASIC ST <--> GFA BASIC PC Windows

Post by chi.. » Sun, 24 Apr 1994 19:27:58

        Is the GFA Basic for the ST compatible with the GFA Basic
        for Windows under DOS? I need to know because I will be
        doing a cross-platform project. GFA Basic is the closest link I can
        get that is most 'tranportable' between a PC and ST.

        Is there anything out there that can do the same with the ST and
        MAC?

        Thanks a billion.

        Andrew.

GFA BASIC ST <--> GFA BASIC PC Windows

Post by Ofir Ga » Mon, 25 Apr 1994 20:07:09

Quote:>Is the GFA Basic for the ST compatible with the GFA Basic
>for Windows under DOS? I need to know because I will be
>doing a cross-platform project. GFA Basic is the closest link I can
>get that is most 'tranportable' between a PC and ST.

>Is there anything out there that can do the same with the ST and
>MAC?

MicroSoft BASIC and HiSoft BASIC are fairly compatible. You would have to
speak to HiSoft directly for details.

-------------------------------

-------------------------------

Post by John Hutchins » Wed, 27 Apr 1994 07:39:40

Quote:

>    Is the GFA Basic for the ST compatible with the GFA Basic
>    for Windows under DOS? I need to know because I will be
>    doing a cross-platform project. GFA Basic is the closest link I can
>    get that is most 'tranportable' between a PC and ST.

While some of the command syntax is the same or very similar, generally
GFA for the ST and GFA Windows are _not_ compatible. This is primarily due
to the huge difference between GEM and Windows. GFAW does have the power
to create screaming fast Windows apps, but be forewarned, you will need to
learn all about the Windows API to make use of it. GFAW is fast, but it has
none of the GUI design tools ala Visual Basic and the docs are still poor.

GFA for DOS is much more akin to GFA ST but it's not as good a product as
GFAW. Too glitchy, too slow, still no true compiler (although one is
promised RSN) and you have to worry about the DOS 640K memory barrier. Duh.

Quote:>    Is there anything out there that can do the same with the ST and
>    MAC?

No. However there is a very capable and powerful BASIC for the Mac called
FutureBasic which I highly recommend. I don't use Think C anymore. :)

GFA BASIC ST <--> GFA BASIC PC Windows

Post by jasz » Wed, 27 Apr 1994 08:16:45

 I need to upgrade my Mega ST to TOS 2.06... what's involved in this, and
how much does it cost?  and lastly, who, if not atari, sells these upgrades..?

 --Bart

Post by bob erkamp (fuzzy log » Thu, 28 Apr 1994 02:20:52

> I need to upgrade my Mega ST to TOS 2.06... what's involved in this, and
>how much does it cost?  and lastly, who, if not atari, sells these upgrades..?

I paid about $125 CDN for the Mega ST TEC bus board that was pretty much a snap
to install. It's a little more tricky if you want to run your existing TOS and
TOS 2.06 but it's not that difficult. I believe I got it from Gribnif
(413-247-5620). There are others out there as well.

 Bob Erkamp                                                      A L B E R T A
                           --> It Could Happen <--             R E S E A R C H

1. GFA BASIC -> GFA BASIC for WINDOWS

As far as I know, as of GFA v3.5E, GFA was trying to promote cross
platform capabilities with Amiga and PC versions of GFA Basic.

As long as you stay clear of machine specific peeks, pokes, and hardware
registers, etc. most GFA commands should translate smoothly over to the
PC.  Don't forget that the PC versions were developed after the Atari
versions so compatibility was most likely retained.

If you are really concerned, try contacting GFA directly about code
portability.

Ari

2. opinions on Mac Clones?

3. Is reinking possible for BJ-300 ?

4. FA Atari ST Developer Tools : Prospero C, GFA Basic System 2, Atari ST Basic

5. <<>> COMPUTER SOFTWARE / HARDWARE <<>>

6. Info needed: [Enhanced] ST BASIC and GFA BASIC (long)

7. Ricoh Ver 2.20 still clicks!

8. <<<<<<<<<< Nick's Atari ST Game Ratings >>>>>>>>>>

9. <<<<<<<<<< Nick's Atari ST Voting Ballot >>>>>>>>>>