The Falcon DOES have true colour

Post by s.smit.. » Tue, 27 Oct 1992 23:05:05

What Atari call true colour is the same as that on some souped up VGA
boards (ET4000 i think?) which is 32768 colours. Falcon can do 65536 in
one of the modes (at least).
This is pretty healthy for most graphics appliactions. It's pretty good
for raytracing etc. (5/6 bits per red/green/blue) I know a 64-shade
greyscale on VGA monitors looks ok. Besides, any inability to
reproduce a specific colour is far more likey to be caused by the
colour gamut of the monitor that those extra 2 bits per colour plane.
(i think?) however many bits you have, you are still limited by the
phosphors in the monitor to a certain range of colours. You are just
dividing that range up finer and finer...

BTW, has *anyone* actually *seen* a Falcon in the UK? Silica, Gasteiner, and
someone else (don't remember) are advertising them, but ....

howie
-------------------------
Howard Jones, Dept of Physics, Imperial College, London SW7

My Opinions, not yours or IC's!

1. TRUE Color vs TRUE B.S.

I've got a question for all of you on the net arguing about how many colors
true color is and how many colors the eye can distinguish and what professor
Phudpucker claimed in his exciting lecture on video color planes...

   WHO CARES???

C'mon people... get a life!
---

___________________________ John "HUTCH" Hutchinson _________________________
_________________ Fair Dinkum Technologies     Member - IAAD  _______________
________________ "No worries, mate... it's from Fair Dinkum!" _______________

2. CPM files to mac

3. How Many Colours is true ColoUr?

4. time service

5. True Color? (Falcon VGA)

6. Looking for examples comparing "traditional OO" vs. "component OO"

7. The Falcon Does NOT have True Colour

8. Win2k PPP issue

9. Has the falcon TRUE color?

10. Falcon true color

11. Falcon Audio Info, pretty please (plus, true-color tidbit)

12. 32,768 color upgrade to Mega and having problems