TOS 2.06 upgrade board

Post by Peter Sle » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Perhaps someone with knowledge of the TOS ROMs could help me ?

Many years ago I fitted a TOS 2.06 upgrade board to my STfm.

Today I was looking through some old paperwork when I happened
upon the manual and fitting instructions.

The board is a Compo T_Board 64 that fits into a socket soldered
to the top of the 68000. The TOS 2.06 is activated by a small
program in the AUTO folder. When I switch on the ST it first
boots into TOS 1 then boots into TOS 2. I have it set-up so
that Superboot is activated before TOS 2. There is no hardware
switch with this board.

Looking at the back page of the installation instructions it says:

" If for some reason your original TOS has been removed from
  your computer it is still possible to fit T_BOARD. Just connect
  the solder point next to R1 on the T_BOARD to pin 20 of the
  first socket which contained one of your original TOS ROMS. "

I suddenly had the idea of fitting this wire so that the ST
will boot directly into TOS 2. Would this work without
first removing the soldered in TOS 1 chip set ?

If this would work it would then be tempting to fit a switch
into this circuit so that I could break the connection and
boot into TOS 1 if I needed to (unlikely).

I have a Milan and don't use my ST much anymore but it would
be better to use if it could boot straight into TOS 2.

Regards,

Peter

TOS 2.06 upgrade board

Post by Steve Swee » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi Peter

Quote:>I suddenly had the idea of fitting this wire so that the ST will boot
>directly into TOS 2. Would this work without first removing the soldered
>in TOS 1 chip set ?

You could always fool the machine into thinking its chips are removed. Find
the Chip select pin on the host's ROM chips and connect to +5V.
--

        Regards from STEve & his nice warm cosey PAK'd MegaSTE.
 *  MegaSTE 40Mhz 68030, 68882 FPU, 4+16 Meg RAM, SCSI II, MV-300  *

TOS 2.06 upgrade board

Post by Peter Sle » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi Peter

>>I suddenly had the idea of fitting this wire so that the ST will boot
>>directly into TOS 2. Would this work without first removing the soldered
>>in TOS 1 chip set ?

>You could always fool the machine into thinking its chips are removed. Find
>the Chip select pin on the host's ROM chips and connect to +5V.
>--

Hi Steve,

I must correct myself. Having opened up my STFM I find that the 6 ROM
chips are socketed.

However, I am not sure which is "the first socket" of the original TOS
ROMS. The pcb is labelled H-0, H-1, H-2, LO-0, LO-1, LO-2 reading from
the front of the board towards the PSU.

I have tried pin 20 of H-0, LO-2 and LO-0 and in each case the machine
booted into TOS 1.  I didn't want to take any further risks by testing
the remaining chips sockets.

So either I have not yet found the correct socket or I need to disable
the existing ROMs.

Regards,

Peter
| Milan040, CD-ROM, UMAX 1220S, Canon BJC-2000, 33600 Modem            |
| Mint, N.AES, Thing, MultiStrip, Olga, Bubbles...                     |
| Papyrus, Texel, CAB, Newsie, STiNG, ArtWorx, PhotoLine, ImageCopy... |
|  I live in Great Britain, abbreviated to G.B.                        |
|  uk is a noise made by apes.                                         |

TOS 2.06 upgrade board

Post by Branko Badrljic » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

> >Hi Peter

> >>I suddenly had the idea of fitting this wire so that the ST will boot
> >>directly into TOS 2. Would this work without first removing the soldered
> >>in TOS 1 chip set ?

> >You could always fool the machine into thinking its chips are removed. Find
> >the Chip select pin on the host's ROM chips and connect to +5V.
> >--

> Hi Steve,

> I must correct myself. Having opened up my STFM I find that the 6 ROM
> chips are socketed.

> However, I am not sure which is "the first socket" of the original TOS
> ROMS. The pcb is labelled H-0, H-1, H-2, LO-0, LO-1, LO-2 reading from
> the front of the board towards the PSU.

> I have tried pin 20 of H-0, LO-2 and LO-0 and in each case the machine
> booted into TOS 1.  I didn't want to take any further risks by testing
> the remaining chips sockets.

Hi to all. Sorry, I cant see original question ( my newsserver sais:"No Such
Article...")
But if its about having only TOS 2.06, you should use either CE pin on original
TOS or
simple circuit to replace it.
TOS has 192 Kb and its divided in three sets of 64 Kb each (2x 32Kb).
So each set has 32x 16 bit. You have to use CE from first set. On your machine
this will be chips H0 and L0. I think its pin 20 on both chips. If Im right,
pin 20 on  both
sockets should be connected . If you plan to use it, you should pull out or at
least deactivate
ROMs in first pair (H0/L0). If you want to keep them in, you must pull out pin
20 on both
EPROMs and connect between each CE pin and +5V (pin 28) resistor of say 2K2.
This will keep TOS 1 inactive.

Regards,

Branko

1. T-Board 64 TOS 2.06 without 1.04 problem.

I have a ST 520+ with 3 Mb installed.
I have soldered on the 68000 a socket for placing the T-BOARD 64.
My old TOS 1.04 (in 6 ROMS) is installed.
Everything works now.
Now I wan't to remove the old TOS 1.04 and start always with TOS 2.06.
Two reasons : 1 reboot less and a startup delay for hard disks.
The manual say's " Just connect the soldering point next to R1 on the T-BOARD
to pin 20 of the first socket which contained one of your original TOS ROMS".
Questions :
The soldering point is that the connection with pin 2 of the GAL?
Pin 20 is that the 'CE' signal of the U2 socket?
If yes, on my system this does not work, a black screen is the result.
Anybody idea's?

Greetings,
--
Dick Bruijn       Albert Heijn bv

                  Ebbehout 31    kamer B407    Phone: +31 (0)75 593918
                  1507 EA ZAANDAM              Fax  : +31 (0)75 351240

2. process mem. consumption in QNX 62

3. TOS 2.06 Upgrade Hack

4. Ways to charge for modem usage??

5. TOS 2.06 upgrade saga finally ends in triumph

6. Some Companies Will Release Customer Records on Request

7. how do I upgrade Mega ST to tos 2.06?

8. Need something quicker than atan()

9. Tos 2.06 upgrade advice wanted

10. TOS 2.06 upgrade

11. Circuit drawing adapterboard for TOS upgrade to 2.06

12. TOS 2.06 Upgrade in ST, Easy??

13. Weird Problem Upgrading to TOS 2.06