Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

>>> Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the
Atari
>>> label.......

>>> I'm sure in the coming months rumors will start to appear
everywhere!
>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
^~^~^~

>Speaking of rumours, just what the heck is this "Project X" thing
everyone
>is talking about? Am I the only person on the planet who has no clue
what
>this is about?

Its the mystery video game system from VM Labs. It is rumored to be
more powerful than Sega's Katana and may use a DVD but other than that
details are few and far between.

Post by Iain Laske » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >Actually for $5000 about 50 of us would be FIGHTING for it :)

> For $5000... I would have called all developers and asked for ports of
> everything to Jag....

And after they'd all stopped laughing...

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by James D. Ke » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: >Retro PC Atari titles and titles for other systems, and hope for a
: >Project X licensing with Atari on the case and Atari Retro Project X software,

: It's never really been that successful in the past though. It didn't
: save the Jag, and Tempest 2000 wasn't an amazing success. I think
: there's a limited market for 1-dimensional games that only last 3
: minutes, which basically is most of the Atari licenses.

I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
games.  But, what are we talking about here?

--James Keim

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > Atari is dead. It died when JTS merged with it. The question is, will
> > a new company called Atari, with the spirt of old, will come into
> > being. The worse thing that will happen is that the Atari name and
> > some old Atari games will come out in new updated software titles.
> > Hasbro isn't a stupid little company.

> The problem with everyone's speculations as to whether or not "Atari"
> can rise from the ashes is...public perception.  I spent 13 years as a
> video game/computer software store manager.  Up until a year and 1/2
> ago.  Problem is that right now the public, by and large, perceive
> the company called "Atari" (and they DON'T know the difference
> between Midway's Atari and Hasbro's Atari!) is for the most part a
> has-been company.  An outfit that makes sucky products that are
> now being cleared out for $50 per console at a toy store chain.  A
> company that used to be cool, but can no longer cut the mustard.

Indeed. In fact most people I talk to think Atari died in 1982-83. Few
people have even heard of the ST series, the Jaguar, the Lynx, Portfolio
etc.

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Frank Szymansk » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> the company into the ground.  Without the Tramiels, there would have been
> _NO_ Atari 130XE, 520ST, 1040ST, Portfolio, STe, MegaST, SLM804, MegaSTe,
> SLM605, TT030, Falcon, Lynx, Jaguar, etc.
> diehard Atarians, keep in mind that without them, we wouldn't even have had
> any of these incredible systems.  Because of these systems, we Atarians

As for the Lynx and the Portfolio they were both developed from other
companies. Everything the Tramiels did, was to buy the rights and to
sell them under the ATARI brand name. There were no improvements done by
ATARI.
So if the Tramiels hadnt bought the systems other companies would have
done this.

Tschuess,
         Frank

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >Retro PC Atari titles and titles for other systems, and hope for a
> >Project X licensing with Atari on the case and Atari Retro Project X so
> ftware,

> It's never really been that successful in the past though. It didn't
> save the Jag, and Tempest 2000 wasn't an amazing success. I think
> there's a limited market for 1-dimensional games that only last 3
> minutes, which basically is most of the Atari licenses.

Actually, part of the reason Atari UK started to look at doing lots of
retro style titles for the jag was because they were starting to get
shitloads of revenue from the various companies selling versions of their
old titles from the 70's/80's.

Quote:> Maybe they'll re-release the Jaguar or something?

Ermm....

Post by Lawrence Lam » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >What really gets me is they seem to have paid $5 million for $45
> million
> >in Atari debt (and of course, the technology). They _really_ paid $50
> >million for the assets. They are obviously planning to do something
> real
> >with it, simply suing for patent and copyright infringement and
> selling
> >licensing won't generate that kind of revenue.

> Well first they bought Tiger Electronics not Atari? Why would they buy
> both unless they had something planned, would be too much a waste of
> money. Game.com is not moving on shelves too well. Perhaps they want to
> do something in the way of video games but need a largely remembered
> name like Atari. Suing for patent and copyright infingement could get
> you good money depending on who or what is involvled. If it is simply
> Jon Doe's Video Game Inc infinged on the patent of a design of
> something totally meaningless by todays standard, you wouldnt get much,
> but if it was Nintendo, Sony or Sega you could fetch more (Atari did
> once already on Sega) especially if it had to do with something in the
> Playstation console itself that couldnt be changed they could claim
> damages millions and maybe make quite a bit of money.

Hasbro bought Tiger because of their excellent position in children's
electronics.  Tiger makes tons of handheld games, including all of the
game show units (Wheel, Family Feud, Jeopardy!, etc.), Giga Pets, and
the children's educational "computers" (they are the only real
competition to V-Tech).  Hasbro is trying to keep up with Mattel in the
toy industry; both are running around buying up all of the smaller toy
companies that complement the businesses that they already own.  Tiger
was attractive to them because they really don't have anything in the
way of handheld electronics or kid's computers.  They also got ahold of
the game show licenses, which their other divisions can use, like Parker
Brothers, Milton Bradley, and CAP Toys (candy - you've probably seen the
Connect Four and Monopoly candy...expect more!)

Tiger was also bought by Hasbro, Inc., while Atari was purchased by
Hasbro Interactive.  This may mean nothing, but it may signal that Tiger
is considered more of a toy company to Hasbro, while Atari is considered
more of a software company.  I personally would expect HI to use the
software licenses first, making new versions of the titles that they now
own, then maybe look at the videogame market to see if it is a viable
market for them.  They don't own facilities to make something as large
as a CD console system and would not be able to make one as cheaply as
someone like Philips, but they might license the Atari name.  The
portable market is about to change a bit with the new Nintendo color
portable, so if they're smart, they will wait and see what happens
there.  Just my $0.02 (still $0.02 with tax!!)

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> And as for the
> ST, what I heard was 600,000 units sold worldwide the first year with ha
> lf of that in the US.  Then for some unknown reason,  pulled support in
> the US

In the late 80's in Europe, the ST outsold even IBM in terms of volume of
'personal computers' i.e. they sold moire STs than IBM sold PCs. Atari was
in fact 3rd highest seller by volume at one point.

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Mr Maddo » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

BTW, I sent it to the "wrong" newsgroup even though they're into Atari
game systems so it's still revelent.  So I'm forwarding this to the two
Atari comptuer newsgroups where it 'belongs' :)

> [...]

> by Pennsylvannia State law.  Administrators of the domain from where
> the offending e-mail has been sent will be notified of such actions,by
> any means necessary.

> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*******************>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> (For private chats only)

> > Speaking of product life cycles...

> > Does anyone think there's a chance that the speed with which video game
> > consoles appear and disappear from the market no adays will ultimately
> > end up affecting sales in a negative way.

> > Will consumers either stop purchasing new machines because they're pissed
> > off that the machine they just dropped $200 on is obsolete and discontinued.
> > Or will they wait for the current technology to become discontinued
> > so they can buy it at bargain ba*t prices? (or like me, wait for
> > it to become really really old so they can buy it for $5 at the
> > Salvation Army).

> Usually, games systems will last about five years from when they first
> come out to when they become obsolete.  And that's usually because they
> come out with a better machine, the frist sign of death is "extending"
> it's life by coming out with games where the graphics are pushed to their
> utter limits as well as dirt cheap prices.

> As for that previous statement by Sinclap (I didn't include it for health
> reasons), I'll make a special point of saying that Sony may come out with
> a second generation of Playstation that's 64-bit to compete with the
> upcoming Sega Katana and Project X.  And perhaps this will make Nintendo
> 64 developers start using that real wicked hardware for more than just
> kiddie games and 32-bit knockoffs.

> But there was speculation as to if they'll make it compatible with current
> PSX titles.  I think they should as current owners can just upgrade the
> machine and keep their games which makes the transistion much more viable.
> But there are concerns about developers only making 32-bit PSX games
> instead of taking advantage of the new 64-bit ones.  Well game makers
> "love" to play around with the latest cool hardware, it's the marketing
> idiots that will hender anything.  And if Sony decides to flat out stop
> support the old 32-bit Playstation(or at least wein it) after it comes out
> with the 64-bit version, then that will be better than what we've seen
> with the 7800.  You know...both 7800 and 2600 versions coming out at once.
> But which would you buy? :)

> > It just seems like now adays video game machines don't last as long as they
> > used to "in the olden days".

> Actually, as far as games goes...they keep coming out with these "sequels"
> to mostly fighting games which aren'tmuch different except for a couple
> of characters and a few more moves. :P

> Eric Noss
> a.k.a
> Mr. Maddog

> "Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem. It's a mistake.
>        I have low esteem for everyone else." - Daria

Eric Noss
a.k.a
Mr. Maddog

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Peter S.

So, how's Apple doing these days? Oh yes, I forgot, they're still taking
the world over etc. Nice one Pete.

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> That simply isn't true. The Atari ST was a cheap design. It was designed
>  too quickly with no real innovation (try to think about the Sinclair
> QL, which was almost the same design and was produced 2 years before, or
> about the Amiga which was first introduced as a prototype a whole year
> before the ST).

The MIDI ports were pretty radical at the time and still are to an extent.
 It also had a huge amount of RAM compared to other machines, even PCs and
Amigas although both soon matched and then beat it in that department.

Agree with everything else though!