Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Rob Merri » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>> but if Hasbro and Project X can work this
>>>properly, I think it'd be a valid shot. This is also considering Hasbro
>>would
>>>have the money to do an all-out advertising campaign, comparable to those of
>>>Sony and Nintendo.

>>Face facts people. The Lynx, Jaguar, and ST were all better than their
>>competition, yet all bombed. I got burnt a number of times by buying
>>Atari. Don't get your hopes up for a new and improved anything with
>>the Atari name.

>Actually, the only one that really bombed was the Jaguar.  Don't know much
>about the Lynx, but I did see it sold in quite a few places.  And as for the
>ST, what I heard was 600,000 units sold worldwide the first year with half of
>that in the US.  Then for some unknown reason,  pulled support in the US.  I
>know I was very confused at the decision at the time, the US is the market to
>sell items.

The ST sold around 4 to 7 million units world wide.
The Atari 7800 sold around three million units.
The Lynx sold around 1 to 2 million units
The Jaguar sold around 250,000 units
The Falcon sold around 30,000 units but they sold all that they made
so who knows what the sales possiblities were?

Starting with the Lynx and on, it appeared that Atari was trying to
commit suicide. Atari did everything they could to mess up the Lynx.
From poor advertising (when they did advertise), to snubing major
retailers.
The Jaguar has problems. Lets leave it at that.

Rob Merritt
My Might and Magic page:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html
My Toy page starring Micronauts and LegoBlocks:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/micro.html

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Rob Merri » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>Don't tell me that Hasbro is going to reintroduce the Jag console in it

>>Peter S.

>Sincflop?
>Yeah, that's the voice how we are missing for some month!!
>We can't live without your famous intelligence..

>Back to the roots..

Yesh, if this keeps up, it will just be like the old days.

Post by Chris Crackne » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the Atari
>> label.......

>> I'm sure in the coming months rumors will start to appear everywhere!

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Speaking of rumours, just what the heck is this "Project X" thing everyone
is talking about? Am I the only person on the planet who has no clue what
this is about?

                                  CRACKERS
                        (Project X-Files from hell!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Chris Crackne » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the Atari
>> label.......

>> I'm sure in the coming months rumors will start to appear everywhere!

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Speaking of rumours, just what the heck is this "Project X" thing everyone
is talking about? Am I the only person on the planet who has no clue what
this is about?

                                  CRACKERS
                        (Project X-Files from hell!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/
Bira Bira Devotee - FES Member - Samurai Pizza Cats Fan| =\/=

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Chris Crackne » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Don't tell me that Hasbro is going to reintroduce the Jag console in it
>current technelogical form considering that the Playstation kicks it and now
>is in it's last legs of the product life cycle.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Speaking of product life cycles...

Does anyone think there's a chance that the speed with which video game
consoles appear and disappear from the market no adays will ultimately
end up affecting sales in a negative way.

Will consumers either stop purchasing new machines because they're pissed
off that the machine they just dropped $200 on is obsolete and discontinued.
Or will they wait for the current technology to become discontinued
so they can buy it at bargain ba*t prices? (or like me, wait for
it to become really really old so they can buy it for $5 at the
Salvation Army).

It just seems like now adays video game machines don't last as long as they
used to "in the olden days".

                                CRACKERS
                     (Disappearing acts from hell!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.veryComputer.com/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/

Post by Dan Mazurowsk » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Speaking of rumours, just what the heck is this "Project X" thing everyone
> is talking about? Am I the only person on the planet who has no clue what
> this is about?

Possibly!   ;)

Project X (I think it is also called Merlin) is a new game system
designed by VM Labs. Many former Atari people worked on the design,
including one or two of the engineers who designed the Jaguar and
Midsummer machines, and programmer Jeff Minter (Tempest 2000, Llamatron,
Defender 2000, and so on.) And Bill Rehbock, another former Atarian,
left his position at Sony to head up the recruitment of third party
developers for Project X.

The marketing model sounds similair to the 3DO - multiple manufacturers
sign a license to build hardware. There are supposedly several "Sony
sized" manufacturers already signed on, but the only one known at this
time is Phillips. They have said we will learn a lot more at E3.

It is the clear Atari connection to the hardware's designers that makes
many people feel like this console will be the unofficial heir to the
Atari legacy. In fact there was a rumor that Phillips was seeking to
license the Atari name from JTS for their model of the Project X
console. So while their is no concrete connection between Project X and
Hasbro's purchase, many of us hope that there will bo one eventually.

--
Check out my video game retrospect web site!

http://home1.gte.net/smedley/index.htm

To reply via e-mail, edit my ID.

Post by Geoff Oltman » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> The problem with everyone's speculations as to whether or not "Atari"
> can rise from the ashes is...public perception.  I spent 13 years as a
> video game/computer software store manager.  Up until a year and 1/2
> ago.  Problem is that right now the public, by and large, perceive
> the company called "Atari" (and they DON'T know the difference
> between Midway's Atari and Hasbro's Atari!) is for the most part a
> has-been company.  An outfit that makes sucky products that are
> now being cleared out for $50 per console at a toy store chain.  A
> company that used to be cool, but can no longer cut the mustard.

> Obviously, NOT MY OPINION.  But, realistically, the opinion of the
> vast majority of folks who spend $$$$$'s out there, and aren't "in
> the know".  Mention Atari to anyone who owns a PSX or N64, and they
> start talking about the VCS they have in their attic.  They would
> not dream that you  could be talking about anything after that!

> Obviously, for the name "ATARI" to become a powerhouse name once
> more, it will take more than a cook, killer console.  It will take
> lots of well-done PR, probably in "stealth" mode (the public can't
> be aware that they're trying to have their hearts won back over to
> the name once more).  Part of me thinks it will be much, MUCH easier
> to turn a new, different name into a powerhouse than it will be to
> find a way to rehabilitate the public's opinion's of an outfit
> called "Atari".

I've think you've got the right idea. Stealth PR is not a bad idea.
Besides, I think we can all safely say that Atari's public enemy #1 is
the press. Judging from the Jaguar press that was received, "Jag is not
64-bits" "Jag is 16-bit" "Jag uses two 32-bit processors in tandem"
yadda yadda yadda. Basically I think the Atari name needs to stay out of
* magazines since most of the writers for these magazines are
idiots.

Basically, good private PR and a big CES showing would be the prescribed
medicine.

*Geoff!*

--
Geoff Oltmans - CPE Undergrad University of Alabama in Huntsville
KERNAL = Keyboard Entry Read Network And Link

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Geoff Oltman » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> The problem with everyone's speculations as to whether or not "Atari"
> can rise from the ashes is...public perception.  I spent 13 years as a
> video game/computer software store manager.  Up until a year and 1/2
> ago.  Problem is that right now the public, by and large, perceive
> the company called "Atari" (and they DON'T know the difference
> between Midway's Atari and Hasbro's Atari!) is for the most part a
> has-been company.  An outfit that makes sucky products that are
> now being cleared out for $50 per console at a toy store chain.  A
> company that used to be cool, but can no longer cut the mustard.

> Obviously, NOT MY OPINION.  But, realistically, the opinion of the
> vast majority of folks who spend $$$$$'s out there, and aren't "in
> the know".  Mention Atari to anyone who owns a PSX or N64, and they
> start talking about the VCS they have in their attic.  They would
> not dream that you  could be talking about anything after that!

> Obviously, for the name "ATARI" to become a powerhouse name once
> more, it will take more than a cook, killer console.  It will take
> lots of well-done PR, probably in "stealth" mode (the public can't
> be aware that they're trying to have their hearts won back over to
> the name once more).  Part of me thinks it will be much, MUCH easier
> to turn a new, different name into a powerhouse than it will be to
> find a way to rehabilitate the public's opinion's of an outfit
> called "Atari".

I've think you've got the right idea. Stealth PR is not a bad idea.
Besides, I think we can all safely say that Atari's public enemy #1 is
the press. Judging from the Jaguar press that was received, "Jag is not
64-bits" "Jag is 16-bit" "Jag uses two 32-bit processors in tandem"
yadda yadda yadda. Basically I think the Atari name needs to stay out of
* magazines since most of the writers for these magazines are
idiots.

Basically, good private PR and a big CES showing would be the prescribed
medicine.

*Geoff!*

--
Geoff Oltmans - CPE Undergrad University of Alabama in Huntsville
KERNAL = Keyboard Entry Read Network And Link
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Geoff Oltman » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Face facts people. The Lynx, Jaguar, and ST were all better than their
> competition, yet all bombed. I got burnt a number of times by buying
> Atari. Don't get your hopes up for a new and improved anything with
> the Atari name.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for any more Atari Computers period. After
all, Atari computers division lost all of their computer development
team (that's the ST/TT and Falcon crowd), they'd either have to track
down the old people (which have jobs elsewhere) or get new people (which
would require training/learning time).

I think it far more likely that we'll see Atari games for the PC or
other platforms, and possibly a re-release of the Lynx or something of
the sort.

*Geoff!*

--
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/geoff

Post by Sheldon H. Winic » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

    > I don't like the tramiels.
    > (From the first day he put his thick fingers into atari)

That is an all-too-common theme of many of these messages, but lets be
realistic here.  Granted, the Tramiels marketing blunders obviously doomed
TOS to eventual failure in the marketplace, but without the Tramiels, Atari
would have been dead and burried in 1983 after Warner Communications ran
the company into the ground.  Without the Tramiels, there would have been
_NO_ Atari 130XE, 520ST, 1040ST, Portfolio, STe, MegaST, SLM804, MegaSTe,
SLM605, TT030, Falcon, Lynx, Jaguar, etc.

As frustrating as all the Tramiel's marketing blunders obviously are to us
diehard Atarians, keep in mind that without them, we wouldn't even have had
any of these incredible systems.  Because of these systems, we Atarians
were able to enjoy user-friendly operating systems and software a full
decade ahead of the rest of the personal computer industry, and a reliable,
frustration-free operating system that is still unequalled even by today's
most current systems.

Sheldon (Computer STudio - Asheville, NC)

Post by BELJAN » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

>>> Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the
Atari
>>> label.......

>>> I'm sure in the coming months rumors will start to appear
everywhere!
^~^~^~

>Speaking of rumours, just what the heck is this "Project X" thing
everyone
>is talking about? Am I the only person on the planet who has no clue
what
>this is about?

Its the mystery video game system from VM Labs. It is rumored to be
more powerful than Sega's Katana and may use a DVD but other than that
details are few and far between.