Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Jon D. Mel » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00







>>> I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
>>> games.  But, what are we talking about here?

>>A one dimensional game? Wouldn't that be like an infinitely thin line
>on
>>the screen? Wow, that'd be kinda like playing pong with a toothpick
>shaped
>>monitor!
>>:0

>Just for thought, has anyone ever considered calling a 2D game 3D
>because it is playing from a Picture Tube which in itself is 3D? That
>would be funny, by that definition, all side scrollers would now be
>considered 3D games.

Actually, all computer games are 2D because the CRT has a disply that
is is only two dimensions.  In order to be true 3D, one would have to
use one of the available stereoscopic methods like LCD shutter glasses
and such with it.

Hehehe.

*** Please make sure responses are also sent via email.

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Chris Crackne » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00



>Face facts people. The Lynx, Jaguar, and ST were all better than their
>competition, yet all bombed. I got burnt a number of times by buying
>Atari. Don't get your hopes up for a new and improved anything with
>the Atari name.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

And the reason why those superior products fails rests largely on the
managerial and marketing incompetence of the Tramiels. They're the ones
who ran the company into the ground. Hasbro is the world's second largest
toy company so I'm willing to be they have the marketing and managerial
savy to redeem the name Atari.

Developers will be much more eager to make games for an Atari machine
under Hasbro than they ever would have been to make one for
Atari under the Tramiels.

Gee, if Hasbro does reserect Atari ther'll be a book called
"The rise and fall, and rise and fall, and rise of Atari" ;)

                                CRACKERS
                       (never say die from hell!!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/
Bira Bira Devotee - FES Member - Samurai Pizza Cats Fan| =\/=

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Dan Mazurowsk » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00



> They should have just put it on ebay.

Good one! I'll be lauging my ass off for DAYS!!!

--
Check out my video game retrospect web site!

http://home1.gte.net/smedley/index.htm

To reply via e-mail, edit my ID.

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Scott 'Steg' Hanse » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00




> writes:

> >Well, the Jaguar II design (AKA Project Midsummer) was completed, and
> >was supposedly quite powerful. I believe the hardware could compete if
> >they came up with some good software for it. But I would sooner bet
> >that
> >Hasbro is a Project X licensee then say they intend to revive the
> >Midsummer architecture.

> I heard somewhere that it could supposedly do 5,000,000 polygons a
> second, which if true would make it plenty powerful.

Thats probably 5,000,000 'marketing polygons'... =)
--
Scott 'Steg' Hansen
==================================================
Home: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/3926
==================================================
Check out the best C64 Cart List on the net!
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/3926/c64_list.html
==================================================
 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Dan Mazurowsk » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00



> Speculation: (in order of likely-hood)

> 1) Hasbro plans to make a new toy that incorporates technology for which
> Atari owns the patent so they bought to Atari assets to avoid any lisencing
> difficulties.

Nah. Considering how desperate JTS is for cash, they could have gotten
the license for said technology much cheaper.

Quote:

> 2) Hasbro is only interested in the game franchises so that they can make
> games for other systems using Atari owned characters and lisences.

This sounds very likely. Regardless of what else Hasbro may do with the
Atari properties, I am quite sure we'll see this.

Quote:

> 3) Hasbro wants to enter the handheld game market and plans to rerelease
> the Lynx.

This also sounds possible to me. Purchasing Tiger shows they have an
interest in the handheld market, and perhaps even gives them a plant or
two to manufacture the Lynx in. Perhaps even the ability to fabricate
their own LCD screens? Should bring down manufacturing costs
considerably!

Wouldn't a faster, higher-resolution Lynx be cool? Woo-hoo! (Imagine a
Lynx with a 320x200 screen, running at double the clock speed, with 3D
support in hardware, and a built-in [or bundled] TV tuner, all for only
$99. I like it!)

But man, I really hope they don't try to sell it as the Tiger Lynx!
Yuck.

Quote:

> 4) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to rerelease
> the Jaguar as a "budget" home video game console for around $50.

No way, they couldn't manufacture the Jaguar chep enough to really meet
this price point. And the Jaguar's dated technology and poor reputation
would really be unable to compete against the strong current market
share of the PSX and N64. I love my Jaguar, but I'm afaid it is too dead
for this.

Quote:

> 5) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to release
> an upgraded Jaguar to compete against the N-64 and PS.

Well, the Jaguar II design (AKA Project Midsummer) was completed, and
was supposedly quite powerful. I believe the hardware could compete if
they came up with some good software for it. But I would sooner bet that
Hasbro is a Project X licensee then say they intend to revive the
Midsummer architecture.

Quote:

> Fantasy: (In order of what I'd most wish for)

> 1) Atari will be fully revived and once again take it's rightful place
> as a leader and innovator in the computer and video games industry.

Any notion of Hasbro putting the Atari logo on a piece of hardware
pretty much goes hand-in-hand with this one!

Quote:

> 2) Hasbro wants to make a very cheap hand held game machine. What they
> make is actually a small, portable Atari 7800 with a built in backlit
> LCD screen. They rerelease the entire Atari catalogue of 7800 and 2600
> games which sell for 50 cents each and the hand held unit itself sells
> for under $30.

Never happen. And personally, I'd rather see the Lynx come back. Though
it would be cool to see a 2600/7800 emulator for the Lynx. You could
easily cram a couple dozen games on a single Lynx cart, along with the
emu software. (Hey, it could happen - the Lynx does have a 6502-based
CPU, after all!)

--
Check out my video game retrospect web site!

http://home1.gte.net/smedley/index.htm

To reply via e-mail, edit my ID.

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Robert Schaffn » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00



>Don't tell me that Hasbro is going to reintroduce the Jag console in it
>Peter S.

Sincflop?
Yeah, that's the voice how we are missing for some month!!
We can't live without your famous intelligence..

Back to the roots..

Regards, Robert

--

   ###   __________________________________________________________
  # # #               F030-520ST-Jaguar-Mac Lynx I + II    
 #  #  #    http://www.rhein-main.de/people/robert/homepage.htm

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Rob Merri » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00




>>Hasbro isn't a stupid little company.

>That's exaclty what i think. Nobody spends $5Mio Dollar for nothing.
>I hope they are firm enough to use the technical base!

It would be fun to see them try the home computer/game computer
concept again using an upgrade of one of the Atari platforms. I doubt
its going to happen. We'll probably just see software and if we do see
hardware it'll be something new.

Rob Merritt
My Might and Magic page:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html
My Toy page starring Micronauts and LegoBlocks:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/micro.html

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00



writes:

Quote:

>Well, the Jaguar II design (AKA Project Midsummer) was completed, and
>was supposedly quite powerful. I believe the hardware could compete if
>they came up with some good software for it. But I would sooner bet
>that
>Hasbro is a Project X licensee then say they intend to revive the
>Midsummer architecture.

I heard somewhere that it could supposedly do 5,000,000 polygons a
second, which if true would make it plenty powerful.
 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Robert Schaffn » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>It would be fun to see them try the home computer/game computer
>concept again using an upgrade of one of the Atari platforms. I doubt
>its going to happen. We'll probably just see software and if we do see
>hardware it'll be something new.

Well, i don't now..
We have to wait.
Two days ago i was suprised to read some messages about the deal.

It's realy great, the best message since lightyears..  :->

I don't like the tramiels.
(From the first day he put his thick fingers into atari)

Regards, Robert
--

   ###   __________________________________________________________
  # # #               F030-520ST-Jaguar-Mac Lynx I + II    
 #  #  #    http://www.rhein-main.de/people/robert/homepage.htm

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Bill R. Co » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00


re: 3d vs 2d...

Your argument regarding "since the projecting apparatusis 3d,
then the image must be 3d" breaks down when you consider a
slide projector. When it projects an image to a theoretically
perfect screen, the image itself has no depth unless you look
at light as a particle. But so far we have not been able to
resolve the particle/wave dispute. My own idea is that it is
something _else_, that we as humans in our particular frame of
reference cannot see it as it is. Perhaps it is 4-D or more in
nature, and humand find it difficult at best to perceive more
than 3 simultaneous dimensions.
--

/ | \Atari- Innovative Leisure.                             / | \

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Jon D. Mel » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00


On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:14:10 -0500, Alan Christie


>Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
>$5,000 US...  the once powerful dominator of the 80s video game industry
>has been reduced to $5,000...  Do you know what Hasbro plans for the Atari
>Fuji symbol et al?

Here is a quote from the EDGAR system...  "...for $5,000,000 in cash."
That sure looks like FIVE MILLION to me.  I cut and pasted that so it
is not a typing error on my part.

*** Please make sure responses are also sent via email.

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by WLMENTI » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>> but if Hasbro and Project X can work this
>>properly, I think it'd be a valid shot. This is also considering Hasbro
>would
>>have the money to do an all-out advertising campaign, comparable to those of
>>Sony and Nintendo.

>Face facts people. The Lynx, Jaguar, and ST were all better than their
>competition, yet all bombed. I got burnt a number of times by buying
>Atari. Don't get your hopes up for a new and improved anything with
>the Atari name.

Actually, the only one that really bombed was the Jaguar.  Don't know much
about the Lynx, but I did see it sold in quite a few places.  And as for the
ST, what I heard was 600,000 units sold worldwide the first year with half of
that in the US.  Then for some unknown reason,  pulled support in the US.  I
know I was very confused at the decision at the time, the US is the market to
sell items.

Another whoops?  And who knows how the Jaguar could've done if only it had been
heavily advertised.  But I guess too many of the major retail outlets had
gotten poor treatment with the 8-bit computers and wouldn't carry Atari
products.

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Robert Schaffn » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>It would be fun to see them try the home computer/game computer
>concept again using an upgrade of one of the Atari platforms. I doubt
>its going to happen. We'll probably just see software and if we do see
>hardware it'll be something new.

Well, i don't now..
We have to wait.
Two days ago i was suprised to read some messages about the deal.

It's realy great, the best message since lightyears..  :->

I don't like the tramiels.
(From the first day he put his thick fingers into atari)

Regards, Robert
--

   ###   __________________________________________________________
  # # #               F030-520ST-Jaguar-Mac Lynx I + II    
 #  #  #    http://www.rhein-main.de/people/robert/homepage.htm

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Rob Merri » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00




>>Don't tell me that Hasbro is going to reintroduce the Jag console in it

>>Peter S.

>Sincflop?
>Yeah, that's the voice how we are missing for some month!!
>We can't live without your famous intelligence..

>Back to the roots..

Yesh, if this keeps up, it will just be like the old days.

Rob Merritt
My Might and Magic page:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html
My Toy page starring Micronauts and LegoBlocks:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/micro.html

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Jon D. Mel » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00


On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:14:10 -0500, Alan Christie


>Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
>$5,000 US...  the once powerful dominator of the 80s video game industry
>has been reduced to $5,000...  Do you know what Hasbro plans for the Atari
>Fuji symbol et al?

Here is a quote from the EDGAR system...  "...for $5,000,000 in cash."
That sure looks like FIVE MILLION to me.  I cut and pasted that so it
is not a typing error on my part.

*** Please make sure responses are also sent via email.