Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Tim » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> but if Hasbro and Project X can work this
>properly, I think it'd be a valid shot. This is also considering Hasbro would
>have the money to do an all-out advertising campaign, comparable to those of
>Sony and Nintendo.

Face facts people. The Lynx, Jaguar, and ST were all better than their
competition, yet all bombed. I got burnt a number of times by buying
Atari. Don't get your hopes up for a new and improved anything with
the Atari name.

Tim

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by James D. Ke » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: >Retro PC Atari titles and titles for other systems, and hope for a
: >Project X licensing with Atari on the case and Atari Retro Project X software,

: It's never really been that successful in the past though. It didn't
: save the Jag, and Tempest 2000 wasn't an amazing success. I think
: there's a limited market for 1-dimensional games that only last 3
: minutes, which basically is most of the Atari licenses.

I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
games.  But, what are we talking about here?

--James Keim

Post by The Lambert » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Atari is dead. It died when JTS merged with it. The question is, will
> a new company called Atari, with the spirt of old, will come into
> being. The worse thing that will happen is that the Atari name and
> some old Atari games will come out in new updated software titles.
> Hasbro isn't a stupid little company.

The problem with everyone's speculations as to whether or not "Atari"
can rise from the ashes is...public perception.  I spent 13 years as a
video game/computer software store manager.  Up until a year and 1/2
ago.  Problem is that right now the public, by and large, perceive
the company called "Atari" (and they DON'T know the difference
between Midway's Atari and Hasbro's Atari!) is for the most part a
has-been company.  An outfit that makes sucky products that are
now being cleared out for $50 per console at a toy store chain.  A
company that used to be cool, but can no longer cut the mustard.

Obviously, NOT MY OPINION.  But, realistically, the opinion of the
vast majority of folks who spend $$$$$'s out there, and aren't "in
the know".  Mention Atari to anyone who owns a PSX or N64, and they
start talking about the VCS they have in their attic.  They would
not dream that you  could be talking about anything after that!

Obviously, for the name "ATARI" to become a powerhouse name once
more, it will take more than a cook, killer console.  It will take
lots of well-done PR, probably in "stealth" mode (the public can't
be aware that they're trying to have their hearts won back over to
the name once more).  Part of me thinks it will be much, MUCH easier
to turn a new, different name into a powerhouse than it will be to
find a way to rehabilitate the public's opinion's of an outfit
called "Atari".

No, Hasbro will do much better pushing the trademarks of the GAMES
that have names that folks fondly remember: Centipede, Warlords,
Asteroids, etc.  Even Yar's Revenge (which started life as a Star
Castle home version) is still held in high regard with many folks
going down memory lane.  New versions or collections with these
have a much better chance of making back the 5 mill that Hasbro
spent, IMHO.  Unless the public starts getting tired of the new
90's versions of old games.  How far can that go, exactly?

DAVE
--
         _ /        =======   ======     ==      ==
   ____~//\    _      ===     ==  ===    = ==  == =

Post by Dan Phillip » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Now, the question is, will Hasbro Interactive do anything worthwhile with
> Atari.  I did notice that the computers were specifically listed as being
> part of the deal.  It makes me curious that they specifically mentioned
> the computers (8-bit, ST, Falcon, and TOS), so does that mean there is
> some plan to use this for something?  I mean, $5 million for Atari is a
> good chunk of money.  I wonder who we can get to tell more of this deal.
> Sure enough $5 mil is not worth it for Atari's management......

> Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the Atari
> label.......

> I'm sure in the coming months rumors will start to appear everywhere!

What really gets me is they seem to have paid $5 million for $45 million
in Atari debt (and of course, the technology). They _really_ paid $50
million for the assets. They are obviously planning to do something real
with it, simply suing for patent and copyright infringement and selling
licensing won't generate that kind of revenue.

Secondly, I am puzzled by the omission of the TT in the hardware
listing. I gues they just hit on the biggies (though I would think there
are more TTs than Falcons), or is the TT an "ST".

I'm _still_ glad I sold the stock as soon as I came back up to
break-even. JTS isn't looking too healthy is it?

Dan

Post by Alan Christi » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
> $5,000 US...  the once powerful dominator of the 80s video game industry
> has been reduced to $5,000...  Do you know what Hasbro plans for the Atari
> Fuji symbol et al?

As many people have pointed out, I forgot a few zeroes on that figure..
whoops..  serves me right for reading mail at school when I should be
programming.  :) <grin>

Alan
University of Toronto
Computer Science, Management and Economics

Post by VE6H » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Face facts people. The Lynx, Jaguar, and ST were all better than their
> competition, yet all bombed. I got burnt a number of times by buying
> Atari. Don't get your hopes up for a new and improved anything with
> the Atari name.

But Tim - was the 'product' not a roaring success - in my view these
fine products failed to attract a very large market share solely due
to the lack of 'marketing' - most people never even heard of 'Atari'
other than for the older games machines that were well promoted in
their time.

When the 'Trammels' got involved in their money laundering operation
(at least that's how it seemed) they made absolutely no attempt to
'market' the product - which - upgraded a bit for the times - could be
successfully marketed today.

Or am I reading it wrong ???

The Canadian Curmudgeon (in cool, cloudy, Calgary)

Post by BELJAN » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
>> games.  But, what are we talking about here?

>A one dimensional game? Wouldn't that be like an infinitely thin line
on
>the screen? Wow, that'd be kinda like playing pong with a toothpick
shaped
>monitor!
>:0

Just for thought, has anyone ever considered calling a 2D game 3D
because it is playing from a Picture Tube which in itself is 3D? That
would be funny, by that definition, all side scrollers would now be
considered 3D games.

Post by BELJAN » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>What really gets me is they seem to have paid $5 million for $45
million
>in Atari debt (and of course, the technology). They _really_ paid $50
>million for the assets. They are obviously planning to do something
real
>with it, simply suing for patent and copyright infringement and
selling
>licensing won't generate that kind of revenue.

Well first they bought Tiger Electronics not Atari? Why would they buy
both unless they had something planned, would be too much a waste of
money. Game.com is not moving on shelves too well. Perhaps they want to
do something in the way of video games but need a largely remembered
name like Atari. Suing for patent and copyright infingement could get
you good money depending on who or what is involvled. If it is simply
Jon Doe's Video Game Inc infinged on the patent of a design of
something totally meaningless by todays standard, you wouldnt get much,
but if it was Nintendo, Sony or Sega you could fetch more (Atari did
once already on Sega) especially if it had to do with something in the
Playstation console itself that couldnt be changed they could claim
damages millions and maybe make quite a bit of money.

Post by The Maveric » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> For $5000, one of us would have bought it  ;-)

I believe that was the minimum bid when it was put up for auction on
Ebay.  ;-)

the Mav

--
Cliffhanger Serials, Boardgames, Videogames, and Red Baron I
 http://www.volcano.net/~themaverick

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>What really gets me is they seem to have paid $5 million for $45
million
>in Atari debt (and of course, the technology). They _really_ paid $50
>million for the assets. They are obviously planning to do something
real
>with it, simply suing for patent and copyright infringement and
selling
>licensing won't generate that kind of revenue.

Well first they bought Tiger Electronics not Atari? Why would they buy
both unless they had something planned, would be too much a waste of
money. Game.com is not moving on shelves too well. Perhaps they want to
do something in the way of video games but need a largely remembered
name like Atari. Suing for patent and copyright infingement could get
you good money depending on who or what is involvled. If it is simply
Jon Doe's Video Game Inc infinged on the patent of a design of
something totally meaningless by todays standard, you wouldnt get much,
but if it was Nintendo, Sony or Sega you could fetch more (Atari did
once already on Sega) especially if it had to do with something in the
Playstation console itself that couldnt be changed they could claim
damages millions and maybe make quite a bit of money.

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Maybe they'll re-release the Jaguar or something?

The only way they could make any money with Jaguar anymore would be to
get the Jag/Jag CD combo out at well under $100. That way they could
attract some 3rd party developers to the CD, but IMO it is too late in
the current generation to make enough that way, especially now that the
Saturn will be officially canned at the end of the month. Another
problem is power, the Jaguar is supposedly more powerful than Saturn
(the Jag CD supposedly allows optimum access to this power) but is
still is not at the level of Playstation in 3D. It probably could turn
out convincing 2D platformers and 2D fighters though. I think a Project
X liscense would be a better bet for the Atari name.