Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>What really gets me is they seem to have paid $5 million for $45
million
>in Atari debt (and of course, the technology). They _really_ paid $50
>million for the assets. They are obviously planning to do something
real
>with it, simply suing for patent and copyright infringement and
selling
>licensing won't generate that kind of revenue.

Well first they bought Tiger Electronics not Atari? Why would they buy
both unless they had something planned, would be too much a waste of
money. Game.com is not moving on shelves too well. Perhaps they want to
do something in the way of video games but need a largely remembered
name like Atari. Suing for patent and copyright infingement could get
you good money depending on who or what is involvled. If it is simply
Jon Doe's Video Game Inc infinged on the patent of a design of
something totally meaningless by todays standard, you wouldnt get much,
but if it was Nintendo, Sony or Sega you could fetch more (Atari did
once already on Sega) especially if it had to do with something in the
Playstation console itself that couldnt be changed they could claim
damages millions and maybe make quite a bit of money.

Post by Andre » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> JTS never had any intention of doing anything with Atari. The deal was
> they got $50m from the Tramiels and that was all they wanted. The fact
> that Atari came with it was of no interest to them.
> Did anyone really believe otherwise?

Actually JTS' primary interest in Atari was so they could go public without
having to go public.  By acquiring a company which had common stock available
on the American Exchange, JTS was able to convert that stock to JTS stock
(which had not existed at all before) and "go public" without having to go
through the standard procedures of going public.

But yes, it's true that JTS never had any intention of doing anything
worthwhile with Atari.  I'm surprised it took them this long to sell it.

--

Sysadmin, Insync Internet Services |  you with a clue."
Houston, Texas, USA                |          --The Afghan Whigs

Post by Frank Trau » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
> $5,000 US...  the once powerful dominator of the 80s video game industry
> has been reduced to $5,000...

For $5000, one of us would have bought it  ;-)

You forgot to add a few zero's to that figure. The Atari name definately
has some worth left in it. Hopefully with the renewed interest in
classic
*, Hasbro will capitalize on this. We'll see what happens though...

  -Frank

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Graham Thornto » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> 5 million is chump change for Hasbro, especially after just having
> purchased Tiger Electronics last month (Feb 9th) for 335 million.
> Which leads me to....

So Hasbro now owns Tiger, Atari and Colecovision.....

Given that Tiger aquired the rights to the Apple ][, that means Hasbro now
owns the rights to the:

Colecovision, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx and Jaguar
consoles

plus the:

Apple II/+/e/c/gs, Adam, Atari 400/800/XL/XE/GS, Atari ST and Falcon
computers

Hmmm,

perhaps someone at Hasbro is a classic computer/console enthusiast with
pots of money to spend - is the shell of Commodore next on thier shopping
list?? :)

On a more serious note, I don't know much about Hasbro - do they have the
financial resources to take on Sega and Nintendo if they wanted to??

Graham.

------------------------
remove the .nospam from the E-mail address to reply.

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by George Crissm » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Actually, the management at Hasbro has been
amazed at the tenacity and loyalty of Atari
owners and figures they could add to their
core customer base of reliable shoppers that
will stick with them through thick and thin.

-- George Crissman

>>I wonder what plans Hasbro has for atari. Theres' $$ in the arcade
>>division and home console games division. Hehe MAybe we'll see a new
>>atari console; then again maybe not hehehe.
>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

>Jack never owned the Atari arcade devision so he couldn't have sold that
>to Hasbro. As for what Hasbro has in mind, I have no idea. It's obvious
>they're after someone, nobody would shell out 5 million for the Atari
>assets just for the hell of it. Here are my guesses as to what's in
>store...

>Speculation: (in order of likely-hood)

>1) Hasbro plans to make a new toy that incorporates technology for which
>Atari owns the patent so they bought to Atari assets to avoid any lisencing
>difficulties.

>2) Hasbro is only interested in the game franchises so that they can make
>games for other systems using Atari owned characters and lisences.

>3) Hasbro wants to enter the handheld game market and plans to rerelease
>the Lynx.

>4) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to rerelease
>the Jaguar as a "budget" home video game console for around $50.

>5) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to release
>an upgraded Jaguar to compete against the N-64 and PS.

>Fantasy: (In order of what I'd most wish for)

>1) Atari will be fully revived and once again take it's rightful place
>as a leader and innovator in the computer and video games industry.

>2) Hasbro wants to make a very cheap hand held game machine. What they
>make is actually a small, portable Atari 7800 with a built in backlit
>LCD screen. They rerelease the entire Atari catalogue of 7800 and 2600
>games which sell for 50 cents each and the hand held unit itself sells
>for under $30.

>Okay, so let's here your speculations and fantasies as to what this
>buyout of the Atari assets will mean.

>                                   CRACKERS
>                        (Exciting news from hell!!!!!!)

>--

>Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
>*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/
>Bira Bira Devotee - FES Member - Samurai Pizza Cats Fan| =\/=

The Relationship Stress Test (For Guys) Measures Her Commitment
http://www.tmisnet.com/~strads/stress/index.html
Some Believe The Theory Of Dichotomy, But The Rest Of Us Do Not.

Post by Patrick Mulve » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> writes:

> >Cool! Now A toy company(Hasbro) owns Atari!!!

> Just to let John and anyone else interested know that I got email from
> Hasbro.
> Here it is.

> >Subj:   RE: Atari
> >Date:  98-03-12 09:37:34 EST

> >Thank you for your inquiry.  Please be advised that Hasbro had
> >definitely NOT acquired all righta and Trademarks of the Atari
> >Corporation.

> So what do we make of this?

 I must be getting brave lately since I did the same thing! I got
EXACTLY
the same response! (right down to the "righta" instead of "rights")
I later realized that Hasbro is the parent company to Hasbro Interactive

and then I contacted their PR person (Yes I know about the reliability
reputation of the PR people) but so far no answer! (nearly 2 days)
That in itself says something.......

                        Pat.

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Richard Maure » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Actually for $5000 about 50 of us would be FIGHTING for it :)

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Actually for $5000 about 50 of us would be FIGHTING for it :)

For $5000... I would have called all developers and asked for ports of
everything to Jag....

Post by Rob Merri » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Yea...And Commodore will rise from the ashes..

Atari is dead. It died when JTS merged with it. The question is, will
a new company called Atari, with the spirt of old, will come into
being. The worse thing that will happen is that the Atari name and
some old Atari games will come out in new updated software titles.
Hasbro isn't a stupid little company.
Rob Merritt
My Might and Magic page:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html
My Toy page starring Micronauts and LegoBlocks:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/micro.html

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Robert Schaffn » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hasbro isn't a stupid little company.

That's exaclty what i think. Nobody spends $5Mio Dollar for nothing.
I hope they are firm enough to use the technical base!

Regards, Robert

Atari isn't death. 'Atari' dies with the last user ...
We are the family :)

--

   ###   __________________________________________________________
  # # #               F030-520ST-Jaguar-Mac Lynx I + II

Post by BELJAN » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

>>> Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the
Atari
>>> label.......

>>> I'm sure in the coming months rumors will start to appear
everywhere!
^~^~^~

>Speaking of rumours, just what the heck is this "Project X" thing
everyone
>is talking about? Am I the only person on the planet who has no clue
what
>this is about?

Its the mystery video game system from VM Labs. It is rumored to be
more powerful than Sega's Katana and may use a DVD but other than that
details are few and far between.