Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Mathy Van Nisselr » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hello to all,

>     I was given an email earlier this morning from an individual who
>gave me a link for the Techstocks website, within the website it
>reference that JTS had filed an 8K form for the sale of assets,
>specifically Atari to Hasbro Interactive.

>   I decided the only way to know for sure if this was fact or fiction
>was to go to the source, since JTS is a publicly traded I went to the
>SEC site at www.sec.gov

>  So go to www.sec.gov, go to the Edgar Archives, select 8K and type in
>JTS for the ticker and Viola!!!   You get for February 23, 1998 the sale
>of most Atari assests to
>Hasbro for (GET THIS!!!) only $5,000,00!!!

>Its real, its true and its official, Atari has been
>sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Curt Vendel
>Atari Prototypes & Vaporwares Site
>www.atari.nu

OOOOOOOOOOOH   YES!!!

CU              Mathy Van Nisselroy

PS isn't it ironic.  We're finally a GAME COMPUTER  :-)

Post by Sal Manfredoni » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Can you all please stop crossposting this discussion to all the Atari
>groups and use the "advocacy" group for this?

>I'm posting this from the "comp.sys.atari.st" group which is intended for
>discussions on the use of the Atari ST series, not who owns which stocks
>etc..

I apologize if this sounds rude, as I don't intend it that way.

What amounts to the changing of hands of Atari ownership, IMHO, is pretty
darn relevant to any Atari-related newsgroup. I would imagine that most
Atari fans were elated at the news. Even though I don't know what plans
Hasbro has for their newly acquired Atari properties (which, BTW, does
include the ST line), I'd bet my bottom dollar that it's a whole hell of a
lot more than what JTS has done.

I don't blame anyone one bit for crossposting. To an Atari aficionado, this
is front page news; it deserves to be seen by anyone who shares even a
remote interest in anything to do with Atari.

http://www.gti.net/hysteria
"Your influence counts...use it!" -- Bob Grant

Post by The Maveric » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Speculation: (in order of likely-hood)

> 4) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to rerelease
> the Jaguar as a "budget" home video game console for around $50.

> 5) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to release
> an upgraded Jaguar to compete against the N-64 and PS.

You let a couple of fantasies slip onto your speculation list...

the Mav

--
Cliffhanger Serials, Boardgames, Videogames, and Red Baron I
 http://www.volcano.net/~themaverick

Post by Frank Trau » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
> $5,000 US...  the once powerful dominator of the 80s video game industry
> has been reduced to $5,000...

For $5000, one of us would have bought it  ;-)

You forgot to add a few zero's to that figure. The Atari name definately
has some worth left in it. Hopefully with the renewed interest in
classic
*, Hasbro will capitalize on this. We'll see what happens though...

  -Frank

Post by Alan Christi » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
$5,000 US...  the once powerful dominator of the 80s video game industry
has been reduced to $5,000...  Do you know what Hasbro plans for the Atari
Fuji symbol et al?

Alan
University of Toronto
Computer Science, Management and Economics

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Maurice Molynea » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> $5 million for Atari is a good chunk of money.

Um, a lot of video games there days are costing $3 million, so $5 mil
for an entie library of assets, patents, titles and a name is chicken
feed.

Post by Gregory D. Georg » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Why would they want to do something with the Lynx, although it probably
> was the cheapest portable game technology they could get, could make them
> cheap now...

The Lynx is probably one of the primary reasons for the purchase. It's not
really outdated when you compare it to the LameBoy.

You all might want to check out Jaguar Interactive II. There's someone there
(who I believe is from Hasbro) posting much information on this deal. The Lynx
is definitely part of it too...

http://www.atarihq.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/atarihq/jag/postit.cgi

|  |||     Greg George                                      |
|  |||     Editor, The Atari Times(US)                      |

| ATARI                                                     |
| TIMES    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/8341 |
| FREE!    http://venus.beseen.com/boardroom/c/17653/Date   |

Post by Iain Laske » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> <snip>
> > $5 million for Atari is a good chunk of money.

> Um, a lot of video games there days are costing $3 million, so $5 mil
> for an entie library of assets, patents, titles and a name is chicken
> feed.

Yup. $9m were the costs for Wing Commander IV ISTR.

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I would guess JTS was too strapped for cash to try to do anything with
> Atari. Perhaps that is why they were not open with Atari, they wanted
> to liscense stuff to make money.

JTS never had any intention of doing anything with Atari. The deal was
they got $50m from the Tramiels and that was all they wanted. The fact
that Atari came with it was of no interest to them.

Did anyone really believe otherwise?

Post by Jay Tilt » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
>$5,000 US...

Missed it by a few orders of magnitude.  Five million dollars.
--
Jay Tilton

Post by BELJAN » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Actually for $5000 about 50 of us would be FIGHTING for it :)

For $5000... I would have called all developers and asked for ports of
everything to Jag....