Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

>As for a new Atari console... I wonder if Hasbro is a Project X
>licensee?

I had a few thoughts of this myself, will they perhaps distribute them
under that Atari name? I heard Phillips was interested in the Atari
name for Project X, would they liscense its use from Hasbro?

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

> Thanks for the info. I read the document and one very interesting
>part
>is
>the fact that Hasbro will take the rights to the website domain
>"atari.com"
>It looks like Hasbro will be using the name Atari for something, but
>what
>that might be is still up for speculation.

Thats true, I suppose they could have let the site die if they had no
use for it, but since they took the site it would seem that they plan
on using it for something. I also noticed if I try to go to
http://www.atari.com it just sits hangs, claiming it is connecting, but
nothing becomes of it.

writes:

>> writes:

>> >5 million is chump change for Hasbro, especially after just having
>> >purchased Tiger Electronics last month (Feb 9th) for 335 million.
>> >Which leads me to....

>> Atari

>> >My conspiratorial mind is highly curious if there might end up
being
>> >some form of game.com / Atari collaboration now.  Perhaps use the
Lynx
>> >technology to give the Com a much-needed shot in the arm?

>> This makes sense too. First of all the Lynx is by no means outdated
>> considering how far handheld consoles go these days. Secondly no one
>> seems to want a Tiger Game.com, maybe they want and Atari Game.com.

>AtariGames.com is own by Atari Games Corporation  a subsidiary of
>Bally/Midway

I was referring to the Tiger Game.com console perhaps being renamed as
something dealing with Atari since they are not selling well.

Post by Chris Crackne » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Hello to all,

>     I was given an email earlier this morning from an individual who
>gave me a link for the Techstocks website, within the website it
>reference that JTS had filed an 8K form for the sale of assets,
>specifically Atari to Hasbro Interactive.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Hmmm... I wonder if Hasbro is planning to get into the game console business?
Maybe releasing a updated version of the Jag? Or maybe they want the
rights to the Jag's games to port them to the Playstation or N64?

Or maybe they're planning release a new TV-BOY? ;)

I wonder if Hasbro will be easier to deal with than Atari?

                                CRACKERS
                   (Saw this one comming from hell!!!!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by James R. Gilbe » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

(speculation)
10. Hasbro wants to sue somebody because they are copyright
freaks. (Nobody interested in Atari has any money, so
they can't get any money.)
Comment on sale of Atari to Hasbro.
From my point of view, it means that a large, active (in
Atari) corporation now owns the rights to all Atari
copyrights.
Being a bit paranoid, I'd suggest that any sites carrying
Pac-Man, Star Raiders, or any other Atari held product
should think about what Hasbro might want to do with those
products, ie. be careful about having Atari products up for
download. They may justifiably say such activities interfere
with their ability to make a profit, even if the activities
are without profit motive.
Russ

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> part of the deal.  It makes me curious that they specifically
mentioned
>> the computers (8-bit, ST, Falcon, and TOS), so does that mean there
is
>> some plan to use this for something?  I mean, $5 million for Atari
is a

>If they aren't intrested in the computer line or TOS, perhaps we can
see
>TOS under a open license or even freely aviable. The same goes for the
>hardware schematics, sadly there isn't much money left in a
computerline
>that was abadoned some 5 years ago, even if one as a enthusiast like
myself
>don't like that fact. Today people buys a PC not a homecomputer... ;-(
 But
>perhaps Hasbro are more open than JTS where.

>Just my 2 cents.

I would guess JTS was too strapped for cash to try to do anything with
Atari. Perhaps that is why they were not open with Atari, they wanted
to liscense stuff to make money.

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Preston F. Cr » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

So perhaps we should petition Hasbro to make some of the old Atari
8-bit and ST stuff freeware.

Maybe make the custom chip details public, and license theem for free
non-comercial (or limited production, say under 1000 units) use.

Perhaps relase the source for the various operating systems under
something like the Netscape Public License.

I think we should think about what they could do that would:
 a) make us hobiests happy
 b) not provide any advantage to their competitors
 c) not deprive them of potential future revenue
 d) not cost them much of anything to release

--PC

--
     "I'm guilty of a lot of things, but I didn't ever do that.''
          --Bill Clinton, on why he had astroturf lining the

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Alan Christi » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Wow...  A once million dollar business, Atari has been sold for a mere
$5,000 US...  the once powerful dominator of the 80s video game industry
has been reduced to $5,000...  Do you know what Hasbro plans for the Atari
Fuji symbol et al?

Alan
University of Toronto
Computer Science, Management and Economics

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Chris Crackne » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I wonder what plans Hasbro has for atari. Theres' $$ in the arcade
>division and home console games division. Hehe MAybe we'll see a new
>atari console; then again maybe not hehehe.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Jack never owned the Atari arcade devision so he couldn't have sold that
to Hasbro. As for what Hasbro has in mind, I have no idea. It's obvious
they're after someone, nobody would shell out 5 million for the Atari
assets just for the hell of it. Here are my guesses as to what's in
store...

Speculation: (in order of likely-hood)

1) Hasbro plans to make a new toy that incorporates technology for which
Atari owns the patent so they bought to Atari assets to avoid any lisencing
difficulties.

2) Hasbro is only interested in the game franchises so that they can make
games for other systems using Atari owned characters and lisences.

3) Hasbro wants to enter the handheld game market and plans to rerelease
the Lynx.

4) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to rerelease
the Jaguar as a "budget" home video game console for around $50.

5) Hasbro wants to enter the home console market and plans to release
an upgraded Jaguar to compete against the N-64 and PS.

Fantasy: (In order of what I'd most wish for)

1) Atari will be fully revived and once again take it's rightful place
as a leader and innovator in the computer and video games industry.

2) Hasbro wants to make a very cheap hand held game machine. What they
make is actually a small, portable Atari 7800 with a built in backlit
LCD screen. They rerelease the entire Atari catalogue of 7800 and 2600
games which sell for 50 cents each and the hand held unit itself sells
for under $30.

Okay, so let's here your speculations and fantasies as to what this
buyout of the Atari assets will mean.

                                   CRACKERS
                        (Exciting news from hell!!!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/
Bira Bira Devotee - FES Member - Samurai Pizza Cats Fan| =\/=

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by James R. Gilbe » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

(speculation)
10. Hasbro wants to sue somebody because they are copyright
freaks. (Nobody interested in Atari has any money, so
they can't get any money.)
Comment on sale of Atari to Hasbro.
From my point of view, it means that a large, active (in

Post by Sal Manfredoni » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Speculation: (in order of likely-hood)

>1) Hasbro plans to make a new toy that incorporates technology for which
>Atari owns the patent so they bought to Atari assets to avoid any lisencing
>difficulties.

I doubt it. After all, why pay $5 million for all of the rights just to
avoid licensing one of Atari's patents? Nintendo, Sega, and Sony are always
bumping into one or more of Atari's patents every day, yet this doesn't
bother them one bit.

Quote:>2) Hasbro is only interested in the game franchises so that they can make
>games for other systems using Atari owned characters and lisences.

I think this is the most likely possibility, myself.

Quote:>Fantasy: (In order of what I'd most wish for)

>1) Atari will be fully revived and once again take it's rightful place
>as a leader and innovator in the computer and video games industry.

I'm with you 100% on this one! :)

http://www.gti.net/hysteria
"Your influence counts...use it!" -- Bob Grant