Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by George Crissm » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Now, the question is, will Hasbro Interactive do anything worthwhile with
>Atari.

Somehow, the "Hasbro Falcon030" just doesn't have
the same cachet.  (I'd even prefer a "Wizztronics
Falcon030", come to think of it!)

-- George Crissman

Atari Falcon Resources
http://www.tmisnet.com/~strads/hq/atari.html

The Relationship Stress Test (For Guys) Measures Her Commitment
http://www.tmisnet.com/~strads/stress/index.html
Some Believe The Theory Of Dichotomy, But The Rest Of Us Do Not.

Post by BELJAN » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

>Now, the question is, will Hasbro Interactive do anything worthwhile
with
>Atari.  I did notice that the computers were specifically listed as
being
>part of the deal.  It makes me curious that they specifically
mentioned
>the computers (8-bit, ST, Falcon, and TOS), so does that mean there is
>some plan to use this for something?  I mean, $5 million for Atari is
>good chunk of money.  I wonder who we can get to tell more of this
deal.
>Sure enough $5 mil is not worth it for Atari's management......

>Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the Atari
>label.......

>I'm sure in the coming months rumors will start to appear everywhere!

Well, it is a possibility that Hasbro could distribute Project X units
made by an outside vendor and choose to use the Atari name...

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

>5 million is chump change for Hasbro, especially after just having
>purchased Tiger Electronics last month (Feb 9th) for 335 million.
>Which leads me to....

>>Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the
Atari
>>label.......

>My conspiratorial mind is highly curious if there might end up being
>some form of game.com / Atari collaboration now.  Perhaps use the Lynx
>technology to give the Com a much-needed shot in the arm?

This makes sense too. First of all the Lynx is by no means outdated
considering how far handheld consoles go these days. Secondly no one
seems to want a Tiger Game.com, maybe they want and Atari Game.com.
Secondly, purchasing two game companies leads me to believe they have
something planned. Perhaps Hasbro will make a console, portable or
standard (or even liscense Project X) and use technology from both
companies or names to form something.

Crissman) writes:

>>Now, the question is, will Hasbro Interactive do anything worthwhile
with
>>Atari.

>Somehow, the "Hasbro Falcon030" just doesn't have
>the same cachet.  (I'd even prefer a "Wizztronics
>Falcon030", come to think of it!)

I would think the want the Atari name perhaps for something else. Maybe
they want to release the Jaguar 2 and try to beat Playstation, in
theory it is more powerful than current consoles and could compete with
the next according to the few rumors surrounding it.

Post by Patrick Mulve » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hello to all,

>      I was given an email earlier this morning from an individual who
> gave me a link for the Techstocks website, within the website it
> reference that JTS had filed an 8K form for the sale of assets,
> specifically Atari to Hasbro Interactive.

>    I decided the only way to know for sure if this was fact or fiction

> was to go to the source, since JTS is a publicly traded I went to the
> SEC site at www.sec.gov

>   So go to www.sec.gov, go to the Edgar Archives, select 8K and type
> in
> JTS for the ticker and Viola!!!   You get for February 23, 1998 the
> sale
> of most Atari assests to
> Hasbro for (GET THIS!!!) only $5,000,00!!!

> Its real, its true and its official, Atari has been
> sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Curt Vendel
> Atari Prototypes & Vaporwares Site
> www.atari.nu

 Thanks for the info. I read the document and one very interesting part
is
the fact that Hasbro will take the rights to the website domain
"atari.com"
It looks like Hasbro will be using the name Atari for something, but
what
that might be is still up for speculation.

When Atari bought into JTS there were many who said that Atari was DEAD!

It definately looks like some restoration will be happening.

Thank you Hasbro in advance for whatever you may do!

Patrick Mulvey
Pres. LIAUG

(and thanks again Curt!)

Post by Harold Alley Jr » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> writes:

> >5 million is chump change for Hasbro, especially after just having
> >purchased Tiger Electronics last month (Feb 9th) for 335 million.
> >Which leads me to....

> >>Maybe Hasbro has a game system in the works and wants to use the
> Atari
> >>label.......

> >My conspiratorial mind is highly curious if there might end up being
> >some form of game.com / Atari collaboration now.  Perhaps use the Lynx
> >technology to give the Com a much-needed shot in the arm?

> This makes sense too. First of all the Lynx is by no means outdated
> considering how far handheld consoles go these days. Secondly no one
> seems to want a Tiger Game.com, maybe they want and Atari Game.com.

AtariGames.com is own by Atari Games Corporation  a subsidiary of
Bally/Midway

Post by Magnus Kollber » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >Now, the question is, will Hasbro Interactive do anything worthwhile with
> >Atari.

> Somehow, the "Hasbro Falcon030" just doesn't have
> the same cachet.  (I'd even prefer a "Wizztronics
> Falcon030", come to think of it!)

Hehehee.. I'm not sure I like any of them. Someone wanted to start some
rumors, here is one. I guess you all know of VM-Labs which are supposed to
cooperate with a number of big companies. I have no idea what Hasbro does,
but maybe JHasbro+VM-Labs have something to do with this as well? :-)

Another possibility would be that it would be esier for a seconde company
to buy out the computer part and TOS. As they sold the whole shit for
5 mill, I guess the computer part would be very cheap as I guess this is
not what they were after in the first place.

Well, maybe IBM could buy the computer and release a PPC TOS box, or Compac or
Dell could buy it just for the fun to rival Gateway2000? The price for the
computer part would be a fart in space for those guys. :-)))))

Anyway, here you are.

//Magnus Kollberg
  |  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/5132/  |

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Kent Johansso » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> part of the deal.  It makes me curious that they specifically mentioned
> the computers (8-bit, ST, Falcon, and TOS), so does that mean there is
> some plan to use this for something?  I mean, $5 million for Atari is a

If they aren't intrested in the computer line or TOS, perhaps we can see
TOS under a open license or even freely aviable. The same goes for the
hardware schematics, sadly there isn't much money left in a computerline
that was abadoned some 5 years ago, even if one as a enthusiast like myself
don't like that fact. Today people buys a PC not a homecomputer... ;-(  But
perhaps Hasbro are more open than JTS where.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards..

//Kent Johansson

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Chris Lanteig » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I thought I recently heard that Hasbro was laying off several hundred
>employees and closing a plant.  I wonder if the Atari purchase has anything
>to do with this.  Could be a refocusing of their management's vision.
>Hmmm... an Atari web-box?  No reason you can't sell one today for $99.

i believe those lay offs were planned to come at the factory in rhode
island. though i doubt that really has anything to do with the atari
purchase.

~chris

Post by Chris Gr » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>   So go to www.sec.gov, go to the Edgar Archives, select 8K and type in
> JTS for the ticker and Viola!!!   You get for February 23, 1998 the sale
> of most Atari assests to
> Hasbro for (GET THIS!!!) only $5,000,00!!!

You're just jealous Curt, because you didn't buy it for yourself. :)

(BTW the checque for the Riebl card is In The Mail.  At last.)

--

  Chris Gray

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Boston » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:>Cool! Now A toy company(Hasbro) owns Atari!!!

Just to let John and anyone else interested know that I got email from Hasbro.
Here it is.

>Subj:        RE: Atari
>Date:       98-03-12 09:37:34 EST

>Thank you for your inquiry.  Please be advised that Hasbro had
>definitely NOT acquired all righta and Trademarks of the Atari
>Corporation.

So what do we make of this?

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Johnny Zymurg » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

It occurs to me that if we all pooled our money together, WE could have
bought Atari!  C'mon guys, 50 of us with $100K a piece could do it.

Chris