Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00



In




>> writes:

>> >Well, the Jaguar II design (AKA Project Midsummer) was completed,
and
>> >was supposedly quite powerful. I believe the hardware could compete
if
>> >they came up with some good software for it. But I would sooner bet
>> >that
>> >Hasbro is a Project X licensee then say they intend to revive the
>> >Midsummer architecture.

>> I heard somewhere that it could supposedly do 5,000,000 polygons a
>> second, which if true would make it plenty powerful.

>Thats probably 5,000,000 'marketing polygons'... =)

Well......
 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Bill R. Co » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00


re: 3d vs 2d...

Your argument regarding "since the projecting apparatusis 3d,
then the image must be 3d" breaks down when you consider a
slide projector. When it projects an image to a theoretically
perfect screen, the image itself has no depth unless you look
at light as a particle. But so far we have not been able to
resolve the particle/wave dispute. My own idea is that it is
something _else_, that we as humans in our particular frame of
reference cannot see it as it is. Perhaps it is 4-D or more in
nature, and humand find it difficult at best to perceive more
than 3 simultaneous dimensions.
--

/ | \Atari- Innovative Leisure.                             / | \

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Tim » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:>But Tim - was the 'product' not a roaring success - in my view these
>fine products failed to attract a very large market share solely due
>to the lack of 'marketing' - most people never even heard of 'Atari'
>other than for the older games machines that were well promoted in
>their time.

>When the 'Trammels' got involved in their money laundering operation
>(at least that's how it seemed) they made absolutely no attempt to
>'market' the product - which - upgraded a bit for the times - could be
>successfully marketed today.

>Or am I reading it wrong ???

>The Canadian Curmudgeon (in cool, cloudy, Calgary)

I'm just a little bitter from what I consider being betrayed by the
Trammels. After hearing so many times that 'this year' would be 'the
year of Atari' only to see them only market in the New York City area
or maybe a couple of other local areas, it burns me up. I tried to do
my part by buying hundreds of dollars worth of hardware and software
only to see it become worthless as fewer and fewer places supported
the platform. I hate being at the mercy of Microsoft. But what's the
alternative? Even the Mac may not last much longer.  I suppose if my
needs were simpler, I could get by with my old 520 ST running Word Up
etc., but for my needs, it won't do. There- I got that off my chest.

Tim

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Maurice Molynea » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00


On Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:23:04 GMT,


>Even Frogger is 1-d. Although you can move left and right, you're only
>really choosing which "column" of cars to occupy. The essence of the
>game is timing when to go backwards or forwards.

You're really stretching credibility with some of your examples,
Frogger particularly.

--Maurice


http://members.tripod.com/~Molyneaux

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Dan & Jennife » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00




> Combat is essentially 1-dimensional, since when you fire, your bullet
> only ever goes in a straight line, and to avoid being hit you just
> avoid the line. While the lines and tanks *can* move, at any instant
> in time the attributes of the game are all 1-D.

> Even Frogger is 1-d. Although you can move left and right, you're only
> really choosing which "column" of cars to occupy. The essence of the
> game is timing when to go backwards or forwards.

> Pong / Breakout are 1-D, since the ball is the element you actually
> move, and it only has one vector, so does the bat. There's loads of
> them. They base their rules on intersecting lines, rather than
> intersecting blocks like say Mario or Ghouls 'n' Ghosts.

Huh?  If a game has x and y movement, it is two dimensional.

A vector used to describe the velocity of the "Pong" ball or "Combat"
bullet would need both x and y components.  

You're turning simple math into something difficult.

Later,

Dan

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by velcro_.. » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Pong is definitely 2 dimensional. It takes place on a plane with X and Y
movement and zero depth. Frogger is however 3 dimensional. The frog has
X and Y movement AND it jumps in the air to get past obstacles.

I tried to think of a good early 3 dimensional game and thought of
Battlezone, but GeT tHiS: Battlezone is not 3D! It offers the optical
illusion of being 3D but in fact it takes place on a plane, just like
Tanks for Atari 2600. Night Driver is not 3D either.

I think maybe the first standup arcade video game ever was 3D, "3D
Space?" by Nolan Bushnell. Outer Space for 2600 was also 3D.

vs

 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Craig S. Tho » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>I tried to think of a good early 3 dimensional game and thought of
>Battlezone, but GeT tHiS: Battlezone is not 3D! It offers the optical
>illusion of being 3D but in fact it takes place on a plane, just like
>Tanks for Atari 2600. Night Driver is not 3D either.

Yes, Battlezone does have 3D elements.  The smart missiles jump over
obstacles, and, if you get right up behind something, it can jump right over
you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Craig S. Thom       | "We've got a saying here in the Fire Department

 http://www.thom.org |            -Captain Duane Greer, St. Louis F.D.
 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Psyc » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00





>>I tried to think of a good early 3 dimensional game and thought of
>>Battlezone, but GeT tHiS: Battlezone is not 3D! It offers the optical
>>illusion of being 3D but in fact it takes place on a plane, just like
>>Tanks for Atari 2600. Night Driver is not 3D either.

>Yes, Battlezone does have 3D elements.  The smart missiles jump over
>obstacles, and, if you get right up behind something, it can jump right over
>you.

I believe Battlezone was marketed as the first ever 3D game.
 
 
 

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Zaph » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00



Quote:> At the time, Sinclair had been producing a multitasking (even if it was just
> task switching, really) computer running a windowed environnement on a
> Motorola 68008 (8/16bits microprocessor).

Ermm, the Sinclair QL, was definitely true preemptive multitasking, you
could even set the priorities and stuff.

--
======================================
Dave Denscombe (aka Zaphod)
   "There's a guy who really knows where
                           his towel is"   - Ford Prefect
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ICQ:                                      3719723

Web site:        http://www.denscicorp.force9.co.uk
======================================