Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Rob Merri » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I'm wondering the same thing about computers. The 333 MHz PC is about the
>hottest Windows machine you can get at a Fry's or CompUSA, yet I hear that in 2
>years, 1000 Mhz machines will be available, and the the 200 MHz machines of
>just last year won't be fast enough for the software that will come out in
>2000. So in 3 years, you go from $2000 computer to obsolete. Will consumers
>stand for that?

Unless an Alternative presents itself, yes. Back in 92 I thought that
at some point consumers would just get fed up with buying a new PC
every two years. I was wrong.

Rob Merritt
My Might and Magic page:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html
My Toy page starring Micronauts and LegoBlocks:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/micro.html

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Rob Merri » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>So if the Tramiels hadnt bought the systems other companies would have
>done this.

I'm not sure about the Lynx. It was a horrible mess when Atari got it
from Epyx. No where near production and suitors were limited.

Rob Merritt
My Might and Magic page:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html
My Toy page starring Micronauts and LegoBlocks:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/micro.html

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Greg Easterl » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

.  I personally would expect HI to use the

Quote:> software licenses first, making new versions of the titles that they now
> own, then maybe look at the videogame market to see if it is a viable
> market for them.  They don't own facilities to make something as large
> as a CD console system and would not be able to make one as cheaply as
> someone like Philips, but they might license the Atari name.  The
> portable market is about to change a bit with the new Nintendo color
> portable, so if they're smart, they will wait and see what happens
> there.  Just my $0.02 (still $0.02 with tax!!)

That is EXACTLY what they will do. Anyone notice the popularity of the
rerelease of Frogger for Playstation and PC? Hasbro is going to revamp and
rerelease some of the old Atari games like Missile Command in similar
fashion. I wouldn't expect to see a new atari-branded console from them,
though. Read more in today's Wall Street Journal, by the way. Good story
about the deal that even mentions retro*'s current popularity (it
talks a little bit about the MAME arcade emulator in there).
 Greg

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Greg Easterl » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
> games.  But, what are we talking about here?

A one dimensional game? Wouldn't that be like an infinitely thin line on
the screen? Wow, that'd be kinda like playing pong with a toothpick shaped
monitor!
:0

Greg

Post by Iain Laske » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > : If I recall, there was a POKE you could apply, causing the next
> > : RESET to coldboot the system.

> > > Purely from memory, I believe this one is "POKE 53774,1".

> > POKE 580,1 causes RESET to coldboot the system. I can't really remembe
> > what POKE 53774,1 does, but I think it's close! I think doing somethin
> > like POKE 16,64:POKE 53774,64 disabled the break key, but I'm not
> > completely sure!

> > There's also a way of causing RESET to make an error message, and then
> > you can use the TRAP command to cause the reset key to re-run your
> > programs - I can't remember exactly how that's done - I remember readi
> ng
> > something in an old Atari User I think... Hope this helps, or interest

Indeed. I can't remember the details but you poke the beginning of the
basic carts error trap code (probably in Mapping the Atari) into the reset
vector and then put a trap statement in your basic prog. When you hit
reset, it jumps to the trap line in the program. never failed for me.

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> : I'm not sure about the Lynx. It was a horrible mess when Atari got it
> : from Epyx. No where near production and suitors were limited.

> Could you elaborate rather than just handing off a statement like this
> without corroboration?

It sounded pretty clear and accurate to me...

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Iain Laske » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> net

> > >So, how's Apple doing these days? Oh yes, I forgot, they're still tak
> ing
> > >the world over etc. Nice one Pete.

> > Lets not pick on Apple. Its not nice to pick on the disabled when they
> > are on their last legs. :)

> And considering how they too are a Wintel victim like Atari, there's no
> point in bashing them at this point in the game.

It was Pete I was bashing, not Apple. If you're not aware of him, Pete is
a pain in the arse that joins every non-apple newsgroup and thinks up
purile names like Jagflop and goes on and on about how we all suck for not
loving Apple and how every other platform is crap.

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Mr. Atari Write » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On 16 Mar 1998, at 15:40:18 Bostone1 (bostone1 at that aol place)

->   So in 3 years, you go from $2000 computer to obsolete. Will
-> consumers stand for that?

   Why not?  They've been doing it for the last 15 years.

        >>>----------------------------------------------<<<
        >>>  david moeser -- erasmus att iglou dott com  <<<
        >>>            Censornati, Ohio - USA            <<<
        >>>----------------------------------------------<<<
        *           8 Bits Forever! ... OR BUST!           *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Levien van Z » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: > As frustrating as all the Tramiel's marketing blunders obviously are to us
: > diehard Atarians, keep in mind that without them, we wouldn't even have had
: > any of these incredible systems.  Because of these systems, we Atarians
: > were able to enjoy user-friendly operating systems and software a full
: > decade ahead of the rest of the personal computer industry, and a reliable,
: > frustration-free operating system that is still unequalled even by today's
: > most current systems.

: That simply isn't true. The Atari ST was a cheap design. It was designed too
: quickly with no real innovation (try to think about the Sinclair QL, which
: was almost the same design and was produced 2 years before, or about the
: Amiga which was first introduced as a prototype a whole year before the ST).

Absolutely. The ST and TOS were designed, built/programmed within one year.
The guys from Atari just used a user-interface written by Digital Research
for the PC and wrote a kind of MS-DOS-emulator they called GEMDOS.
The Amiga for instance was far superiour both in hardware and in software
design. The Amiga OS was fully pre-emptive multitasking, had dynamically
loadable libs (or something like it), etc, etc. The hardware for graphics
and sound was also a lot better (DMA stereo sound, hardware sprites, fast
blitter, more colours...)
The main things that made the ST series still sort of a success were the
built-in MIDI ports, the ability to use a nice monochrome-monitor and maybe
the MS-DOS compatibility (diskwise)...

        -=Levien

------

MALEB Homepage: http://huizen.dds.nl/~levjenno/
(Atari/Amiga/Linux/Therapy?/Red Dwarf/etc.)
------

This planet has -- or rather had -- a problem, which was this: most of
the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time.  Many
solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were
largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper,
which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of
paper that were unhappy.
                -- Douglas Adams