Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by BELJAN » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
>> games.  But, what are we talking about here?

>A one dimensional game? Wouldn't that be like an infinitely thin line
on
>the screen? Wow, that'd be kinda like playing pong with a toothpick
shaped
>monitor!
>:0

Just for thought, has anyone ever considered calling a 2D game 3D
because it is playing from a Picture Tube which in itself is 3D? That
would be funny, by that definition, all side scrollers would now be
considered 3D games.

Post by Dennis McGuir » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> writes:

> >Speaking of product life cycles...

> I'm wondering the same thing about computers. The 333 MHz PC is about the
> hottest Windows machine you can get at a Fry's or CompUSA, yet I hear that in 2
> years, 1000 Mhz machines will be available, and the the 200 MHz machines of
> just last year won't be fast enough for the software that will come out in
> 2000. So in 3 years, you go from $2000 computer to obsolete. Will consumers
> stand for that?

        Why not?  PC users have been doing this for years already.

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Mr Maddo » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

BTW, I sent it to the "wrong" newsgroup even though they're into Atari
game systems so it's still revelent.  So I'm forwarding this to the two
Atari comptuer newsgroups where it 'belongs' :)

> [...]

> by Pennsylvannia State law.  Administrators of the domain from where
> the offending e-mail has been sent will be notified of such actions,by
> any means necessary.

> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*******************>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> (For private chats only)

> > Speaking of product life cycles...

> > Does anyone think there's a chance that the speed with which video game
> > consoles appear and disappear from the market no adays will ultimately
> > end up affecting sales in a negative way.

> > Will consumers either stop purchasing new machines because they're pissed
> > off that the machine they just dropped $200 on is obsolete and discontinued.
> > Or will they wait for the current technology to become discontinued
> > so they can buy it at bargain ba*t prices? (or like me, wait for
> > it to become really really old so they can buy it for $5 at the
> > Salvation Army).

> Usually, games systems will last about five years from when they first
> come out to when they become obsolete.  And that's usually because they
> come out with a better machine, the frist sign of death is "extending"
> it's life by coming out with games where the graphics are pushed to their
> utter limits as well as dirt cheap prices.

> As for that previous statement by Sinclap (I didn't include it for health
> reasons), I'll make a special point of saying that Sony may come out with
> a second generation of Playstation that's 64-bit to compete with the
> upcoming Sega Katana and Project X.  And perhaps this will make Nintendo
> 64 developers start using that real wicked hardware for more than just
> kiddie games and 32-bit knockoffs.

> But there was speculation as to if they'll make it compatible with current
> PSX titles.  I think they should as current owners can just upgrade the
> machine and keep their games which makes the transistion much more viable.
> But there are concerns about developers only making 32-bit PSX games
> instead of taking advantage of the new 64-bit ones.  Well game makers
> "love" to play around with the latest cool hardware, it's the marketing
> idiots that will hender anything.  And if Sony decides to flat out stop
> support the old 32-bit Playstation(or at least wein it) after it comes out
> with the 64-bit version, then that will be better than what we've seen
> with the 7800.  You know...both 7800 and 2600 versions coming out at once.
> But which would you buy? :)

> > It just seems like now adays video game machines don't last as long as they
> > used to "in the olden days".

> Actually, as far as games goes...they keep coming out with these "sequels"
> to mostly fighting games which aren'tmuch different except for a couple
> of characters and a few more moves. :P

> Eric Noss
> a.k.a
> Mr. Maddog

> "Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem. It's a mistake.
>        I have low esteem for everyone else." - Daria

Eric Noss
a.k.a
Mr. Maddog

Post by Geoff Oltman » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
> games.  But, what are we talking about here?

Wow! Where can I get 1-dimensional games?? I've always wanted to see one
of those. :P

*Geoff!*

--
Geoff Oltmans - CPE Undergrad University of Alabama in Huntsville
KERNAL = Keyboard Entry Read Network And Link

Post by Jon D. Mel » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>> I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
>>> games.  But, what are we talking about here?

>>A one dimensional game? Wouldn't that be like an infinitely thin line
>on
>>the screen? Wow, that'd be kinda like playing pong with a toothpick
>shaped
>>monitor!
>>:0

>Just for thought, has anyone ever considered calling a 2D game 3D
>because it is playing from a Picture Tube which in itself is 3D? That
>would be funny, by that definition, all side scrollers would now be
>considered 3D games.

Actually, all computer games are 2D because the CRT has a disply that
is is only two dimensions.  In order to be true 3D, one would have to
use one of the available stereoscopic methods like LCD shutter glasses
and such with it.

Hehehe.

*** Please make sure responses are also sent via email.

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Geoff Oltman » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> That simply isn't true. The Atari ST was a cheap design. It was designed too
> quickly with no real innovation (try to think about the Sinclair QL, which
> was almost the same design and was produced 2 years before, or about the
> Amiga which was first introduced as a prototype a whole year before the ST).

I don't know if I'd classify the ST as a "cheap" design. After all, some
prominent computer experts, including Dr. Jerry Pournelle, liked the ST
more than the Amiga. However, it may be true that it was put to market
too early. Early models didn't include the BliTTER, for example...

I suspect that what happened with the ST is that since Amiga was slipped
out from under Atari by Commodore, they wanted to have a product to
compete, and wanted to get to the market at or before the Amiga made it
so that they would have a fighting chance.

*Geoff!*

--
Geoff Oltmans - CPE Undergrad University of Alabama in Huntsville
KERNAL = Keyboard Entry Read Network And Link
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/geoff

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by John & Vicki Hal » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

snip

Quote:

> Will consumers either stop purchasing new machines because they're pissed
> off that the machine they just dropped $200 on is obsolete and discontinued.
> Or will they wait for the current technology to become discontinued
> so they can buy it at bargain ba*t prices? (or like me, wait for
> it to become really really old so they can buy it for $5 at the
> Salvation Army).

It's already started in PC's, where the advice "buy as much machine as
you can, to avoid obsolescence as long as you can" has been replaced by
"buy as cheap as you can since the most expensive system will be
obsolete next week anyway."  Accordingly, the $1000 and under PC's have
taken off by some estimates to equal up to %70 of sales.  The only
problem with seeing this extend to game consoles is that their $150 to
$200 cost doesn't carry the sticker shock of PCs' considerably higher
price tags, making a cheaper "oldie" console (a Super Nintendo, for
instance) not that attractive to gamers demanding the latest.

John Hale
Long live the 800XL!

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by John & Vicki Hal » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

snip (nice summary of PC history and obsolescence cycles)

Quote:

> The really sad thing is I think about what I used to use my Atari 800XL for
> back in 1984; word-processing, e-mail, games, programming. It served me well
> from 1983 until I jumped onto the PC Bandwagon in 1989. I could still use it
> today (and am in the process of putting together another 8-bit system, anyone
> got an MIO for sale?), and it would work well. However, the thought of using
> my first PC (a 10MHz 8086) scares me, where the atari would be fine.

I agree.  Until its death in fall 1995 forced us into buying a PC, our
800XL did everything we needed for word processing and databases, and in
fact found Atariwriter Plus easier to use than the Unix word processor
we had to use at the time at my job!

John Hale

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by John & Vicki Hal » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >> Peter S.
> >So, how's Apple doing these days? Oh yes, I forgot, they're still taking
> >the world over etc. Nice one Pete.

> Lets not pick on Apple. Its not nice to pick on the disabled when they
> are on their last legs. :)

And considering how they too are a Wintel victim like Atari, there's no
point in bashing them at this point in the game.

John Hale

Post by Dave L » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

 > Newsgroups:
 > comp.sys.atari.8bit,comp.sys.atari.advocacy,comp.sys.atari.programmer,co
 > ys.atari.st,comp.sys.atari.st.tech,rec.games.video.atari,rec.games.video
 > ssic
 > Subject: Re: Atari Has been Sold/Jag Comeback?

 >  * Origin: PressEnter (1:2424/12.1)

The above is an example of a couple of "DIPZOIDS or DWEEBS" carrying on a
meaningless conversation and posting it to every Atari Newsgroup that they
can.  BE WARNED... New SPAM Filters are going to be implemented by Service
Providers and Internet Businesses that will KILL just such meaningless
drivel.  There is no reason for somebody to post their "Dreams" in every
COMP.SYS.ATARI.* Newsgroup and for somebody else to reply to that drivel
sp that it goes to every Atari newsgroup.  I have expressed my displeasure
with this in the individual newsgroups without posting it to every
newsgroup.

If the Internet nesgroups were run like a BBS, the above users would be
DELETED for poor etiquete.  There is absolutely no reason to post to every
Atari newsgroup.  People interested in Atari will read every newsgroup
anyway and it's a pain in the rectumn, to see the same message everywhere
because the "DWEEBS and DIPZOIDS" haven't go a clue as to posting
properly.

The new SPAM Filters will recognize a message that is posted to more than
one or two newsgroups as SPAM and Delete it.  This will more than likely
lower the volumn by about 30-40% and means that messages lile the above
that are popsted to everywhere are DELETED and to that I say good ridance.

If people can't carry on a civilized conversation in One (and only One)
nesgroup about a subject relevant to that newsgroup, then they have
nothing at all to say.  I personally look forward to the new SPAM filters
as it will mean that I don't have to see the same message in the 6-12
Atari newsgroups that I carry.

I trust the offending parties get the picture.  And by the way... the Sale
of the Atari name and licencing by JTS to Hasbro, is... in the scope of
Big Business,.. a non-event. In a years time or so, those old titles will
surface on CD-ROMS for old Atarians to play on their PeeCee's.

I trust the "kiddies" who post in all the COMP.SYS.ATARI.* newsgroups
where true Atarians just want to keep informed and not read the same
drivel over and over again, get the picture.

 _( (_    _   SysOp of TAF ONLINE BBS, the    |###     ./\.     ###|
(((\ \>  /_1  Electronic Messageing Center    |###  _|\|  |/|_  ###|
(\\\\ \_/ / of the Toronto Atari Federation   |###  \        /  ###|
 \    =  /   North America's Largest Atari    |###   >_TAF__<   ###|
  \ =  _/  User Group.  Ph: 1-416-42-18-999   |###      /       ###|
  /   /  AtariNet 51:5/0 - FidoNet 1:2424/823 +--------------------+
 /s

Post by Patrick Mulve » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > I'd say there is probably a _very_ limited market for 1-dimensional
> > games.  But, what are we talking about here?

> Wow! Where can I get 1-dimensional games?? I've always wanted to see
> one
> of those. :P

> *Geoff!*

Its in the reflection.....
Quote:> --
> Geoff Oltmans - CPE Undergrad University of Alabama in Huntsville
> KERNAL = Keyboard Entry Read Network And Link
> http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/geoff

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by outrid » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

 dl> The new SPAM Filters will recognize a message that is posted to more
 dl> than one or two newsgroups as SPAM and Delete it.  This will more than
 dl> likely lower the volumn by about 30-40% and means that messages lile
 dl> the above that are popsted to everywhere are DELETED and to that I say
 dl> good ridance.

Agreed.  I also just heard on the radio that new ISP software is in testing
that will automatically reject any email that doesn't have a legitimate
return address.  Things are looking up!

 * LED v1.51 *  "Barney?" - Fox Mulder, guessing at "the most henious force
of all."
--

        Terry May - Las Vegas, NV

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Glenn Saunder » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: I'm not sure about the Lynx. It was a horrible mess when Atari got it
: from Epyx. No where near production and suitors were limited.

Could you elaborate rather than just handing off a statement like this
without corroboration?

Post by Rob Merri » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> Peter S.
>So, how's Apple doing these days? Oh yes, I forgot, they're still taking
>the world over etc. Nice one Pete.

Lets not pick on Apple. Its not nice to pick on the disabled when they
are on their last legs. :)

Rob Merritt
My Might and Magic page:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/homm.html
My Toy page starring Micronauts and LegoBlocks:http://www.jagunet.com/~robertm/micro.html