Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Boston » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:>Speaking of product life cycles...

>Does anyone think there's a chance that the speed with which video game
>consoles appear and disappear from the market no adays will ultimately
>end up affecting sales in a negative way.

>Will consumers either stop purchasing new machines because they're pissed
>off that the machine they just dropped $200 on is obsolete and discontinued.
>Or will they wait for the current technology to become discontinued
>so they can buy it at bargain ba*t prices? (or like me, wait for
>it to become really really old so they can buy it for $5 at the
>Salvation Army).

>It just seems like now adays video game machines don't last as long as they
>used to "in the olden days".

I'm wondering the same thing about computers. The 333 MHz PC is about the
hottest Windows machine you can get at a Fry's or CompUSA, yet I hear that in 2
years, 1000 Mhz machines will be available, and the the 200 MHz machines of
just last year won't be fast enough for the software that will come out in
2000. So in 3 years, you go from $2000 computer to obsolete. Will consumers
stand for that?

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Glenn Saunder » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: I'm not sure about the Lynx. It was a horrible mess when Atari got it
: from Epyx. No where near production and suitors were limited.

Could you elaborate rather than just handing off a statement like this
without corroboration?

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Wes Hinsle » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: If I recall, there was a POKE you could apply, causing the next
: RESET to coldboot the system.

Quote:> Purely from memory, I believe this one is "POKE 53774,1".

POKE 580,1 causes RESET to coldboot the system. I can't really remember
what POKE 53774,1 does, but I think it's close! I think doing something
like POKE 16,64:POKE 53774,64 disabled the break key, but I'm not
completely sure!

There's also a way of causing RESET to make an error message, and then
you can use the TRAP command to cause the reset key to re-run your
programs - I can't remember exactly how that's done - I remember reading
something in an old Atari User I think... Hope this helps, or interests!

------
Wes

Post by Iain Laske » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Its the mystery video game system from VM Labs. It is rumored to be
> more powerful than Sega's Katana and may use a DVD but other than that
> details are few and far between.

Apart from the interviews & screens shots in Edge mag last year..

* Analyst Programmer/ * IT Journalist      *

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Frank Szymansk » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> the company into the ground.  Without the Tramiels, there would have been
> _NO_ Atari 130XE, 520ST, 1040ST, Portfolio, STe, MegaST, SLM804, MegaSTe,
> SLM605, TT030, Falcon, Lynx, Jaguar, etc.
> diehard Atarians, keep in mind that without them, we wouldn't even have had
> any of these incredible systems.  Because of these systems, we Atarians

As for the Lynx and the Portfolio they were both developed from other
companies. Everything the Tramiels did, was to buy the rights and to
sell them under the ATARI brand name. There were no improvements done by
ATARI.
So if the Tramiels hadnt bought the systems other companies would have
done this.

Tschuess,
         Frank

Post by Lawrence Lam » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >What really gets me is they seem to have paid $5 million for $45
> million
> >in Atari debt (and of course, the technology). They _really_ paid $50
> >million for the assets. They are obviously planning to do something
> real
> >with it, simply suing for patent and copyright infringement and
> selling
> >licensing won't generate that kind of revenue.

> Well first they bought Tiger Electronics not Atari? Why would they buy
> both unless they had something planned, would be too much a waste of
> money. Game.com is not moving on shelves too well. Perhaps they want to
> do something in the way of video games but need a largely remembered
> name like Atari. Suing for patent and copyright infingement could get
> you good money depending on who or what is involvled. If it is simply
> Jon Doe's Video Game Inc infinged on the patent of a design of
> something totally meaningless by todays standard, you wouldnt get much,
> but if it was Nintendo, Sony or Sega you could fetch more (Atari did
> once already on Sega) especially if it had to do with something in the
> Playstation console itself that couldnt be changed they could claim
> damages millions and maybe make quite a bit of money.

Hasbro bought Tiger because of their excellent position in children's
electronics.  Tiger makes tons of handheld games, including all of the
game show units (Wheel, Family Feud, Jeopardy!, etc.), Giga Pets, and
the children's educational "computers" (they are the only real
competition to V-Tech).  Hasbro is trying to keep up with Mattel in the
toy industry; both are running around buying up all of the smaller toy
companies that complement the businesses that they already own.  Tiger
was attractive to them because they really don't have anything in the
way of handheld electronics or kid's computers.  They also got ahold of
the game show licenses, which their other divisions can use, like Parker
Brothers, Milton Bradley, and CAP Toys (candy - you've probably seen the
Connect Four and Monopoly candy...expect more!)

Tiger was also bought by Hasbro, Inc., while Atari was purchased by
Hasbro Interactive.  This may mean nothing, but it may signal that Tiger
is considered more of a toy company to Hasbro, while Atari is considered
more of a software company.  I personally would expect HI to use the
software licenses first, making new versions of the titles that they now
own, then maybe look at the videogame market to see if it is a viable
market for them.  They don't own facilities to make something as large
as a CD console system and would not be able to make one as cheaply as
someone like Philips, but they might license the Atari name.  The
portable market is about to change a bit with the new Nintendo color
portable, so if they're smart, they will wait and see what happens
there.  Just my $0.02 (still $0.02 with tax!!)

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Levien van Z » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: > As frustrating as all the Tramiel's marketing blunders obviously are to us
: > diehard Atarians, keep in mind that without them, we wouldn't even have had
: > any of these incredible systems.  Because of these systems, we Atarians
: > were able to enjoy user-friendly operating systems and software a full
: > decade ahead of the rest of the personal computer industry, and a reliable,
: > frustration-free operating system that is still unequalled even by today's
: > most current systems.

: That simply isn't true. The Atari ST was a cheap design. It was designed too
: quickly with no real innovation (try to think about the Sinclair QL, which
: was almost the same design and was produced 2 years before, or about the
: Amiga which was first introduced as a prototype a whole year before the ST).

Absolutely. The ST and TOS were designed, built/programmed within one year.
The guys from Atari just used a user-interface written by Digital Research
for the PC and wrote a kind of MS-DOS-emulator they called GEMDOS.
The Amiga for instance was far superiour both in hardware and in software
design. The Amiga OS was fully pre-emptive multitasking, had dynamically
loadable libs (or something like it), etc, etc. The hardware for graphics
and sound was also a lot better (DMA stereo sound, hardware sprites, fast
blitter, more colours...)
The main things that made the ST series still sort of a success were the
built-in MIDI ports, the ability to use a nice monochrome-monitor and maybe
the MS-DOS compatibility (diskwise)...

        -=Levien

------

MALEB Homepage: http://huizen.dds.nl/~levjenno/
(Atari/Amiga/Linux/Therapy?/Red Dwarf/etc.)
------

This planet has -- or rather had -- a problem, which was this: most of
the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time.  Many
solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were
largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper,
which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of
paper that were unhappy.
                -- Douglas Adams

Post by Aleksander Marti » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> : If I recall, there was a POKE you could apply, causing the next
> : RESET to coldboot the system.

> > Purely from memory, I believe this one is "POKE 53774,1".

> POKE 580,1 causes RESET to coldboot the system. I can't really remember
> what POKE 53774,1 does, but I think it's close! I think doing something
> like POKE 16,64:POKE 53774,64 disabled the break key, but I'm not
> completely sure!

> There's also a way of causing RESET to make an error message, and then
> you can use the TRAP command to cause the reset key to re-run your
> programs - I can't remember exactly how that's done - I remember reading
> something in an old Atari User I think... Hope this helps, or interests!

> ------
> Wes

It can be done ONLY by setting RESET vectors (somewhere at $fff?) at
Your routine which  can do something and return to BASIC interpreter or
whatever else...

Alex

Post by Ken Sall » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I'm wondering the same thing about computers. The 333 MHz PC is about the
>hottest Windows machine you can get at a Fry's or CompUSA, yet I hear that in 2
>years, 1000 Mhz machines will be available, and the the 200 MHz machines of
>just last year won't be fast enough for the software that will come out in
>2000. So in 3 years, you go from $2000 computer to obsolete. Will consumers
>stand for that?

I agree with you on this. But it's already been going on for about 9 years now.

In 1989 it was the "386", with the 33MHz being the top speed you could
achieve, at a nice hefty price. However, a lot of software still ran on those
XT's.

In 1991 it was the 486, with the 33MHz being the top speed you could achieve,
at a nice hefty price, but most software would still run on the 386's. Windows
3.1 was released.

In 1993 the Pentiums came -  66MHz top speed, 386's were out-dated, 486's
slower then 50MHz were starting to get outdated.

In 1995 the 100+ MHz pentiums started to show up (up to 133MHz), in
August 1995 486's were made obsolete. Windows 95 was released.

Now, you need a minimum of Pentium 133MHz to get any useability, and a lot of
software won't run on anything slower then a 166MHz Pentium. By the end of
1998 you'll need to have a minimum of 200-233MHz Pentium with MMX. Windows 98
should be released this year.

Personally, I believe consumers will get tired of having to shell out several
thousand every couple of years.

I expect after the turn of the century you won't see major performance
increases in CPU speed, but then bandwidth will become the big improvement
factor. I also expect to see more happen with NC's as bandwidth increases.

The really sad thing is I think about what I used to use my Atari 800XL for
back in 1984; word-processing, e-mail, games, programming. It served me well
from 1983 until I jumped onto the PC Bandwagon in 1989. I could still use it
today (and am in the process of putting together another 8-bit system, anyone
got an MIO for sale?), and it would work well. However, the thought of using
my first PC (a 10MHz 8086) scares me, where the atari would be fine.

Ken

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Ken Sallot
Offering scuba instruction from Openwater through Trimix
http://grove.ufl.edu/~ken/classes.html

it's ken at condor dot circa dot ufl dot edu.

Post by James Bu » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

-> .  I personally would expect HI to use the
-> > software licenses first, making new versions of the titles that they now
-> > own, then maybe look at the videogame market to see if it is a viable
-> > market for them.

-> That is EXACTLY what they will do. Anyone notice the popularity of the
-> rerelease of Frogger for Playstation and PC? Hasbro is going to revamp and
-> rerelease some of the old Atari games like Missile Command in similar
-> fashion. I wouldn't expect to see a new atari-branded console from them,
-> though. Read more in today's Wall Street Journal, by the way. Good story
-> about the deal that even mentions retro*'s current popularity (it
-> talks a little bit about the MAME arcade emulator in there).
->  Greg

That's what they ARE doing.  I saw a report on the Bloomberg News
Network (who usually reports financial news) that Hasbro bought Atari
and plan on re-releasing newer versions of old Atari games.  They
reported that Centipede and some others are due to be released this fall
with the Atari name for the PC and etc. markets.

Later,
 James

Atari Has been Sold (100% Facts)

Post by Ken Sall » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>In the late 80's in Europe, the ST outsold even IBM in terms of volume of
>'personal computers' i.e. they sold moire STs than IBM sold PCs. Atari was
>in fact 3rd highest seller by volume at one point.

But they didn't bring the products to the states. They kept putting us off
here in the US because the margins were higher in Europe. And, by the time
1989 had rolled around, Atari had left a bunch of die hard 8-bitters who would
have probably gone the ST route feeling like we were abandoned, and wondering
what incentive there is to buy an ST when you'd be worried they'd pull the
same one.

The way I remember my decision to go PC was that Atari had just recently
announced the TT would be coming out soon and that support for the ST would be
dropped back to the level of the 8-bit (non-existant). That's the day I
decided to go to the PC and sell my 8-bit.

Ken