WINX

Post by Paul Tuijnm » Tue, 18 Jan 1994 03:23:38

Hi,

How do I get WINX to produce the 40 promised windows? I have a Mega4
+ SM194 19" screen and some extra windows could come in handy..
(btw: I have tried all the options int the config file)

thanx,

paul

There once was a plumber from Leigh,
Who was plumbing his maid by the sea,
     Said she, "Please stop plumbing,
     I think someone's coming!"
Said he, "Yes I know love, it's me."

WINX

Post by Patrice.Lacoutu » Thu, 20 Jan 1994 23:03:50

>Hi,

>How do I get WINX to produce the 40 promised windows? I have a Mega4
>+ SM194 19" screen and some extra windows could come in handy..
>(btw: I have tried all the options int the config file)

>thanx,

>paul

Did you try to get them from an application, NOT from the Desktop ?
The original Desktop, only uses 4 (or 8, depends on the version) windows.
This number is hardwired and won't change even if there are more windows
available.
(ecxeption: Newdesk for MultiTOS and maybe some other versions)

Bye.  Patrice

Patrice LACOUTURE
Chambre E516
Institut National des Sciences Appliquees - Lyon
Dept of Computer Science
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex - France
| ZombyX 81 (IRC Nick)       | This document does not exhaust CFCs.           |
| Atari MegaSTE / (Multi)TOS | It does not harm the ozone layer.              |
| PC 286 :-(                 |                                                |
|____________________________|________________________________________________|

WINX

Post by Graham Irvi » Wed, 26 Jan 1994 08:11:54

It was none other than Paul Tuijnman that wrote on the 16 Jan 94 that ,
 PT> How do I get WINX to produce the 40 promised windows? I have a Mega4
 PT> + SM194 19" screen and some extra windows could come in handy..
 PT> (btw: I have tried all the options int the config file)

Upgrade to TOS 2 I/m afraid , AFAIK with early TOS you don't get the extra
window's ,just some of the other features ,IE you can at least set the
Window Colours. BTW even with Fully Compatible TOS's you cannot get 40 Window's
at the desk (8 only) it is only from application's (and only those
that are correctly programmed) that will support the 40 windows. Some program's
will not allow more than there own limit .... LED is a good example of
that.

The extra window's is available as default BTW.

MHYG
Graham

 * Origin: Graham's Point at the Tavern (100:1011/0.8)

WINX

Post by A.V. Groeni » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 19:51:53

>Upgrade to TOS 2 I/m afraid , AFAIK with early TOS you don't get the extra
>window's ,just some of the other features ,IE you can at least set the
>Window Colours.

But you'll have to run low resolution for that :-)

WINX

Post by Chris Ri » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 22:05:59

>It was none other than Paul Tuijnman that wrote on the 16 Jan 94 that ,
> PT> How do I get WINX to produce the 40 promised windows? I have a Mega4
> PT> + SM194 19" screen and some extra windows could come in handy..
> PT> (btw: I have tried all the options int the config file)

>Upgrade to TOS 2 I/m afraid , AFAIK with early TOS you don't get the
>extra window's ,just some of the other features ,IE you can at least
>set the Window Colours. BTW even with Fully Compatible TOS's you
>cannot get 40 Window's at the desk (8 only) it is only from
>application's (and only those that are correctly programmed) that will
>support the 40 windows.

Not true - earlier TOSes *do* allow more windows. The desktops don't,
but that (as they say) is another story... I'm running UK TOS 1.04 and
WINX 2.2 with no problems.

You do have to mess around with the other \auto programs to get WINX
installed properly - the best indicator of a correct install is the
WINX.CPX displaying four scroll bars (for scroll-bar delay and stuff).
If they don't appear, WINX isn't alive.

I spent hours juggling my auto folder, if that's any guide... Prime
candidates for juggling are UIS III (although *very* new versions are
Ok) and almost anything else that patches the AES.

--
--Chris

X.400: g=chris;s=ridd;o=nhs imc;ou1=cosit;a=attmail;p=nhs imc;c=gb

WINX

Post by Chris Ri » Fri, 28 Jan 1994 18:12:00

>>Upgrade to TOS 2 I/m afraid , AFAIK with early TOS you don't get the extra
>>window's ,just some of the other features ,IE you can at least set the
>>Window Colours.

>But you'll have to run low resolution for that :-)

You can still change the fill patterns and stuff on high res. My
windows have black frames... Customise or die, customise or die...

--
--Chris

X.400: g=chris;s=ridd;o=nhs imc;ou1=cosit;a=attmail;p=nhs imc;c=gb

WINX

Post by Graham Irvi » Sat, 05 Feb 1994 07:38:30

It was none other than Chris Ridd that wrote on the 26 Jan 94 that ,
 >> Upgrade to TOS 2 I/m afraid , AFAIK with early TOS you don't get the
 >> extra window's ,just some of the other features ,IE you can at least
 >> set the Window Colours. BTW even with Fully Compatible TOS's you
 >> cannot get 40 Window's at the desk (8 only) it is only from
 >> application's (and only those that are correctly programmed) that
 >> will support the 40 windows.
 CR> Not true - earlier TOSes *do* allow more windows. The desktops don't,
 CR> but that (as they say) is another story... I'm running UK TOS 1.04
 CR> and WINX 2.2 with no problems.

Apologies if I misinformed (I use TOS 2) ,the impression given in the manual
was that no extra window's were avavilable (certainly is the case with the
desktop) and I assumed that along with some of the other window
enhancements this was not available to TOS 1.xx. With 2.06 you do get all of
one extra (Total 8) desk window's.

 CR> You do have to mess around with the other \auto programs to get WINX
 CR> installed properly - the best indicator of a correct install is the
 CR> WINX.CPX displaying four scroll bars (for scroll-bar delay and
 CR> stuff). If they don't appear, WINX isn't alive.

Indeed ,or by checking the cookie jar .Also I suppose that other features
like window updating and background window enhancement's are active.

 CR> I spent hours juggling my auto folder, if that's any guide... Prime
 CR> candidates for juggling are UIS III (although *very* new versions
 CR> are Ok) and almost anything else that patches the AES.

I have found it to be remarkably tolerant of all the other stuff in my auto
folder ....maybe I have a nose for cleanly programmed code :-) I run it pretty
close to the top of the folder.

MHYG
Graham

 * Origin: Graham's Point at the Tavern (100:1011/0.8)

WINX

Post by Graham Irvi » Sat, 05 Feb 1994 07:52:04

It was none other than A.V. Groenink that wrote on the 26 Jan 94 that ,
 >> Upgrade to TOS 2 I/m afraid , AFAIK with early TOS you don't get the
 >> extra window's ,just some of the other features ,IE you can at least
 >> set the Window Colours.
 AG> But you'll have to run low resolution for that :-)

Not neccessarily , you may be lucky enough to have a Falcon or a Graphic's
card :-) Even so in STmed or indeed High you can set the fill pattern's of
the window's scroll's,box's etc to give  8*3(24) or 8*1(8) shades of the basic
colour's (resp). All fairly superficial to the real benefit's of WinX
but I like a nice pretty display :-)

Post by Chris Ri » Thu, 10 Feb 1994 17:58:45

>It was none other than Chris Ridd that wrote on the 26 Jan 94 that ,
> CR> You do have to mess around with the other \auto programs to get WINX
> CR> installed properly - the best indicator of a correct install is the
> CR> WINX.CPX displaying four scroll bars (for scroll-bar delay and
> CR> stuff). If they don't appear, WINX isn't alive.

>Indeed ,or by checking the cookie jar .Also I suppose that other features
>like window updating and background window enhancement's are active.

No, the jar is not the best test -- I got a WINX cookie Ok, but no
WINX, which puzzled me for ages :-)

The best test is in the programming documentation, it is a parameter
to wind_get().

--
--Chris

X.400: g=chris;s=ridd;o=nhs imc;ou1=cosit;a=attmail;p=nhs imc;c=gb

1. WINX - still only 4 window

Well, there is still the option to patch the GEM and burn it.
WINX 2.0 has an Option to patch a TOS.IMG File (or readout the TOS and patch
it). I have just done that and now I have WINX in ROM and save the ~150KByte
which otherwise would be used for the GEM in RAM.

Really nice to have all that nifty features without "loosing" memory. ;-)

Bye Mick
--

Kopenhagener Str. 145 | Fido   : Mick Schmidt%Maus HB (242/2.6)| and believe

Tel. +49 421 63 52 70 |                                        |      & Franz)

2. Sqlform 3.0 -- inputing new data problem

3. WINX - still only 4 windows in desktop

4. Shitty In-House Testing of Roxio-Adaptec

5. WINX installation problems

6. complex numbers using c/c++

7. Does WINX work on non-german TOS ?

8. floatingpoint operations on 68340

9. GEMram and Winx?

10. gemram/winx & MTOS

11. Author of Winx

12. WinX 2.0 now on Archive!

13. WINX - still only 4 windows in desktop