3D glasses

Post by Adam J. Conove » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 00:56:02

> Subject: 3d Glasses

> Has anybody made a 3-d game or something?  I just got a cheap (from a
> magazin) pair of red/blue 3-d glasses.  I think it'd be cool to at least
> make a 1-screen, 2-step animated red/blue picture.  Put on the 3d glasses
> and then close one eye for one frame, and the other for the other frame.
> [....deleleted....]
>                                 Thanks..                Bill Kendrick

The ACORN user-group from Rochester NY had a program in there library
(that I belive was written by a member) that would display SOLID STATES
images in 3D w/ Red/Blue glasses.  I can dig up there BBS no. if anyone
is interested.

I have been trying to acquire a pair of Sega 3D (or similar) glasses for
a while now.  I think it would be easy to simply drive them during the
VBI which would sync. perfectly with the page flipping.

To the person asking about the PC interface:  I have some simple schematics
lying around for connectiong the Sega glasses to an rs232 port and some
'C' source code to drive the VGA for page flipping.  I will try to find
it if you are interested.

Peace,
-Adam Conover

3D glasses

Post by Mike Watte » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 08:18:27

A brief note concerning the clear/tinted 3D glasses:
        (aka Yo Yogi)
These glasses work only because the subject is in motion.  Basically, if
you have a static background and the subject is moving from left to right,
and you put the tinted lens of the glasses on the right, the subject will
pop out of the screen.  (You all might like to try this on the opening
segment of Star Trek: TNG where the Enterprise SLOWLY moves across the
screen from left to right.  GREAT 3D effect!

The gist of this is, all you need to do is find a game where the subject
only moves in one direction relative to the background (left or right)
and you can have a 3D game.  Zaxxon is an obvious example that comes to
mind.  The ship is static and the background moves from right to left.
So... with the tinted filter on the right, the ship should be at the level`
of the screen with the moving background appearing behind the screen.

Any unidirectional horizontal scrolling game should give the same effect.

Sega glasses:
        I have not used glasses like this for video games, but I have used
them with a 3D Camcorder and the effect is quite good.

--
Mike

Dept of Genetics, Univ of Washington  Seattle
(d) 206-543-1934   (e) 206-361-1156

3D glasses

Post by moon!cyberden!phb.. » Fri, 06 Mar 1992 01:09:23

Hmm??  3D cam-corder?  Also, what color is the 3d (yo yogi) glasses?
(maybe I'll just steal them outta the cereal box!)  Very interesting..
I'll try out this stuff!

_______________________________________
| PhBill:  Bill Kendrick     Atari /|\|

| 20 so miles North of         8-bits |
| San Francisco, in beautiful   ROCK! |
|_______Marin!________________________|

3D glasses

Post by Michael Watte » Sat, 07 Mar 1992 04:32:02

The "Yo Yogi" glasses are clear on the left and have a neutral density
filter on the right (just kinda grey)

The 3D camcorder works on an entirely different system.  It has two lenses
on the front and alternates images on the screen.  The Left and Right
halves of the pair are seperated using LCD visors (Like for the NES)

I don't suppose anybody has tried using the Yo Yogi glasses on a video
game yet?  It should be good for anything where the motion is primarily
from left to right(for the foreground).  I would try it myself, but my
Atari is sitting in the closet gathering dust right now.

--
mike

206-543-1934(D) 206-361-1156(E)
U of Washington, Seattle

3D glasses

Post by moon!cyberden!phb.. » Sat, 14 Mar 1992 10:47:10

> The "Yo Yogi" glasses are clear on the left and have a neutral density
> filter on the right (just kinda grey)

> The 3D camcorder works on an entirely different system.  It has two lenses
> on the front and alternates images on the screen.  The Left and Right
> halves of the pair are seperated using LCD visors (Like for the NES)

> I don't suppose anybody has tried using the Yo Yogi glasses on a video
> game yet?  It should be good for anything where the motion is primarily
> from left to right(for the foreground).  I would try it myself, but my
> Atari is sitting in the closet gathering dust right now.

> --
> mike

> 206-543-1934(D) 206-361-1156(E)
> U of Washington, Seattle

I tested the YY glasses on the Star Trek title.  Only one good effect
(actually, it wasn't the title, was it... before the title.)  I also
tested it on Mirax Force and Zybex.  Neither looked any better.  Just
made my eyes hurt (notice the warning on the glasses!).  It actually
helps the red/blue glasses from the Simpson's mag.  It darkens the blue.
Normally, my left eye starts feeling wierd, and I can tell that the image
is too dark.  The shaded part of the YY helps to darken the blue to about
the same as the red.

______________________________________
| PhBill: Bill Kendrick      Atari/|\|  Remember:  The more buttons you push,

| about 20 miles North of      8-bits|           getting something to happen!
|_San_Francisco,_in_Marin.______ROCK!|

1. Another 3d glasses demo! (yipee!)

here's a "screen-burst" demo using the 3d glass colors and "bio-feedback"
pause routine: (you'll recognize the screen or screen draw routine used)

10 GR.23:TRAP 30
15 FOR A=0 TO 159 STEP 10:T=NOT T:COLOR T+1:F.B=0 TO 9:Z=A+B:PLOT Z,0
17 DR.159-Z,79:PL.0,Z/2:DR.159,79-Z/2
20 N.B:N.A
30 POKE 708,64:POKE 709,130:GOS.100
35 POKE 709,64:POKE 708,130:GOS.100:GOTO 30
100 B=228
101 B=B-1:IF PADDLE(1)>B THEN RETURN
102 GOTO 101

Note that this one uses a slightly different pause routine (which I
forgot to replace in the last demo, so you can just replace line 100 with
this ones 100-102) that responses much more quickly to paddle
adjustments.  Here's another rundown:
line 10-graphics mode and trap (one line goes off the screen at the very
end of the draw routine)
lines 15-17-draw the starburst, using alternating (red/blue) colors
(again, adjust blue to green if you have the red/green 3d glasses rather
than the red/blue.  I'm not sure why there's a difference, but I'm pretty
sure there is...)
line 20-loop!
lines 30-35-again, switch the colors registers and pause
lines 100-102-set pause variable to maximum length (228-paddle's highest
valuse), subtract 1, if the paddle has been turned beyond it, get outta
there (a for/next wouldn't do this)..otherwise check again (goto 101)

That's it!  Again, enjoy these two demos.  The circle one is a lot
better, but I decided to post this one because I'm one person, and it
seems that certain 3d glass effects look differently to different people.

Hmm.. I just saw the Fuji on my disk box.. maybe I'll load up Fuji spin
and try it out on my glasses!  Wee!  What fun!  Maybe I'll see what
effect clear/blue glasses have on 3d stuff (get those in Rice Crispy's..
I got my red/blue in the Simpson's annual 3d issue (why we get the
Simpson's magazine, God only knows!) )
        Welllllllll....         adios...        happy self-hypnotizing!!

_______________________________________
| PhBill:  Bill Kendrick      Atari   |

| 20 so miles North of         8-bits |
| San Francisco, in beautiful   ROCK! |
|_______Marin!________________________|

2. Database question

3. 3d Glasses

4. QA Eng job at startup north of Boston

5. 3D glasses.. and the XF551

6. Korean on Eudora?

7. Stereo-tek 3D-glasses

8. New XIT 2.3 release