Help! Hard Disk doesn't work with STe!

Post by Chris All » Sat, 23 Jun 1990 07:14:28

We have been producing a hard disk for the ST for some months now.
The hard disk uses an interface which has been designed in Germany
and is software compatible with the official Atari hard disk.

The problem is that on many STe machines, corruption of data happens.
It always happens in the same way - two bytes are missed out when
a sector is written to the disk. eg

this is a piece of text
becomes
this is a pce of text

This is disastrous when it happens to directory sectors and programs.

Point 1. This only ever happens on the STe

Point 2. Replacing the DMA chip with one from an STFM usually solves
the problem.

Point 3. We sent an STe & a Hard Disk with this problem to the
manufacturers of the interface in Germany. They said that the same
problem was happening with the Megafile and with the ICD Interface.

Point 4. This is happening with about one in four STe machines.

Atari UK say they have not heard of this problem and they are not
interested.
Has anybody... Atari USA? Anybody else? come up against this problem?
Our supplier has run our of "OLD" DMA chips and is now sending us
"NEW" ones which have the same problem. Can anybody suggest a solution?

frustratedly,

chris.

--

  Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

    <-- tharr public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

Help! Hard Disk doesn't work with STe!

Post by Bryan Jones Woodwor » Sat, 23 Jun 1990 12:49:01

Americans are the wrong people to ask regarding the STe problem with
hard drives..

WE have just barely gotten our first shipments of STeS!  if you guys who have
had them for 6+months havent solved the problem yet..

Post by D.C. Hallid » Sat, 23 Jun 1990 21:37:09

>We have been producing a hard disk for the ST for some months now.
>The hard disk uses an interface which has been designed in Germany
>and is software compatible with the official Atari hard disk.

>The problem is that on many STe machines, corruption of data happens.
>It always happens in the same way - two bytes are missed out when
>a sector is written to the disk. eg

>this is a piece of text
>becomes
>this is a pce of text

>This is disastrous when it happens to directory sectors and programs.

>Point 1. This only ever happens on the STe

>Point 2. Replacing the DMA chip with one from an STFM usually solves
>the problem.

[ some more points deleted. ]

>chris.

>--

>  Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

>    <-- tharr public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

I recieved an E mail response on this as a reply to a previous question I
posted. The author (sorry can't remember who) said that the STe DMA driver is
of a lower power than the original ST driver and a simple fix involves
simply making the Drive cable shorter than 1/2 a meter.

I have not tried this yet as I do not yet own a hard drive for my STe.

Hope this is of help.

Dave H.

Help! Hard Disk doesn't work with STe!

Post by Chris All » Sun, 24 Jun 1990 22:02:31

Quote:>Americans are the wrong people to ask regarding the STe problem with
>hard drives..

>WE have just barely gotten our first shipments of STeS!  if you guys who have
>had them for 6+months havent solved the problem yet..

I have just been told of a fix for the problem. It is in the form of "Atari
Technical Note 070" which is very carefully worded. It admits of a problem
with the STe [thanks guys!] but refuses to assign any of the blame to Atari :-)

The fix involves putting a capacitor across two pins on the CPU, linking
a pin on the shifter to a pin elsewhere on the motherboard, and replacing
a resistor pack.

Now maybe I can sort out all these furious customers... One guy has had three
different STe's and four different hard disks... Each time he lost all of his
wordprocessing :-(

chris.

--

Post by Claus Bro » Tue, 26 Jun 1990 05:15:35

>We have been producing a hard disk for the ST for some months now.
>The hard disk uses an interface which has been designed in Germany
>and is software compatible with the official Atari hard disk.
>The problem is that on many STe machines, corruption of data happens.
>It always happens in the same way - two bytes are missed out when
>a sector is written to the disk. eg
>Point 1. This only ever happens on the STe

Similar problems can be observed with newer MegaSTs.

Quote:>Point 2. Replacing the DMA chip with one from an STFM usually solves
>the problem.

The IMP DMA chip seems to be out of specs. ATARI will never say:
Look, we've got this problem in the new DMA chips, sorry folks,
do this and that to cure the problem. At least, any comment I
heard from them concerning this desaster sounded like "Never
heard before" or "You must have a faulty drive" or "Your driver
is not the official one. Use ours".

Quote:>Point 3. We sent an STe & a Hard Disk with this problem to the
>manufacturers of the interface in Germany. They said that the same
>problem was happening with the Megafile and with the ICD Interface.

True.

Quote:>Our supplier has run our of "OLD" DMA chips and is now sending us
>"NEW" ones which have the same problem. Can anybody suggest a solution?

Sometimes replacing GLUEs in the MegaSTs will help. Unfortunately,
the STE has an integrated GLUE/MMU so you can't use any "old" chips.
Try fiddling around with the 16 MHz clock coming from the shifter.
Sometimes, it seems to be slightly out of phase or distorted.
Just a vague tip I got from some technician...

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,                  Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany            (Piet Hein)

Post by Chris All » Tue, 26 Jun 1990 10:23:06

>I have just been told of a fix for the problem. It is in the form of "Atari
>Technical Note 070" which is very carefully worded. It admits of a problem
>with the STe [thanks guys!] but refuses to assign any of the blame to Atari :-)

>The fix involves putting a capacitor across two pins on the CPU, linking
>a pin on the shifter to a pin elsewhere on the motherboard, and replacing
>a resistor pack.

Guess what... It didn't work! It didn't make the slightest bit of difference.
Sectors still getting corrupted all over the place in exactly the same way
on 3 different makes of hard disk. What have Atari done with this STe?

BTW, our hard disk cable is 9 inches long - I think this is short enough.

Quote:>Now maybe I can sort out all these furious customers. One guy has had three
>different STe's and four different hard disks.

Some hopes of that...

chris.

--

  Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

    <-- tharr public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

1. 'Connect' (Registered) doesn't work with MagiC!!!

 AFAIK ConNect checks the OS, if you so much as used it on a different
computer the same thing would happen, even without MagiC, you have to
get a new registration number, you won't have to register again
though, I dont know how you do all this, i just know that changing OS
means changing registration, and MagiC is of course an OS,

HTH

.

Cheers   !ynoT ( ATARI Programmer )

STOSSER Software http://www.airtime.co.uk/users/stosser
ST+ Diskmagazine http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/7454
PaCifiST Games4U http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/7464
STOSSER BitsBats http://www.cybercity.hko.net/Liverpool/stosser/

2. ICS and ... multihomed, DCHP control

3. 'Connect' (Registered) doesn't work wit

4. DRIVES & TCPIP ICONS

5. 'Connect' (Registered) doesn't work with MagiC!!!

6. RECRUITER NEEDS TOP TALENT IN CHICAGO / PERM ONLY

7. Magic Sac works/doesn't work update

8. Add TSX to watch list in Money 2004 Canadian

9. HELP: My TTM 195 doesn't work anymore

10. HELP! My ST doesn't work.

11. Why won't my hard disk work?

12. mac/65 doesn't work...

13. Now MY 1050 doesn't work!