Ms dos boot on ST disk

Post by c.. » Sun, 01 Mar 1992 09:58:01

I have a quick question about using DC Format 3.0.  It allows an MSDOS
executable boot sector so that an MSDOS machine may read (and write it?).

Anyway, the dcfmt30.arc from atari.archive DID NOT come with the help
program, so I don't know some things about this option.

Does it matter how I format it (the disk)?  9 or 10 sectors? 80 or 82 tracks?
normal or twisted? single or double sided?

How would the MSDOS HD drive read it?  Or does it matter?  That it only needs
that MSDOS executable boot sector... (since the format of ST and IBM are the
same)...

Thanks in advance!

     __________                   _______
    / ________()  Kaho Chan(man) /      /
   / / L_____    University of  /*     /
  / /_/_____()  Nevada, Reno    \     /
 /_________    Internet:         \   /

Ms dos boot on ST disk

Post by Mickey Bo » Mon, 02 Mar 1992 17:06:34

>I have a quick question about using DC Format 3.0.  It allows an MSDOS
>executable boot sector so that an MSDOS machine may read (and write it?).

>Anyway, the dcfmt30.arc from atari.archive DID NOT come with the help
>program, so I don't know some things about this option.

I personally prefer the program ps2form, also at atari.archive.  It does
some things that some weird PC's (Japanese model NEC's and PS/2's, hence
the name) require to read/write floppies properly.  It is not as fancy, but
it always works when a DOS/ST compatible disk is needed.  Also, if you
get Universal Item Selector III (you should) it will put the correct boot
sector on the disks.  It also selects a random serial number for the disk
(not all ST formatters do this, even the ones that are supposedly PC
compatible).  This is very important, since this is what is used to
detect media change in most PCs.

Quote:

>Does it matter how I format it (the disk)?  9 or 10 sectors? 80 or 82 tracks?
>normal or twisted? single or double sided?

You should format it 80 track, 9 sec/track, non-twisted.  This will replicate
the standard DOS DSDD format.  Then write the DOS bootsector.

Quote:

>How would the MSDOS HD drive read it?  Or does it matter?  That it only needs
>that MSDOS executable boot sector... (since the format of ST and IBM are the
>same)...

As long as it was not a HD disk (DOS assumes anything with a HD hole in it
is formatted HD, arrrgh!) it will read and write fine.  If you want to format
a DSDD disk (720k ST style) on a HD drive, type "format b: /t:80 /n:9" and
it will produce an ST readable disk (given that you have a DS ST drive).

On several occasions, I have "fixed" DOS disks that were unreadable on a
HD drive by merely taping over the HD detection hole on the disk.  The reason
this worked is that the floppy owners had DSDD drives in their PCs, and for
some reason bought HD disks to use in them.  They work fine on their machines
since the drives do not look for the HD hole (since they are only DSDD), but
if they get stuck in a HD drive they will not work!!

Someone please rewrite the MSDOS filesystem!!!

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Come to your senses professor

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

1. Atari DOS to MS DOS file conversion

I've got a neighbor that has a whole library of old ATARI games that he'd
like to run on his 286 machine.  These run under the ancient and now defunct
ATARI DOS 3.0 O/S, 8-bit graphics (I think). I told him that I had never heard
of a file conversion utility for ATARI DOS to MS DOS, but assured him that
I'd post and see if anyone out in netland may know of such a utility.

Thanks.

2. Muziek herhalen

3. Reading MS DOS hard disk.

4. Jet Set Willy II

5. Transfer of text files between ST and MS DOS

6. Question on farpoke

7. ST-MS DOS Emulator

8. International Dial Plan - Full Codes Database

9. DOS to boot disk / Menu programs

10. Need DOS disk boot menu for unenhanced 1050

11. Atari ST disks <----> IBM DOS disks ???

12. Atari ST disks <----> IBM DOS disks ?