MODS, MODS, MODS......

Post by udem.. » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 23:06:51

        Do most .MOD music files carry the same standard? For instance
can one use the likes of ST Protracker or ST TCB tracker to play say Amiga
music MODS, or are there  slight modifications needed for compatiblity
and if so what are they?
        I know there are various standards for samples -  WAVS+AU (PC's),
SND (macs) AVR RAW etc, and format conversion progs around - no probs here.

        Any hints appr.

P.S: In the meantime, I'm gonna expt. a bit and see if there are
     any compat probs.

MODS, MODS, MODS......

Post by Eric Mar » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 15:57:37

:       Do most .MOD music files carry the same standard? For instance
: can one use the likes of ST Protracker or ST TCB tracker to play say Amiga
: music MODS, or are there  slight modifications needed for compatiblity
: and if so what are they?

It is generally accepted that .MOD means 4-channel ProTracker-type music
MODule.  There are, however, exceptions...

TCB Tracker does not conform to any standard; its MODs are proprietary, and
usable only by itself and Audio Sculpture, which happens to support TCB
MODs.

There are also a number of MOD formats in the PC world that can be 6 or 8
track format ... these can not be loaded by ProTracker.

Additionally, there are Oktalyzer MODs, which can only be loaded by
Oktalyser on the STE and Amiga, and by (I think) Screamtracker on the PC.

But for the most part, most MODs are 4 channel Noise/Protracker format.
Some MODs (Protracker ones) use CIA timing -- a method of extending the
tempo ranges, and for that you must use a ProTracker compatible player (or
ProTracker itself) to play them at the proper speeds, or remove the Fxx
speed commands (unless the speed commands are under F1F)

:
:       Any hints appr.

: P.S: In the meantime, I'm gonna expt. a bit and see if there are
:      any compat probs.

There always are ... but for the biggest repository of MODs on the net,
check out Aminet.  The main dist. site is ftp.wustl.edu in /pub/aminet/mods
and there you will find literally thousands of them.  (Including a few of
mine... :-)

--
   ____________________________  ________________________________
  _____<___  ___// __  // ____/ ___ Tail of _______ Eric March ___

_________<_/   <_____/<_____/ ___ Productions ___ "ANSI? FANSI!" ___

MODS, MODS, MODS......

Post by Requi » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 00:59:29

:       Do most .MOD music files carry the same standard? For instance
: can one use the likes of ST Protracker or ST TCB tracker to play say Amiga
: music MODS, or are there  slight modifications needed for compatiblity
: and if so what are they?

There are lots of different module formats.  You'd not have much luck
trying to play a TCB format module on ProTracker and vica versa.  There
is a Guide to Soundtrackers available from most good PDL's which contains
information on writing your own tunes and the different formats available.

From memory here is a list of module formats I know of :-

NoiseTracker
ProTracker
Octamed (can be 8 channel)
TCB Tracker (very non-standard)
Quartet (not essentially a module, but worth mentioning)
Digital Tracker format (Falcon standard, up to 32 channels)
Scream Tracker (S3M) - PC format, multi-channel
MultiTracker (MTM) - see above
FastTracker (can be 8 channel, maybe more)
669 format (I have no information on these, sorry)

Perhaps someone will add more to this...

RiCH

MODS, MODS, MODS......

Post by Eric Mar » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 21:49:33

: :     Do most .MOD music files carry the same standard? For instance
: : can one use the likes of ST Protracker or ST TCB tracker to play say Amiga
: : music MODS, or are there  slight modifications needed for compatiblity
: : and if so what are they?

: There are lots of different module formats.  You'd not have much luck
: trying to play a TCB format module on ProTracker and vica versa.  There
: is a Guide to Soundtrackers available from most good PDL's which contains
: information on writing your own tunes and the different formats available.

: From memory here is a list of module formats I know of :-

: NoiseTracker
: ProTracker
: Octamed (can be 8 channel)
: TCB Tracker (very non-standard)
: Quartet (not essentially a module, but worth mentioning)
: Digital Tracker format (Falcon standard, up to 32 channels)
: Scream Tracker (S3M) - PC format, multi-channel
: MultiTracker (MTM) - see above
: FastTracker (can be 8 channel, maybe more)
: 669 format (I have no information on these, sorry)

There is also .FAR (Farandol) a little-used PC format.  OctaMED (and any MED
music files) are exclusive to Amiga.  There are also at least 3 different
versions of the MOD standard where the authors didn't deign to differentiate
them by use of a different extension.  (Very irritating, IMHO)  PC
FastTracker I believe can be up to 8 channels and is one such program that
uses the extension .MOD.

Post by Per B?rge Heidenstr? » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 21:44:33

> :  Do most .MOD music files carry the same standard? For instance
> : can one use the likes of ST Protracker or ST TCB tracker to play say Amiga
> : music MODS, or are there  slight modifications needed for compatiblity
> : and if so what are they?

> There are lots of different module formats.  You'd not have much luck
> trying to play a TCB format module on ProTracker and vica versa.  There
> is a Guide to Soundtrackers available from most good PDL's which contains
> information on writing your own tunes and the different formats available.

> From memory here is a list of module formats I know of :-

> NoiseTracker
> ProTracker
> Octamed (can be 8 channel)
> TCB Tracker (very non-standard)
> Quartet (not essentially a module, but worth mentioning)
> Digital Tracker format (Falcon standard, up to 32 channels)
> Scream Tracker (S3M) - PC format, multi-channel
> MultiTracker (MTM) - see above
> FastTracker (can be 8 channel, maybe more)
> 669 format (I have no information on these, sorry)

> Perhaps someone will add more to this...

> RiCH

Yeah,how about:

Ultratracker (ULT) - PC Ultrasound standard - 32 voices
Graoumf (GTK) - Falcon standard - 32 voices
Megatracker - not sure about the extension on that one -32 voices

That's all i can think of anyway...
Per B?rge 'maybe too enthusiastic about his Falcon' Heidenstr?m

P.S.  does anybody know if Towers II  has been released yet ?

MODS, MODS, MODS......

Post by Frank Charlt » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 21:51:56

 d> TCB Tracker does not conform to any standard; its MODs are proprietary,
 d> and usable only by itself and Audio Sculpture, which happens to
 d> support TCB MODs.

The Esion tracker, the forerunner to ProTracker ST, will also load TCB MODs and
save them back out as standard MOD format...

Cheers,

| Standard disclaimer:  The views of this user are strictly his own |
|    ===> Sent via CC-NET BBS [centron.com] +44-1473-273246 <===    |

MODS, MODS, MODS......

Post by Eric Mar » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 05:08:48

: The Esion tracker, the forerunner to ProTracker ST, will also load TCB MODs and
: save them back out as standard MOD format...

Hmm.  I had never actually managed to get a hold of Esion when I was first
told of it.  In any event, I do remember that Audio Sculpture, also, is able
to load TCB MODs and save them as regular MODules.  But generally speaking,
TCB Tracker MODules do not conform to the 'normal' MOD standard.  (A rule
broken several times over on the PC platform, unfortunately ...)

: Cheers,

: +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | Standard disclaimer:  The views of this user are strictly his own |
: |    ===> Sent via CC-NET BBS [centron.com] +44-1473-273246 <===    |
: +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
   ____________________________  ________________________________
  _____<___  ___// __  // ____/ ___ Tail of _______ Eric March ___

_________<_/   <_____/<_____/ ___ Productions ___ "ANSI? FANSI!" ___

1. Ever a workable 80-column mod?

You know, I'd be tickled if I could actually use my 8-bit Atari to call
up the Internet with.  However, I suppose it's just impractical.  It
looks like the Atari 8-bit line will one day be layed to rest, never
having had this problem solved.

I remember back when the MIO was in the planning/announcement stages,
there was talk of an 80-column mod.  Then, Atari, in all its wisdom,
released the XEP-80 KLUDGE.  I still have one that's like new....used a
couple of hours, maybe.  Back when 2400 baud was the standard, it wasn't
so bad....  The XEP could sorta keep up.  I never liked the joystick
interface, and sometimes the computer would crash...and of course, the
XEP would sit there ho-hum with no error message.  I'd have to keep a TV
hooked up, and when the green-screen and TV were on together, they'd make
each other flicker.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was stuck with the 40-column screen, I
would have stayed with the 8-bit (as my primary workhorse) for a whole
lot longer, like many Apple II owners did (with their "extended 80-column
cards.")  I wish this problem was fixed, even this late in the game, I'd
buy it....just to top off my 8-bit computers.

Has anybody had any experience with the "Omnimon??" deal?  Isn't this the
thing that plots a tiny character set on a Graphics 8 screen?  How does
it work?  Will it go 9600 or 14.4?  I doubt it.....  Is it legible?

I wish one of the technically-inclined (gifted, I should say) Atari8
users/developers would address this problem.  I can only speculate
wildly, but couldn't the XEP be modified somehow to interface with the
parallel bus?  Is the speed bottleneck with the serial interface that the
Atari talks to the XEP over the joystick port, or is it something
inherent in the XEP board, or the Atari?

Here's to wishin' for a solution to an old, old problem.

James.

(Yes...I know about the Bit3 "Full View 80" - but I don't use an Atari
800, and even if I did, I couldn't find one of those, nor software to
support it).

2. Can we restore backup from Colorado with Backpak ?

3. VGA card (was: ever a workable 80-column mod)

4. Random numbers

5. Ever a workable 80-column mod?

6. Turn $5 into more.It's real

7. Supervideo 2.0 mod Question

8. Changing User When Making a HotSync

9. Updating my Newton Atari .mod site

10. Mod files of Atari games!

11. APE and SIO2PC problem with IBM PS/2 mod 70

12. 65816 1.79 MHZ mod

13. Lost 1200 mod