Ethernet card and MP3 for C64 (me want for Atari)

Ethernet card and MP3 for C64 (me want for Atari)

Post by Mathy van Nisselro » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:27:58

Howdy folks

Check out this site:
http://www.volny.cz/dundera/devices.html
They have among other things, an ethernet card (looks not too complicated)
and an MP3 player card for the C64.  And Vanessa Dannenberg is working on an
MP3 cartridge too (the MP3 decoding is done by a chip on the cart.  The
computer is only used to stream the data to the cart).

This should be possible for the Atari too.

CU                                Mathy van Nisselroy

Ethernet card and MP3 for C64 (me want for Atari)

Post by Mopar Ma » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:28:52

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:27:58 +0100, "Mathy van Nisselroy"

>Howdy folks

>Check out this site:
>http://www.volny.cz/dundera/devices.html
>They have among other things, an ethernet card (looks not too complicated)
>and an MP3 player card for the C64.  And Vanessa Dannenberg is working on an
>MP3 cartridge too (the MP3 decoding is done by a chip on the cart.  The
>computer is only used to stream the data to the cart).

>This should be possible for the Atari too.

>CU                                Mathy van Nisselroy

Probably the best way to do this on Atari (IMHO) would be to use the
MP3 decoder chip, and simply send the audio through the SIO port (the
same way cassette tapes could be played through the TV).  I have no
idea what kind of control signals the MP3 decoder needs, but I'm sure
the SIO can cupply them.  One problem with the SIO port may be the
limited speed (19200 baud serial).  Surely the PBI would be fast
enough, but not all Atari's have them.

Also, why would you want to use the computer to send the MP3 chip the
data?  64KB of base memory or 180KB (assuming DD disk) isn't going to
amount to much audio.  Why not go for smart media?  64MB of that is
DIRT cheap.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Stephen Anderson

Ethernet card and MP3 for C64 (me want for Atari)

Post by Mathy van Nisselro » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:31:32

Howdy  Stephen

Quote:> Probably the best way to do this on Atari (IMHO) would be to use the
> MP3 decoder chip, and simply send the audio through the SIO port (the
> same way cassette tapes could be played through the TV).  I have no
> idea what kind of control signals the MP3 decoder needs, but I'm sure
> the SIO can cupply them.  One problem with the SIO port may be the
> limited speed (19200 baud serial).  Surely the PBI would be fast
> enough, but not all Atari's have them.

Why not use the cartridge port?  All Atari's have them and it leaves the PBI
free for other things.

Quote:> Also, why would you want to use the computer to send the MP3 chip the
> data?  64KB of base memory or 180KB (assuming DD disk) isn't going to
> amount to much audio.  Why not go for smart media?  64MB of that is
> DIRT cheap.

Who's talking about floppies?  I'm using a harddisk, a ZIPdrive and a CD
ROM.  Now somewhere on these things I guess we could stash an MP3 file or
two.  :-)

CU                        Mathy van Nisselroy

Post by James Alexande » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:27:51

> Howdy  Stephen

> > Probably the best way to do this on Atari (IMHO) would be to use the
> > MP3 decoder chip, and simply send the audio through the SIO port (the
> > same way cassette tapes could be played through the TV).  I have no
> > idea what kind of control signals the MP3 decoder needs, but I'm sure
> > the SIO can cupply them.  One problem with the SIO port may be the
> > limited speed (19200 baud serial).  Surely the PBI would be fast
> > enough, but not all Atari's have them.

> Why not use the cartridge port?  All Atari's have them and it leaves the PBI
> free for other things.

> > Also, why would you want to use the computer to send the MP3 chip the
> > data?  64KB of base memory or 180KB (assuming DD disk) isn't going to
> > amount to much audio.  Why not go for smart media?  64MB of that is
> > DIRT cheap.

> Who's talking about floppies?  I'm using a harddisk, a ZIPdrive and a CD
> ROM.  Now somewhere on these things I guess we could stash an MP3 file or
> two.  :-)

> CU                        Mathy van Nisselroy

I'm talking about floppies for one.  I still love my 8bits (have 3 of them, 800,
expanded 600XL and 130XE) but I dont have hard drives for any of them much less
a cd rom on them.  8bit hard drives are harder to find now although I do
remember seeing something similar to sio2pc that allowed a bare bones XT clone
to function as a file server of sorts,  sort of like a big drive from the
atari's point of view.

Ethernet card and MP3 for C64 (me want for Atari)

Post by Mathy van Nisselro » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 19:12:05

Howdy James

Quote:> Why not go for smart media?  64MB of that is DIRT cheap.

I wouldn't say dirt cheap, but compact flashcards are less then a buck/euro
per MB.  And somebody is working on that.

Quote:> I'm talking about floppies for one.  I still love my 8bits (have 3 of
them, 800,
> expanded 600XL and 130XE) but I dont have hard drives for any of them much
less
> a cd rom on them.

Sorry, I sometimes forget that most people have PC's and Atari's with
floppies instead of no PC and an Atari with harddisks and CD-ROMs and
ZIPdrives and stuff.

Quote:> 8bit hard drives are harder to find now.....

Aren't they all backward compatible?

CU                        Mathy van Nisselroy

Ethernet card and MP3 for C64 (me want for Atari)

Post by rtdo » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:52:56

Ya know, it is getting really really bad when we look at our commodore
bretheren and get super jealous of the products they still have. :o)

Maybe if we stopped all this in-fighting (thank god there has not been
any lately) we'd have stuff they'd be jealous of. :o)

Quote:> Howdy James

> Sorry, I sometimes forget that most people have PC's and Atari's with
> floppies instead of no PC and an Atari with harddisks and CD-ROMs and
> ZIPdrives and stuff.

> Aren't they all backward compatible?

> CU                        Mathy van Nisselroy

1. Riebl ethernet card + MagnumST card together?

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a Riebl ST ethernet
board together with a MagnumST card in a Mega ST 4? (The magnumST card
is a  8MB (in my case) memory expansion set which uses SIMM memory +
TOS 2.06 upgrade). Both are connected onto the Mega Bus.  I'm afraid
that both cards want to use some overlapping memory area between 4MB
and 14MB because the system won't boot (black screen) if I turn it on
with both cards (with one card it's OK).

best regards,
Dennis

2. Trace <address> can substitute address of alternate interface

3. WTB: VME graphics-card and Riebl VME ethernet-card

4. help! need dvi to Panasonic-1080 8-pin printer

5. WANTED ! Ethernet VME Riebel card drivers and doc !

6. Name Server tab order of entries?

7. WTB Atari Ethernet Card

8. Smooth scrolling in 640x480

9. WTD Atari Ethernet VME Cards