dvi previewer capable of displaying postscript fonts on atari ST

dvi previewer capable of displaying postscript fonts on atari ST

Post by Rik Janss » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 18:42:32

Wanted: a dvi previewer for the atari 1040 ST (no harddisk) which also
        previews using postscript fonts.

Context: I am using*2e and xdvi(k) on a UNIX machine. I am
         using PSNFSS (\usepackage{times}) and, thus, postscript fonts.
         I can preview the documents with xdvi with postscriptfonts
         rendered with gsftopk at my work with no problems at all.
         At home, I have a atari 1040 ST and a modem and I would
         like to preview my documents on that atari.

Problem: I tried several dvi previewers for the atari. I've copied the
pk files of the fonts used to the correct directory at home. All previewers
work fine if the normal (cm) fonts are used. However, there is something
missing I think in the pk files of the postscriptfonts.
Maybe this is in the .vf files, but I don't know what to do with these
(i.e. where to put them on the atari).

Previewers tried:
* dvist 3.2 and dvist 3.3. They read the pk font data and find an error,
  next they are aborted.
* dvi_210. According to the documentation, should work with virtual
  fonts, but I got a weird address error (illegal instruction? ---
  I'm not sure) and the program aborts.
* shdvi: did not work either;
* dviatari: same;
* showdvi: same;
* ascreen: same.

Does anyone know a correct dvi previewer, or knows what to do?

Thanks a lot,

Rik Janssen.

Rik Janssen,                               Delft University of Technology,

                                           Pattern Recognition Group,
                                           Lorentzweg 1,
                                           2628 CJ Delft,
                                           The Netherlands.

dvi previewer capable of displaying postscript fonts on atari ST

Post by Mr A.B. Barne » Fri, 16 Sep 1994 23:08:12

Quote:>Wanted: a dvi previewer for the atari 1040 ST (no harddisk) which also
>    previews using postscript fonts.

[...]

You could try using DVIPS to produce a postscript file, then use Ghostscript
(available on a.a.u.e.) to preview it. Not the fastest solution, but it will
work and should be reasonably accurate.

-- Robert Mellish, F.O.G.                             --

-- I could've been someone. (Well, so could anyone.)  --

1. TeX DVI ---> PostScript, and a postscript

Hello. If you are not intersted in my question, but are interested
in the shareware Mac, read on anyway, because I talk about the latter
too.

Well, I've created my TeX .dvi file, but I've no idea how to turn it
into PostScript on my ST. Is a "dvi2ps" program available for the ST somewhere?
I've no facility whatsoever with C compilers, so sources aren't much use.
Also, I've downloaded everything in sight off the servers and can't find
a dvi to ps.  Any ideas anyone?

While I'm here, I should make a short postscript to a previous article I
posted about why I thought a shareware Mac emulator should not be pursued.
In it, I said that such a thing would hurt Dave Small, and it is not in any
ST user's interest to hurt Dave Small. Some people have interpreted this
as my saying that we don't have the "right" to make a shareware Mac emulator,
or that it would be "unethical." I'm not saying anything of the kind. I'M
SIMPLY SAYING THAT IT IS IN *OUR* *INTERESTS* NOT TO DEVELOP SUCH AN EMULATOR,
BECAUSE IT IS IN *OUR* *INTERESTS* NOT TO HURT DAVID SMALL'S BUSINESS. IT
IS, IN EFFECT, SELF-SERVING NOT TO DEVELOP THIS EMULATOR (I claim). I am not
rejecting capitalism, competition, etc. as someone implied (well, maybe I'm
saying competition wouldn't be fruitful in this case; it's not like Dave Small
could do any better than he's doing, so how will a competitor help?)

For those who say that "I'll save a lot of money [because I
won't have to buy Spectre]" please see my and
other people's postings on the subject...I think there are deeper issues
than money to be saved, and I don't even think there is much money to
be saved anyway.

Is anyone actually working on this Mac thing, and if they are would they care
to comment?

Dylan

2. Who familiar stream intersection informations

3. DVI previewer for Atari Colour Monitor Needed

4. two problems with OpenSSH and scp

5. Released: ASCREEN 3.2 (DVI previewer for Atari)

6. Preferred server problem

7. DVI previewer for color monitor sought

8. DOS BATCH Problem

9. Postscript Previewer?

10. Christmas Clipart (IMG or PCX): TT Fonts: PostScript Type 1 Fonts

11. Postscript to DVI filter

12. Fonts for the TeX previewer - Avy's reply

13. Tex.DVI to PostScript