Alternatives to STARTGEM wanted.

Post by Sean Kel » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 05:32:00

I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
yet I can't locate it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (as in FTP or
mailing it to me) for such a program?

Mail those replies, I'll summarize if there's any interest.

--
kelly (sean)                      `What is the wasting?'

Std disclaimers apply             `Ahhhhh.'  --Dr ?
--

Post by Allan Pra » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 18:26:00

>I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
>insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
>as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
>yet I can't locate it.

Become a developer and get TOS 1.4.  You can use "Install Application"
to make one (1) GEM-type application launch before you see the Desktop.
(When it exits, you get the Desktop for the first time.)

Opinions expressed above do not necessarily     -- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.      ...ames!atari!apratt

Post by Jeff Beadl » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 21:28:00

>>I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
>>insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
>>as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
>>yet I can't locate it.
>Become a developer and get TOS 1.4.  You can use "Install Application"
>to make one (1) GEM-type application launch before you see the Desktop.
>(When it exits, you get the Desktop for the first time.)

[ Sigh, FLAME ON ]

Let's try something different here Allan, it's called "Reality".  Do you really
expect someone to become a developer JUST to get TOS 1.4?

What if I WAS a developer.  I write some nifty wizz-bang software that requires
to be run under 1.4.  That's fine and dandy, but you probably wouldn't be able
to sell a product until Atari gets off their duff and starts shipping TOS 1.4
to the people who are willing to *PAY* for it.  (No, not the developers kit AND
TOS 1.4, just 1.4.)

[ Flames lowering... ]

The St is a nice machine for it's nitch.  It's not the answer for all
questions.  However, a USABLE ST would be an interesting concept.  I've got an
auto-folder full of "patches" to work around bugs that Atari was nice enough to
put in my computer.  (Of course they didn't tell me about them before I bought
it :-)

        -Jeff
--
Of course my company doesn't approve of what I say.  If they did, they wouldn't
let me tell you.

Post by Graham Thom » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 15:42:00

>>I really would like to be able to turnkey some programs that
>>insist on calling GEM.  I'd something like STARTGEM, but not
>>as buggy.  There's a rumor of a similar program in existence,
>>yet I can't locate it.

> Become a developer and get TOS 1.4.  You can use "Install Application"
> to make one (1) GEM-type application launch before you see the Desktop.
> (When it exits, you get the Desktop for the first time.)

> Opinions expressed above do not necessarily        -- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.         ...ames!atari!apratt

Er, Allan, are you trying to tell us common-or-garden users
something about the availability of TOS 1.4 to non-developers?  I
have a feeling that we're not going to see it this side of
Christmas.

Becoming a developer may be a viable option in the USA, but in
Britain it costs (last time I checked) the equivalent of $600,
even if you already have the Mark Williams C compiler that comes
bundled with it.  In any case, neither of the registered
developers I know at the University of Sussex have been sent TOS
1.4. (or indeed anything else over the past year).  Not that I'm
suggesting Allan's responsible in any way for the appalling
support provided by Atari UK.

Does anyone have any new information on when TOS 1.4 will be
available:

a) in new machines (and in which ones)

b) for the rest of us to retrofit

It's been some time now since Ken Badertscher announced that the
ROMs were going into production.  It's about time we saw some
results.

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK

Alternatives to STARTGEM wanted.

Post by Neil Forsy » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 11:34:00

writes:

Quote:>something about the availability of TOS 1.4 to non-developers?  I
>have a feeling that we're not going to see it this side of
>Christmas.

I have that weird stomach churning feeling too!

Quote:>Becoming a developer may be a viable option in the USA, but in
>Britain it costs (last time I checked) the equivalent of $600,

For the now legendary Xerox box.

Quote:>even if you already have the Mark Williams C compiler that comes
>bundled with it.  In any case, neither of the registered
>developers I know at the University of Sussex have been sent TOS
>1.4. (or indeed anything else over the past year).

The last time we got a developers newsletter was November 1987!
Madmac & ALN now available it said. The US had had them for almost a year!
I would have thought that Atari US and UK had some e-mail links that would
keep everyone up to date. It seems not.

Quote:>Not that I'm
>suggesting Allan's responsible in any way for the appalling
>support provided by Atari UK.

Agreed! Allan, Ken et al are all we in the UK seem to have by way of
support. For which I am truly grateful.

Other Atari UK crimes include:

        Treating the Developers kit like just another profit making product.

        They only seem interested in marketing programs that they can shift
        quick with no support (ie. games/leisure).

        Buying programs but not releasing them.

        A total lack of enthusiasm for the Atari show hosted by Database.
        As a result of which it will not be held again.

        When you phone, 'The Man' is not here or in a meeting 5 days a week.
        Truth is 'The Man' is not bl**dy interested!
        Don't even bother sending a letter.

Just how much control do the Tramiels have over Atari UK?
I reckon they should fly over here and kick some Atari UK ass/backside.

UK RUMOUR: Does anyone believe that were going to see the TT in 1989 and that
it will cost 1200 pounds?

Quote:>Does anyone have any new information on when TOS 1.4 will be
>available:

I beleive that Germany does well there. No surprise I guess.

>Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK

I have no connection with Atari UK though it is not for want of trying.

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !

! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"  !

1. HELP wanted/ALTERNATIVE MONITOR ON ST!

User wants to connect other types of monitors to the ST. I need help from those
who have done it and from others who know what type of monitor would best serve
this purpose, how much it would cost, things like that. I have read that the
NEC Multi-Sync monitor is cited often in the Atari literature as the a type
which is used by Atari users. Can others be used; whether others can or not
aside though, how exactly does this work. It would seem like some type of
device would interface betwen the ST and the monitor's different electrical
connections.

2. **** 68060 Prices ****(Please read)

3. Alternative keyboard help wanted

4. Grview2 (from DVIWIN 2.9)