net problems under Mint/Aes

Post by Miika Ter » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I have came across with some problems in getting dial up
networking to work under Mint/N_Aes/Thing. Pppd works
fine under plain console (no AES), but under AES I get problems.
I have tried to establish the connection with Connexion, but whenever
I use it it gives an error.

/pipe/log : file not found

for all files it tries to access. Also if I try to use tcsh shell
under Aes, I can't get to any other directories than /h/usr/bin
(h=minix). But if I just browse drive h: under N_Aes window,
I access all directories and files in the minix partition.

Any ideas why I can't get Connexion to find the needed files, or why
tcsh won't let me to other directories?

Miika

net problems under Mint/Aes

Post by Michael Whi » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>I have came across with some problems in getting dial up
>networking to work under Mint/N_Aes/Thing. Pppd works
>fine under plain console (no AES), but under AES I get problems.
>I have tried to establish the connection with Connexion, but whenever
>I use it it gives an error.

>/pipe/log : file not found

I had this same problem to start with.  This is probably not the best
way to do it, but the way I've found that works is to invoke
"sh /etc/rc" before kicking off your PPP daemon.  Note that you'll
probably want to create a special version for AES which does -not-
start up virtual consoles.

Quote:>for all files it tries to access. Also if I try to use tcsh shell
>under Aes, I can't get to any other directories than /h/usr/bin
>(h=minix). But if I just browse drive h: under N_Aes window,
>I access all directories and files in the minix partition.

>Any ideas why I can't get Connexion to find the needed files, or why
>tcsh won't let me to other directories?

Can't help you with the rest.  I use tcsh with no problem (but with
just plain ol' AES).

net problems under Mint/Aes

Post by Katherine L Elli » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

the /pipe/log is probably because when you boot, the syslog daemon
didn't have enough time to create everything, and the next prog run
directly after., Look in your /etc/rc file
and add that right after the syslogd init part
sleep 3
Then here you should have your cron daemon.
If you don't have enough time betweem,. you'll most likely experience
the /pipe/log prob :)

As for the pppd connection, well 1) make sure pppd by itself works
fine. from the aes run it from a shell.
like, run bash into toswinII then make sure your user is either root
or in the group 'wheel'
2) what mint version do you have? also, could you make a dump of your
mint setup with the program "MiNTsetter 2.6" ?
I never used connexion myself, faster for me to type pppd than
launching connexion etc.

>Hi,
>I have came across with some problems in getting dial up
>networking to work under Mint/N_Aes/Thing. Pppd works
>fine under plain console (no AES), but under AES I get problems.
>I have tried to establish the connection with Connexion, but whenever
>I use it it gives an error.

>/pipe/log : file not found

>for all files it tries to access. Also if I try to use tcsh shell
>under Aes, I can't get to any other directories than /h/usr/bin
>(h=minix). But if I just browse drive h: under N_Aes window,
>I access all directories and files in the minix partition.

>Any ideas why I can't get Connexion to find the needed files, or why
>tcsh won't let me to other directories?

>Miika

Web http://www.primenet.com/~kellis/

net problems under Mint/Aes

Post by Nightow » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>I have came across with some problems in getting dial up
>networking to work under Mint/N_Aes/Thing. Pppd works
>fine under plain console (no AES), but under AES I get problems.
>I have tried to establish the connection with Connexion, but whenever
>I use it it gives an error.

>/pipe/log : file not found

For me it sounds like pppd isn't started at all.

Quote:

>for all files it tries to access. Also if I try to use tcsh shell
>under Aes, I can't get to any other directories than /h/usr/bin
>(h=minix). But if I just browse drive h: under N_Aes window,
>I access all directories and files in the minix partition.

>Any ideas why I can't get Connexion to find the needed files, or why
>tcsh won't let me to other directories?

My experience is that I couldn't use Connexion when I was using a
MiNT/mintnet setup created by the TAF-package. Recently I re-installed the
whole thing but now with KGMD (and KEMD). No problems anymore to use
Connexion.
The only problem I've is that I get /dev/log: file not found warnings.
It seems do to not harm however. If anyone has an idea about this I'd be
glad to hear.

CU
Martin

--
             ***************************************
             * On the seventh day He created Atari *

                       ******************
                   But He uses a Hades 060 now

net problems under Mint/Aes

Post by Dorian Darcou » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I never used connexion myself, faster for me to type pppd than
>launching connexion etc.

Connexion is usefull when you have several connections with different
(hard to remember) names. Or when testing different configurations.
Just drag&drop a ppprc file to the connexion's window or install connexion
as a .ppprc.* "viewer" with thing for example. Works great.
Bye, bye.

--

net problems under Mint/Aes

Post by Dorian Darcou » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>I have tried to establish the connection with Connexion, but whenever
>I use it it gives an error.

>/pipe/log : file not found

>for all files it tries to access.

Do you have syslogd installed? IIRC, syslogd is not part of the n.aes
package. Which distribution of mint are you using?

Quote:>Any ideas why I can't get Connexion to find the needed files,

Make sure you have a .ppprc file in your home directory (eg in root, see
/home/root/.ppprc). This file contains pppd commands specific to each user.
Connexion runs pppd with this file as argument.
Sorry for the late reply ;-)
Bye, bye.

--

1. Mint & AES Problems

Hello!

        I've been trying to set up Mint with an AES, and no matter
what I do, I keep getting errors when I try to run software from the
desktop. My Falcon didn't come with MultiTOS, so I've been trying to
set up my own. I've used the KEMD/KGMD kit to set up Mint, however I
don't feel comfortable as yet with Unix text commands. So I've tried
to follow the KEMD instructions to set up an AES, but there were a
couple steps that I couldn't understand, and therefore failed in every
attempt to get an AES to run. I then turned to the AES's instructions
on how to install it with Mint, and at least got it to run, but now
I'm stuck with not being able to run software. I've tried AES 4.1,
Xaaes versions 6 and 7, and the latest Geneva demo. All have the same
problem.

        Would it be possible for someone to create a sample MINT.CNF
file that only instructs Mint to run an AES with a desktop?
Specifically, I'd like to run Mint with Geneva to get a Pre-Emptive
version of Geneva, with NeoDesk 4 or Thing as my desktop. If I could
get a sample MINT.CNF file that makes Mint work correctly with this, I
could take it from there, I think. Thanks in advance!

                                                Mike Freeman

2. Lexicor Rosetta?

3. MH-MiNT 1.12h3 and MiNT-Net 0.70

4. Surplus Tech : SRAM HP95 compatible?

5. Mint & Mint-Net begginers help

6. Epson Scanners

7. MH-MiNT 1.12h3 and MiNT-Net 0.70

8. Turrican

9. AES evnt_multi with MiNT: Busy

10. MiNT/MagiC/AES advice needed

11. booting MiNT 98 and N.AES. HOW?

12. Oasis and N.AES/MiNT/MiNTnet?

13. AES evnt_multi with MiNT: Busy waiting?