3d Glasses

Post by moon!cyberden!phb.. » Mon, 02 Mar 1992 01:52:53

Has anybody made a 3-d game or something?  I just got a cheap (from a
magazin) pair of red/blue 3-d glasses.  I think it'd be cool to at least
make a 1-screen, 2-step animated red/blue picture.  Put on the 3d glasses
and then close one eye for one frame, and the other for the other frame.

Also, I was watching MTV's Buzz Clip show or something, and they had that
new video by Seal (the British guy) called "Killer" and whoever it was
hosting said that it looks even better wearing 3d glasses (she had a pait
of red/green, I think) or polarized sunglasses.  Why is this?  I didn't
see that much of a difference, except that sorta quick-strobe effect 3d
glasses have on certain colors.  Yesterday, I was staring at a bright
pink sheet of paper (a poster, I beleive), and it would slowly change
from purple to blue and back..  really cool.   So, what 3d glasses
software has been made?  (I mean.. these computers have been around for
about 15 years!  SOMEthing must've been done!)
                                Thanks..                Bill Kendrick

_______________________________________
| PhBill:  Bill Kendrick      Atari   |

| 20 so miles North of         8-bits |
| San Francisco, in beautiful   ROCK! |
|_______Marin!________________________|

3d Glasses

Post by Mark Fonta » Tue, 03 Mar 1992 03:07:23

>Has anybody made a 3-d game or something?  I just got a cheap (from a
>magazin) pair of red/blue 3-d glasses.  I think it'd be cool to at least
>make a 1-screen, 2-step animated red/blue picture.  Put on the 3d glasses
>and then close one eye for one frame, and the other for the other frame.

It's been done, but it doesn't look too hot.  There's too much bleed through
because the colors aren't that pure on the TV set (or most composite monitors).
I saw a game on an ST once that used this kind of anaglyphic 3D graphics
with vector figures, and it looked pretty good.

I used to have an ST myself, and had a pair of Stereotek LC shutter glasses.
Those worked quite well, in my opinion.  I still have them, and when I get
some time, I'll mess around with them on my PC.  Seems these would be
easy to connect to the 8 bits, though.  On the PC, the page flipping
in VGA is a pain, because there's really only one decent high-resolution
mode you can use and still get page flipping, something like 320x400.
With the 8 bits, the color and resolution aren't as good, but everything's
simpler.  You could do everything quite easily with a VBI routine.  And page
flipping is easy too.  I guess for P/M graphics, you'd have to keep track
of two complete PMBASE's, and swap between them during the VB.

Has anyone done anything like this with the Stereotek glasses?

Mark

1. 3D glasses

The ACORN user-group from Rochester NY had a program in there library
(that I belive was written by a member) that would display SOLID STATES
images in 3D w/ Red/Blue glasses.  I can dig up there BBS no. if anyone
is interested.

I have been trying to acquire a pair of Sega 3D (or similar) glasses for
a while now.  I think it would be easy to simply drive them during the
VBI which would sync. perfectly with the page flipping.

To the person asking about the PC interface:  I have some simple schematics
lying around for connectiong the Sega glasses to an rs232 port and some
'C' source code to drive the VGA for page flipping.  I will try to find
it if you are interested.

Peace,
-Adam Conover

2. Networking with thw Network cards