Whats happening

Post by Oracl » Sun, 06 May 2001 22:00:54

What's happening to the atari user scene nowadays, is it inevitably going to
shrink into non existence?

I hope not

Whats happening

Post by John Dunca » Mon, 07 May 2001 08:11:16

Does anyone know how many Atari users are still active?  I've just returned
after almost  10 years...I still have my Windoze PC but my STE is still cool
and fun.

As the hardware ages, will we all be on emuators?  I'm playing with
Gemulator, it's nice but doesn't play all these games I  saved..

John

Quote:

> I guess that's up to all of us, including yourself ;-)
> Were you thinking of something in particular or basically just the user
> base of Atari ST computers?

> Hallvard
> --
> Hyperlink Launchpad: <http://www.crosswinds.net/~hall/>
> Atari Launchpad    : <http://launchpad.atari.org>
> Notator/Creator SL : <http://www.crosswinds.net/~notator/>

Whats happening

Post by Goobe » Mon, 07 May 2001 08:46:48

There is still lots of use in the music scene, cubase 2.0 and a 1040 is used
on more chart hits than I could mention!

> > What's happening to the atari user scene nowadays, is it inevitably
going to
> > shrink into non existence?

> > I hope not

> I guess that's up to all of us, including yourself ;-)
> Were you thinking of something in particular or basically just the user
> base of Atari ST computers?

> Hallvard
> --
> Hyperlink Launchpad: <http://www.crosswinds.net/~hall/>
> Atari Launchpad    : <http://launchpad.atari.org>
> Notator/Creator SL : <http://www.crosswinds.net/~notator/>

Whats happening

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Mon, 07 May 2001 22:36:09

Quote:>What's happening to the atari user scene nowadays, is it inevitably going to
>shrink into non existence?

>I hope not

I am not sure I know what you are talking about. To me, the scene is as
good as ever. True it is not as big as some of the other platforms, but
it still exists and I have even run across some new members.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

Whats happening

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Mon, 07 May 2001 22:36:10

Quote:>Does anyone know how many Atari users are still active?  I've just returned
>after almost  10 years...I still have my Windoze PC but my STE is still cool
>and fun.

Yes I sometimes use my wife's PC, but mostly I use my Hades, STe and
130XE. Just cannot stay away from my roots.

Quote:>As the hardware ages, will we all be on emuators?  I'm playing with
>Gemulator, it's nice but doesn't play all these games I  saved..

True the hardware will age, but there are still places to buy Atari
computers and even get them fixed... My old 520 that I bought in 1985
is still going strong as well as my old 130XE, 400 and 800XL.

Post by John Garo » Tue, 08 May 2001 15:28:13

>>Does anyone know how many Atari users are still active?  I've just returned
>>after almost  10 years...I still have my Windoze PC but my STE is still cool
>>and fun.

>Yes I sometimes use my wife's PC, but mostly I use my Hades, STe and
>130XE. Just cannot stay away from my roots.

>>As the hardware ages, will we all be on emuators?  I'm playing with
>>Gemulator, it's nice but doesn't play all these games I  saved..

>True the hardware will age, but there are still places to buy Atari
>computers and even get them fixed... My old 520 that I bought in 1985
>is still going strong as well as my old 130XE, 400 and 800XL.

   And my MegaST4 (1987) is still running a nice "little" MIDI studio
with no glitches. It gives me time to make tea, vacuum, and maybe even
a quick tune-up on the truck :)) Besides, it's not that the older
computers are slower, it's the files that are too big now :)) Of course I
do like my Falcon which can run the F16 Simulater with Backward III.
Gotta' go. There's a MIG on my tail!!!
    John G.
Quote:

>Edward S. Baiz Jr.
>    (Gamer)
>HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
> Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
> Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
>PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
> Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
> Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva                                             >

>.

Whats happening

Post by James Alexande » Thu, 24 May 2001 12:12:30

I hope it keeps on going for a long while.  But I've noticed a lot of
shrinkage.  back when I got my 8bit in 1988 there were still a number of
8bitters and tons of ST users and 3 user groups in town with hundreds of users
each.  Now I've just gotten back into one of them last fall and its down to a
short 4 page newsletter, no bbs and meetings are being moved to peoples homes
due to lack of attendence, a typical meeting this hear would have from 6 to 10
people.  What I suspect  is that there are a number of atari users around who
like me at one time, aren't part of a user group or make regular appearances in
the newsgroups.  I used to run into quite a few people in that position while
bbs's were still popular.

> What's happening to the atari user scene nowadays, is it inevitably going to
> shrink into non existence?

> I hope not

1. Whats happening with Bart on a.a.u.e ?

Umm, this might be a bit superflous, but what exactly IS happening with
Bart? For the last week or so, none of the files I have requested have
arrived. Is this maybe due to the fact that Terminator isn't supplying the
atari files any more, or what?

Incidentally, I don't have FTP access, so mail-server is the only way for me
to get any files.

And I know that all directories now start with caps!

Help anybody???

/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| BuzMack says: Do Unto Others, Then Split!                              |

\------------------------------------------------------------------------/
See ya
BuzMack The Terrible.

2. GO32 bug for DJGPP-V1 found

3. Stan III is up to his old coverup tricks again (was REPOST: Re: whats happened to this NG?)

4. Developing for palm pilot - can I change graphity?

5. REPOST: Re: Stan III is up to his old tricks again (was REPOST: Re: whats happened to this NG?)

6. DOS Window -> DOS FullScreen -> DOS Window?

7. Stan III is up to his old tricks again (was REPOST: Re: whats happened to this NG?)

8. kludge-kerberizing random apps

9. Whats going on the 8th?

10. Whats so great about Bounty Bob?

11. Whats up with PHOENIX