130XE mod - what is it?

Post by Krystian Sergieje » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:39:35

Recently, I have acquired an Atari 130XE. When I opened the case to clean
it, I found some unknown (to me) modification installed on the motherboard.
I tried searching the net for more info on it, but was unsuccessful. I have
taken a few pictures of this mod. Can any one identify what it does?

Please look at the pictures at:

http://www.alphavibes.com/photo/130xe/

Thanks!

Krystian

PS. Private CC would be appreciated.

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by mach » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:03:26

Quote:>Recently, I have acquired an Atari 130XE. When I opened the case to clean
>it, I found some unknown (to me) modification installed on the motherboard.
>I tried searching the net for more info on it, but was unsuccessful. I have
>taken a few pictures of this mod. Can any one identify what it does?

>Please look at the pictures at:

>http://www.alphavibes.com/photo/130xe/

>Thanks!

>Krystian

>PS. Private CC would be appreciated.

I'm not sure (since I don't have a 130XE myself), but since those lines go to
the GTIA (or do they go to ANTIC?) and PIA chips, it's p[ossible that it's a
memory expansion... and there's a 74158 in that little board too, plus the
additional 4050... Just to be sure, check if the 4164 RAM chips are still there
or have been replaced by 41256 ones.

--
__________   ____---____       Marco Antonio  Checa  Funcke
\_________D /-/---_----'      Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru

remove the "no_me_j." in front of the address when replying

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by Krystian Sergieje » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:31:30

One wire actually goes to GTIA... I have already closed the chassis so I
will get back to you again a bit later. Thanks!

-krystian

Quote:> I'm not sure (since I don't have a 130XE myself), but since those lines go
> the GTIA (or do they go to ANTIC?) and PIA chips, it's p[ossible that it's
> memory expansion... and there's a 74158 in that little board too, plus the
> additional 4050... Just to be sure, check if the 4164 RAM chips are still
there
> or have been replaced by 41256 ones.

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by Krystian Sergieje » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:04:15

Indeed there are 41256 chips there, but only in the second row. I guess I
will have to check this computer out with some sysinfo software.

-thanks for the hint!

krystian

Quote:> I'm not sure (since I don't have a 130XE myself), but since those lines go
> the GTIA (or do they go to ANTIC?) and PIA chips, it's p[ossible that it's
> memory expansion... and there's a 74158 in that little board too, plus the
> additional 4050... Just to be sure, check if the 4164 RAM chips are still
there
> or have been replaced by 41256 ones.

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by Krystian Sergieje » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:29:35

It turns out that my Atari has 320Kb of RAM. Wow! What can I do with all
that memory, other than install a ramdisk?
Quote:> Indeed there are 41256 chips there, but only in the second row. I guess I
> will have to check this computer out with some sysinfo software.

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by Winston Smit » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 22:18:03

FamilyNet Newsgate

Re: Re: 130XE mod - what is it?

> It turns out that my Atari has 320Kb of RAM. Wow! What can I do with all
> that memory, other than install a ramdisk?

     Load a whopping great big file into the TEXPRO text editor linked
banks...  read massive amounts of QWK-Mail with the PABQWK mail reader....
Hmm...  I'm not sure what else uses massive memory....

.. WWW.WERS.ORG, WERS Streaming Audio, 22:00 UTC/GMT, "The Playground"
.. WWW.WERS.ORG, Saturdays, Sundays, 22:00-00:99 UTC/GMT, Playground

Posted at telnet://vested-tyme.org

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by TXG » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:08:55

> Re: Re: 130XE mod - what is it?

> > It turns out that my Atari has 320Kb of RAM. Wow! What can I do with all
> > that memory, other than install a ramdisk?

You can use the extra ram as ramdisk with meny DOS systems and run the
latest Polish demo's.
There are even people like me using 1Mb but for some things like running BBS
pro! it's still not enough....

TXG/MNX

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by mach » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 08:11:49

Quote:>It turns out that my Atari has 320Kb of RAM. Wow! What can I do with all
>that memory, other than install a ramdisk?

>> Indeed there are 41256 chips there, but only in the second row. I guess I
>> will have to check this computer out with some sysinfo software.

Well, the most widely extended use is RAMdisk, but there's some software which
recognizes the extra RAM and uses it, fo rexample one-pass disk copiers, Atari
Writer Plus (IIRC), Kedit... Or you could use the RAM for page-flipping
graphics, maybe. Post another message asking for programs that use extended RAM.

--
__________   ____---____       Marco Antonio  Checa  Funcke
\_________D /-/---_----'      Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru
       _H__/_/                      http://machf.tripod.com
      '-_____|(     http://www.GeoCities.com/Hollywood/2645

remove the "no_me_j." in front of the address when replying

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by mach » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 10:52:35

Quote:>Well, the most widely extended use is RAMdisk, but there's some software which
>recognizes the extra RAM and uses it, fo rexample one-pass disk copiers, Atari
>Writer Plus (IIRC), Kedit... Or you could use the RAM for page-flipping
>graphics, maybe. Post another message asking for programs that use extended RAM.

Oh, I see you just did right that...

--
__________   ____---____       Marco Antonio  Checa  Funcke
\_________D /-/---_----'      Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru
       _H__/_/                      http://machf.tripod.com
      '-_____|(     http://www.GeoCities.com/Hollywood/2645

remove the "no_me_j." in front of the address when replying

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by Andreas Magenheime » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 04:03:52

Well,
you can use lots of games and demos that support your extra ram (demos
from Poland for example). Plus you can use sector copiers to copy S/E/D
in one pass. And of course file copiers / file managers to copy a whole
disk into the ramdisk and then copy it back to the source drive again
(no need for 2 drives, just 1 drive + ramdisk)...   just
suggestions...         -Andreas.

Post by Rick D » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:46:36

> It turns out that my Atari has 320Kb of RAM. Wow! What can I do with all
> that memory, other than install a ramdisk?

My favorite uses for the extra memory is to run Paperclip 2.x.  It will use
192K of extra ram as one big buffer, no banking.

Basic XE in the extend mode will use 64K.

Several of the Synapse SYN series will also use extra memory(maybe only 64K XE
banks).

Another use for the ramdisk is game levels for Dandy Dungeon.

Snapshot will use 64K to let you switch between two programs running in main
memory.  The rest can be a shared ramdisk.

I have a picture flip demo I wrote that uses some extra ram as a ramdisk,
flipping 3 pics in main memory.  Mostly to show the speed of ramdisk, page
flipping, and floppy.

Rick D.

130XE mod - what is it?

Post by Ron Hamilto » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 02:09:06

Possibly semantics, Rick... *but* if you have a 6502 in that critter, it
can't see that much ram without some bank switching!

--
-Ron

http://www.atariland.com/members/oldatarian

> > It turns out that my Atari has 320Kb of RAM. Wow! What can I do with all
> > that memory, other than install a ramdisk?

> My favorite uses for the extra memory is to run Paperclip 2.x.  It will
use
> 192K of extra ram as one big buffer, no banking.

1. MODS, MODS, MODS......

        Do most .MOD music files carry the same standard? For instance
can one use the likes of ST Protracker or ST TCB tracker to play say Amiga
music MODS, or are there  slight modifications needed for compatiblity
and if so what are they?
        I know there are various standards for samples -  WAVS+AU (PC's),
SND (macs) AVR RAW etc, and format conversion progs around - no probs here.

        Any hints appr.

P.S: In the meantime, I'm gonna expt. a bit and see if there are
     any compat probs.

2. How to get small icons

3. LOTUS 2 .MOD music from Am*ga on ST ?

4. How do i connect Sinclairs to the net??

5. 130xe mod

6. QSAVE more than 1/2 hour long ?? HELP !!

7. Atari 130XE mods

8. WinCE 2.0: Out-of-date items

9. Looking for 130XE current mod for keyboard

10. WTB: 320K 130XE with Gumby Mod.

11. sorta off topic here, but not really if you see what i am trying to do.

12. Am I missing something here? (Ebay remark)

13. I am selling....