Replacement ST Floppy Drive

Post by Ben Hill » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

I recently bought an Atari 520STFM from a Bric-a-brac type shop
for ten pounds.  The computer itself works alright, but the floppy
drive doesn't. Although the drive makes all the right whirring and
clunking noises it will not read any disks. On closer inspection I
found that one of the Read/Write heads had actually broken off!

I have managed to get another 720k drive from an old Epson XT PC.
The original drive from the ST was an Epson SMD-380. This
replacement drive taken from the PC is an Epson SMD-300. Both are
720k drives and both look exactly the same, but I cannot persuade the
replacement drive to work.  The drive spins correctly, but nothing
else happens.

So, this is a bit of a long shot, but does anybody know what the
correct jumper settings should be on this SMD-300 drive, or does
anybody use an SMD-300 drive in their ST?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ben Hills.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Replacement ST Floppy Drive

Post by please edit email addressto rep » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Ben Hills a crit :

Quote:

> Hi All,

> I recently bought an Atari 520STFM from a Bric-a-brac type shop
> for ten pounds.  The computer itself works alright, but the floppy
> drive doesn't. Although the drive makes all the right whirring and
> clunking noises it will not read any disks. On closer inspection I
> found that one of the Read/Write heads had actually broken off!

> I have managed to get another 720k drive from an old Epson XT PC.
> The original drive from the ST was an Epson SMD-380. This
> replacement drive taken from the PC is an Epson SMD-300. Both are
> 720k drives and both look exactly the same, but I cannot persuade the
> replacement drive to work.  The drive spins correctly, but nothing
> else happens.

> So, this is a bit of a long shot, but does anybody know what the
> correct jumper settings should be on this SMD-300 drive, or does
> anybody use an SMD-300 drive in their ST?

You need to set the drive number to 0 instead of 1. Check the jumper
settings on the original ST drive, they should be similar.

Nick
--
 ===|||==========================================

 -'  '  `- http://quickfaq.atari.org    online.fr

Replacement ST Floppy Drive

Post by John Kola » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On my Espon drive the circuit board is also labelled next to the jumper.

> Ben Hills a crit :

> > Hi All,

> > I recently bought an Atari 520STFM from a Bric-a-brac type shop
> > for ten pounds.  The computer itself works alright, but the floppy
> > drive doesn't. Although the drive makes all the right whirring and
> > clunking noises it will not read any disks. On closer inspection I
> > found that one of the Read/Write heads had actually broken off!

> > I have managed to get another 720k drive from an old Epson XT PC.
> > The original drive from the ST was an Epson SMD-380. This
> > replacement drive taken from the PC is an Epson SMD-300. Both are
> > 720k drives and both look exactly the same, but I cannot persuade the
> > replacement drive to work.  The drive spins correctly, but nothing
> > else happens.

> > So, this is a bit of a long shot, but does anybody know what the
> > correct jumper settings should be on this SMD-300 drive, or does
> > anybody use an SMD-300 drive in their ST?

> You need to set the drive number to 0 instead of 1. Check the jumper
> settings on the original ST drive, they should be similar.

> Nick
> --
>     |||    Nicholas Bales, Toulouse, France
>  ===|||==========================================

>  -'  '  `- http://quickfaq.atari.org    online.fr

Replacement ST Floppy Drive

Post by John Kola » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The link to quickfaq.atari.org goes to a test page that says the system
update was succesful and that you may now delete that page and upload
your page again. Not sure if you noticed :)

1. ST floppy drive replacement

Im looking for a replacement for a ST internal drive.  I want to use the
original faceplate.  I know the epson SMD-340 (1.44mb) will accept the
faceplate with the small eject button will the SMD-300(720K) also accept
this faceplate?

Thanks Don

2. AOL for Palm Pilots is Official

3. Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

4. Heavy traffic on ethernet loopback (lo0)

5. Floppy Drive replacement for 1040st

6. NEW EMULATOR PAGE AVAILABLE!

7. WTB: Replacement STE floppy drive!

8. What to or not to....

9. replacement floppy drive

10. Floppy Drive Replacement?

11. Floppy Drive Replacement

12. WTB: MEGA ST floppy replacement

13. Floppy drive rigged to external floppy port?