Re IOMEGA ZIP SCSI DRIVE 100 MB

Post by Tjako van Schi » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi
I Have trouble reading my Atari-formatted Iomega Zipdisks on my Windows 98
PC.
There appears a drive icon in windows, but no files are visible.
Can anyone help me out with this? I formatted the disks under CBHD 5.0(or
something like that). On my Falcon everything worked fine ....
Thanks in advantage !

Re IOMEGA ZIP SCSI DRIVE 100 MB

Post by Stichting » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi
>I Have trouble reading my Atari-formatted Iomega Zipdisks on my Windows 98
>PC.
>There appears a drive icon in windows, but no files are visible.
>Can anyone help me out with this? I formatted the disks under CBHD 5.0(or
>something like that). On my Falcon everything worked fine ....
>Thanks in advantage !

Atari formatted is different from windhoos formatted in case of
harddisks. Not much.
So:
HDDRiver (commercial) can make 1 partition of the disk that is both
TOS/DOS compatible.
And more: al special trics & functions for ZIP are in HDDriver!

Met vriendelijke groet,
Ronald van der Kamp
secretaris Stichting ST

Re IOMEGA ZIP SCSI DRIVE 100 MB

Post by kevin dermot » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

te:

Quote:>>Hi
>>I Have trouble reading my Atari-formatted Iomega Zipdisks on my Windows
98
>>PC.
>>There appears a drive icon in windows, but no files are visible.
>>Can anyone help me out with this? I formatted the disks under CBHD
5.0(or
>>something like that). On my Falcon everything worked fine ....
>>Thanks in advantage !

32 meg partitions should work on both machines
Kevin

Post by Uwe Seime » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I Have trouble reading my Atari-formatted Iomega Zipdisks on my Windows 98
> PC.

This is normal since the PC can't use TOS compatible partitions. You
have to create DOS compatible partitions on your medium in order to use
it with both the PC and the Atari. On the Atari MagiC, MiNT or Big-DOS
are required to use these partitions.
An alternative that requires no additional software at all is to create
a partition that is both DOS and TOS compatible. This is supported by
HDDRIVER, see http://acp5.chemie.uni-kl.de/seimet/atari_english.html.
HDDRIVER also supports special ZIP features like read/write protection,
passwords, auto sleep and auto park.

          Dr. Uwe Seimet     | I really hate this damned machine,
                             |     I wish that they would sell it.

     WWW: http://acp5.chemie.uni-kl.de/seimet/index.html

1. Q: iomega SCSI ZIP: How to read ZIP discs with DOS format/partition

I now decided to buy the iomega ZIP drive, SCSI version
(thanks for all tips, I didn't want to buy Syquest because I've heard
that they have troubles).

Now I want to read/write DOS formatted and partitioned ZIP discs on my
ATARI (actually I write to the disc also with mtools on a SUN).

I read through the news in DejaNews and nearly everybody suggests HDDRIVER.
So I got the demo version of HDDRIVER 7.6 yesterday.

But in the "readme" it says:

"[...]

NOTE:
Drives that were partitioned with very old versions of the ICD hard disk
software are not AHDI compatible if they have more then 4 partitions.
In this case the installation of an AHDI compatible driver requires
repartitioning your drive with an AHDI compatible software package or
converting the existing partitioning scheme to an AHDI compatible scheme
with ICD2AHDI."

Now, that's not very helpful: which versions of ICD software do they
mean?
"Old versions" is a bit vague...

Is the following software from ICD
HDUTIL    Version 5.13
and
ICDBOOT   Version 6.5.5
ok?

Problem with the demo is that it is VERY restricted.
I have more than 4 HD partitions and so I didn't wonder
that the HDDRIVER demo could find my ZIP drive on SCSI but couldn't
address it with a DOS zip-disc in it(no read).

Otoh I don't want to repartition and buy HDDRIVER now because
I couldn't test it.

Any other tools to simply read or write from/to DOS
formatted/partitioned ZIP discs via SCSI?

                                        Thanks in advance
                                        ME
xpost + f'up

2. World's dumbest question...

3. Using a SCSI drive on old Berkeley Microsystems BMS-100

4. FS: Bernoulli 150 & 3 150Meg disks - $150

5. ZIP 100 Parallel on Atari

6. money

7. Zip 100 para ext with ST?

8. mysql optimisation for records of 100K +

9. IOMega Zip drive

10. How to connect iomega zip drive

11. New IOMEGA ZIP Drive

12. looking for parallel Iomega Zip drive driver