ST Xformer?

ST Xformer?

Post by mar » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:26:10



Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
percentage of stuff works on it?

I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
regarding my question.

Thanks,
Mark

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Rick Cortes » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:24:49



Quote:> Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
> percentage of stuff works on it?

> I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
> newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
> regarding my question.

I used it, even had the cable for putting an 8 bit drive on the ST printer
port. The emulation was less then perfect, not enough horse power in an 8
MHz ST to get it done. It works for things like light programming in BASIC
or games that don't push the limits of the original system.

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Lonny Pursel » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:40:53



Quote:> Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
> percentage of stuff works on it?

> I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
> newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
> regarding my question.

I found that it don't work at all on my Hades060.
But seriously it is slow on a TT if you can find the special
cache disabled version.  It never was pollished or in my opinion
finished to where I'd call it useable.  I like Draco's EmuXL
which is fairly quick, runs on my Hades060 even with MiNT,
however it's still in development.

__________________________________________________________________
Lonny Pursell    atari AT bright DOT net    www.bright.net/~atari/

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:59:11



Quote:>Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
>percentage of stuff works on it?

>I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
>newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
>regarding my question.

>Thanks,
>Mark

I have and use it on my ST. Works pretty well if you can find and make
disk images for it. The ones I made worked great. Too bad Darek did not
upgrade the ST version.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)  
------------------------------------------------------
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva                                                  
------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by mar » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:28:18


Does anyone know if there is a better XL/XE emulator for the ST? I
realize that there are plenty for the PC, but I would much rather
emulate Atari on Atari. Call me sentimental - or not sensible.

Mark



> > Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
> > percentage of stuff works on it?

> > I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
> > newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
> > regarding my question.

> I found that it don't work at all on my Hades060.
> But seriously it is slow on a TT if you can find the special
> cache disabled version.  It never was pollished or in my opinion
> finished to where I'd call it useable.  I like Draco's EmuXL
> which is fairly quick, runs on my Hades060 even with MiNT,
> however it's still in development.

> __________________________________________________________________
> Lonny Pursell    atari AT bright DOT net    www.bright.net/~atari/

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Janka Gerhar » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:44:07



> Does anyone know if there is a better XL/XE emulator for the ST? I
> realize that there are plenty for the PC, but I would much rather
> emulate Atari on Atari. Call me sentimental - or not sensible.

ST Xformer seems to work at about real speed on the ST but it does
not include PM Graphics emulation and it has lots of dirty hacks
in it to enhance performance. That's the reason why it doesn't
work on 68030 and later processors except maybe with caches turned
off.
There is another, complete, XL emulation under development for the
ST but although the guy who's working on it is very competent and
working hard for half a year I think, I doubt that he could ever
achieve anything near to real XL speed on the ST.
I am working on a 68030+ version of the Atari800 emulator and at
the moment have it running at about 1/4 of original speed on a
CT2B Falcon.

Gerhard

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Andreas Magenheime » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:11:06


Well,
there is the XL Deejay, which merely emulates the floppy (just like
SIO2PC or Ape). But it uses its very own .DI format which is not
compatible in any way to ATR, XFD or DCM. Even Jindrich`s ACVT convert
program does not convert properly to those .DI images (it converts, but
the Deejay does not accept them).
So, the XL Deejay is a pretty well program, but only if you do not want
to swap images with your friends...         -Andreas.

mark schrieb:

> Does anyone know if there is a better XL/XE emulator for the ST? I
> realize that there are plenty for the PC, but I would much rather
> emulate Atari on Atari. Call me sentimental - or not sensible.

> Mark



> > > Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
> > > percentage of stuff works on it?

> > > I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
> > > newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
> > > regarding my question.

> > I found that it don't work at all on my Hades060.
> > But seriously it is slow on a TT if you can find the special
> > cache disabled version.  It never was pollished or in my opinion
> > finished to where I'd call it useable.  I like Draco's EmuXL
> > which is fairly quick, runs on my Hades060 even with MiNT,
> > however it's still in development.

> > __________________________________________________________________
> > Lonny Pursell    atari AT bright DOT net    www.bright.net/~atari/

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Jindrich Kube » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:06:59



> But it uses its very own .DI format which is not
> compatible in any way to ATR, XFD or DCM. Even Jindrich`s ACVT convert
> program does not convert properly to those .DI images (it converts, but
> the Deejay does not accept them).

Heeeey, I need some bugreport in order to make you (and DeeJay) happy!
;-)
So, tell me which images got converted and don't work on DeeJay. Are you
sure you have the latest version?

I tested it this way: DI -> ATR -> DI and compared source and dest DI
files.
I didn't find any which was different.

Jindroush

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:15:12



Quote:>Does anyone know if there is a better XL/XE emulator for the ST? I
>realize that there are plenty for the PC, but I would much rather
>emulate Atari on Atari. Call me sentimental - or not sensible.

>Mark

The only one that has even worked for me was Xformer. Still works great
even now...

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)  
------------------------------------------------------
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva                                                  
------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:15:14



Quote:>Well,
>there is the XL Deejay, which merely emulates the floppy (just like
>SIO2PC or Ape). But it uses its very own .DI format which is not
>compatible in any way to ATR, XFD or DCM. Even Jindrich`s ACVT convert
>program does not convert properly to those .DI images (it converts, but
>the Deejay does not accept them).
>So, the XL Deejay is a pretty well program, but only if you do not want
>to swap images with your friends...         -Andreas.

>mark schrieb:

Yes, I use this one also. Works great, even on my Hades 060. Still need
an 8-bit computer, but at least you can have all your programs on the
ST's hard drive and not on disks...

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)  
------------------------------------------------------
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva                                                  
------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by mar » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 06:33:48


In reference to this message, and this is going to show my stupidity
in reference to how ST Xformer works..

Am I correct in assuming that you have to convert a program to a
particular format to make it work with Xformer? What are the
limitations on what you can convert (for instance, could I make a BBS
program work on the ST in basic, or possibly terminal program?).. And
what operating system do you do this conversion under?

Thanks!



> >Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
> >percentage of stuff works on it?

> >I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
> >newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
> >regarding my question.

> >Thanks,
> >Mark

> I have and use it on my ST. Works pretty well if you can find and make
> disk images for it. The ones I made worked great. Too bad Darek did not
> upgrade the ST version.

> Edward S. Baiz Jr.
>     (Gamer)  
> ------------------------------------------------------
> HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
>  Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
>  Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
> PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
>  Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
>  Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva                                                  
> ------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Andreas Magenheime » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 00:01:38


Well,
the problem is, I do not have any ST or compatible atari, nor the XL
Deejay. Some months ago I converted several ATR images to .DI format for
a friend (who uses the Deejay) using your ACVT program. He reported to
me, that none of these converted images worked, thus I concluded there
must be something wrong with your converter... I am sorry, that I cannot
give you any further details, maybe another Dejay user can...  
-Andreas.

Jindrich Kubec schrieb:


> > But it uses its very own .DI format which is not
> > compatible in any way to ATR, XFD or DCM. Even Jindrich`s ACVT convert
> > program does not convert properly to those .DI images (it converts, but
> > the Deejay does not accept them).

> Heeeey, I need some bugreport in order to make you (and DeeJay) happy!
> ;-)
> So, tell me which images got converted and don't work on DeeJay. Are you
> sure you have the latest version?

> I tested it this way: DI -> ATR -> DI and compared source and dest DI
> files.
> I didn't find any which was different.

> Jindroush

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by James Alexande » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:33:32


I've got it on one of my st's but I never took it seriously other than as
a rather buggy curiosity.  I had the luck to keep a couple working 8bits
around and buy up some things from user group flea markets and also when
antic publishing had a clear out saile about a decade ago (right before
they went bust).  Hence I haven't really used it at all recently

> Has anyone used ST Xformer to emulate the 8bit? How does it work, what
> percentage of stuff works on it?

> I realize that ST Xformer runs on the ST, and this is an 8-bit
> newsgroup - but I thought that some people here might have some info
> regarding my question.

> Thanks,
> Mark

 
 
 

ST Xformer?

Post by Greg Goodwi » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:16:40


FamilyNet Newsgate

    One cute setup I did once was to have a tan 1040ste as the main computer
and as a "8-bit module" had a tan XEGS (the 8-bit game system with detachable
keyboard).  They made a nice matched set!

    Of course the problem you run into when you have a 8-bit/ ST system and one
without a keyboard attached is that one needs a virtual keyboard or some way to
input text.

    I currently have hte reverse setup right now.  A Atari 800 with a "890 ST
interface" (which is a 1040STE in a beige computer case).  Again 800 XLDJ and
other null modem setups are the call of the day with all this.  And again, I
wish there was a virtual keyboard setup (that was mouse operated or something)
that could be used for input on the ST side of things.

    Fun hobby isn't it?

    Doctor Clu



>> Well,
>> there is the XL Deejay, which merely emulates the floppy (just like
>> SIO2PC or Ape). But it uses its very own .DI format which is not
>> compatible in any way to ATR, XFD or DCM. Even Jindrich`s ACVT convert
>> program does not convert properly to those .DI images (it converts, but
>> the Deejay does not accept them).
>> So, the XL Deejay is a pretty well program, but only if you do not want
>> to swap images with your friends...         -Andreas.

>> mark schrieb:
> Yes, I use this one also. Works great, even on my Hades 060. Still need
> an 8-bit computer, but at least you can have all your programs on the
> ST's hard drive and not on disks...
> Edward S. Baiz Jr.
> (Gamer)
> ------------------------------------------------------
> HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
> Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
> Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
> PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
> Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
> Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva
> ------------------------------------------------------

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org
 
 
 

1. ST Xformer 2.3?

I have a BRE software PD catalog sitting here, and it has ST Xformer 2.3
listed in it! I understand that BRE software is one of the official
ST Xformer distribution sites, is this something only available from BRE?
 -----------------------------  -//-  ----------------------------

| FlightLine  data.612.544.5118  <>  note:  the views of  this    |
| Aviation & FlightSim Resource  <>  user are strictly his own.   |
 -----------------------------  -//-  ----------------------------

2. Recommend keyboard?

3. ST Xformer cable

4. Printer User Accounting

5. ST Xformer for the Falcon

6. Apple II or Apple II+ ????

7. ST Xformer docs to hook up 8bit drive to serial port, where?

8. Need a SQL*UNLoader

9. How does ST Xformer work?

10. ST Xformer 2.5

11. ST Xformer code

12. ST Xformer Source