'Stacker' program for ST

Post by Marco_Verhoe.. » Wed, 17 Mar 1993 00:05:10

In a message of <Fri 12 Mar 93 19:39>, John Richardson (2:281/202.0)
writes:
 JR> In Europe try Data-Light (don't know the company...but commercial
 JR> I believe);
 JR> in North America try Data-Diet (again I forgot by who...but again
 JR> I believe commercial).  I believe both are 'equivalent' to the
 JR> stacker-type programs for
 JR> the IBM comtemptibles.

I have used both programs and Data Diet is the better of the two.

Datadiet has a much better rate of compressing and is also a bit faster.
It's DC Data Diet (from DC) but they're now Codehead I believe...

.\\arco

--- MARSmail v1.20
 * Origin: You gotta know when to code 'em, know when to modem. (2:285/607.11)

'Stacker' program for ST

Post by Volker A. Brand » Thu, 18 Mar 1993 21:58:00

Quote:>In a message of <Fri 12 Mar 93 19:39>, John Richardson (2:281/202.0)
>writes:
> JR> In Europe try Data-Light (don't know the company...but commercial
> JR> I believe);
> JR> in North America try Data-Diet (again I forgot by who...but again
> JR> I believe commercial).  I believe both are 'equivalent' to the
>I have used both programs and Data Diet is the better of the two.

>Datadiet has a much better rate of compressing and is also a bit faster.
>It's DC Data Diet (from DC) but they're now Codehead I believe...

Note that both programs use totally different strategies to perform compression
-- Data Diet packs on a file basis, while DataLight works on a file _system_
[i.e. partition] basis.  Both programs save on I/O time to compensate for the
added decompression delay, and both programs pack different files with
different compression ratio, depending on the file type.

IMHO it is not justified to claim that DD is overall better.  You have to take
into account that DL has an overhead when first compressing a partition. If you
do a first comparison and then give up on DL, you are hasty.  Let's see a
real benchmark before jumping to conclusions.

I don't have DataDiet so I can't really compare the two.

-- Volker

Phone:    +49 228 73 3427                              (Bonn, Germany)

1. Those 'crippled' Mega2 ST's

RE: Mega2 ST that are 'not expandable'

    I think, in my always unexpert opinion, that those 'unexpandable'
Mega2 STs, the ones which don't have Mega4 memory expansion areas, are
unexpandable only as per the experience of the dealer's tech or
individual attempting to work on the unit.
    My dealer has been expanding those STs to four megs with no problem.
Don't know how or if they are using their own expansion board or what,
but they do it.
    Regarding Ken and other Atari engineers who have commented on
these units.  Remember that these kind folks are engineers, not the
marketing people...  Do or die, they have to perform their work the
way the boss man says...

2. Sun X2570 Processor Module

3. BBS's, Usenet, ST's and PC's

4. Crash: CWSDSTUB vs PMODSTUB

5. Basic 'B' to 'C' in an XL?

6. WTB: USR Sportster V.34 28K

7. I'm looking for 'Henry's House'...

8. splitter cable on a Sparc20?

9. FA: Atari 400/800 '14' Tapes 'Rare Games' (ends 12/26)

10. On 'bandwidth' and 'under-rated games'

11. Looking for 'man' and 'more'

12. looking for a program for the Atari 8-bit called 'Sam Program' or 'Reciter'

13. The Atari 'Mint' program