MAE Assembler

Post by John Harr » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

The MAE assembler is finally ready for a primetime release.  I am sorry for
those of you who have been waiting a year for this.  It was another
difficult time for me personally, but I expect things to improve from here.
I hope I can partially make up for it with some of the newest enhancements
to the assembler.

For a little background, MAE originally came from Eastern House software,
makers of the Monkey Wrench.  I've been using it since 1981, although I
made substantial modifications to it before I found it a useful tool.  In
the first few years, I tried to get Eastern House interested in the changes
I made, and in return I wanted to get actual source code to help fix some
of the more elusive bugs I encountered.  The situation never worked out,
and I eventually realized that I was not going to get the kind of tool I
really wanted without writing new code anyway.  The problem, was that I
could never justify taking all the time at once to write the whole thing
from scratch.  Instead, I kept doing more extensive mods, and replacing
modules a bit at a time.  It was always for my own use, but several years
ago, others became interested in it.  Anomalies that I had gotten used to
now seemed more embarrassing with the prospects of others using it.  There
was also the issue of not wanting it to be placed in general release while
still containing much of the original Eastern House code.  This started a
snowball of more replacements and rewrites that ultimately arrived here.

I really want to thank those of you that sent money or other goodies as a
kind of shareware contribution, even though I did not ask for anything.  It
was a terrific gesture that gave me much of the inspiration I needed to get
this completed.  I also want to thank Itay Chamiel for providing 80 column
software routines like those in his Ice-T terminal, and doing most of the
work to adapt them to a 64 column mode.  Finally, thanks to the beta
testers and suggestions I received that account for many of the new
features.

New features for this release include a configuration utility, completely
new macro system with full text substitution, new conditional assembly
(nested also), comment or uncomment blocks of text, load/save key macros to
disk, and many others.

For those of you not familiar with earlier versions, here are some of the
feature highlights:

Excellent full screen editor with key macros, automatic 'JSR' and return to
subroutine and data labels, block moves and copies, and multiple undo.

Compatible with XEP80 and other 80 column devices.  64 and 80 column
high-speed software drivers also included.

High level of integration between editor, assembler, and de*.  The
editor can take you directly to lines that had assembly errors.  The
de* can reference labels in the symbol table and assemble single
program lines.

True local labels.

Full text-substitution assembler macros.

Full 65816 and 24-bit support.

Uses only 1.25K of main system memory.  Most of the code resides in bank
select. (Still runs in 64K, but you'll only have 13.75K for source buffer).

Still being supported!

John Harris             Japanese translation of Microsoft slogan:

                         we'll make sure you get taken."

MAE Assembler

Post by Fred Thompso » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> The MAE assembler is finally ready for a primetime release.  I am sorry
for
> those of you who have been waiting a year for this.  It was another
> difficult time for me personally, but I expect things to improve from
here.
> I hope I can partially make up for it with some of the newest
enhancements
> to the assembler.

So just where is MAE available from?

Fred Thompson

BTW: If you have any knowledge of where the source for Turbo BASIC can be
located, I'd sure appreciate the info.

MAE Assembler

Post by Glenn Saunder » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

John is looking for a place to upload this.  Please assist him.

MAE Assembler

Post by John Harr » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Version 1.1 of the MAE assembler was just uploaded to ftp at
atari.archive.umich.edu.

I can also MIME EMail copies to anyone interested.

In addition to 6502 programs, this version can create 65816 code in the
full 24-bit address space.  However, if you do have a 65816 CPU in your
machine, you should contact me for a special version.  When assembled with
65816 opcodes, the editor is twice as fast, and the assembly speed is
faster too.  You can also get additional de* support for 16-bit regs
and stuff.

Post by William Kendri » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Version 1.1 of the MAE assembler was just uploaded to ftp at
: atari.archive.umich.edu.

You could get in?  Hmm!  Maybe they fixed something?  I'll have to
go through and put some more of the New/ files into their proper
places. :)

: In addition to 6502 programs, this version can create 65816 code in the
: full 24-bit address space.  However, if you do have a 65816 CPU in your
: machine, you should contact me for a special version.  When assembled with
: 65816 opcodes, the editor is twice as fast, and the assembly speed is
: faster too.  You can also get additional de* support for 16-bit regs
: and stuff.

Why not upload both versions?  Or did you?

I would be interested in a tutorial, too!  Like, examples of how to do
everything from "Hello World" to DLI's and music. :)

Also, recommendations for some good 6502 (esp. Atari-specific) and 65816
(hopefully generic) books would be a MAJOR help!

And John, wanna write a 65816-based high level programming language?
(I don't care if it doesn't create 65816 software, I just want a GOOD
development system!  Hell, even something for Unix that makes Atari-ready
compiled software would be SUCH a HELP!)

-bill!

http://www.veryComputer.com/