ADVOCACY: RE: 386SX prices

Post by Peter Kocour » Sat, 23 Jan 1993 09:59:10

01mbmccabe wrote in a message on 20 Jan 93 to All

Quote:> A side point to...the Falcon only has a 16 bit bus to the CPU, the DSP

gets > it's chunks on a 32-bit bus, and the Video system is primed to grab
memory > 64-bits at a time.  So it's not "just a 16-bit bus".

 0>  So what does this mean (theoretically) about the speed of
 0> a Falcon 030 compared to the relative speed of of a Mac IIci
 0> -- or whichever Mac was cited as bieing 'crippled' with a 16bit
 0> bus like the Falcon 030?

That's the LC and LC II. The video system in the Falcon gets its data in
32-bit chunks, not 64-bit (that's the TT). While video access is going on,
the CPU can't use the bus; but, in the LC and LC II, there is a separate
video RAM, which means that they don't suffer from waiting for the video
the finish with the bus. On the whole, I am afraid this tips the balance
slightly in favor of the Macs.

YHS:QSI!

1. ADVOCACY: RE: 386SX prices

I. Barnett wrote in a message on 18 Jan 93 to All

 IB> You are saying that a 386sx is outdated? Do you mean that a
 IB> 32 bit processor that communicates only 16 bits at a time is
 IB> too slow? Gee, didn't I just describe the Falcon030's architecture?
 IB> Wake up. If you contend that the 386sx is useless, then you
 IB> have to admit that the Falcon's (and Mac IIsi, Classic II,
 IB> and LCII) are equally as useless.

Whoa! The IIsi has a full 32 bit bus, unlike the LC and LC II. After all,
the IIsi is a _real_ Mac. :-) The system runs at 20 MHz, and with a 68882
added to it (as I have) it runs fairly consistently at half the speed of a
IIfx.

YHS:QSI! (A slightly irate IIsi owner :-))

2. simultaneous VPN and internet connection problems

3. ADVOCACY: Re: 386SX prices

4. Problems with Logon Scripts

5. ADVOCACY: More prices, prices, prices

6. lineA....

7. ADVOCACY: Prices, Prices, and more Prices.....

8. PC disk drives in ST ??

9. 386SX prices

10. ADVOCACY: New Macs out - Falcon price obsolete?

11. ATonce-386SX

12. FS(UK): Vortex ATonce-386SX PC Emulator (for MegaSTe)

13. FS(UK) 386SX PC Emulator - MegaSTe only