3D glasses.. and the XF551

Post by Ray Courtoi » Thu, 02 Aug 1990 18:04:00

  To connect the 3D glasses to an atari should be no problem.  All that
would be needed is a joystick cable and a stereo jack.  Connect 3 wires
(2 output lines and a ground), then set up porta to have 2 outpur lines.
But now is when the fun begins..  You will need more than just this to
see in 3d.  You will need to create TWO screens, and a DLI that will
flip between them.  It would also have to keep track of which eye is
can see the screen and keep this in line with which screen is being
shown..  This means that now you've got to dedicate 16K to the screen..

   About the XF551 drive..  does this ADOS thing exist, or is atari
still shipping dos2.5 with it??  One question I have about this drive
is what will it do if you put a older double sided (cut the notch type)
disk in it??  If you try to write to the disk, will it think it is ok
to write to the back of the disk,or think the whole back side is bad
(because the data is comming off the disk backwards..)??  Also I
remember atari saying that the i/o speed of this drive is faster (2.9x)
than the older drives.  Does this work in the sam way as the us doubler?
(I have 2 usd 1050's)  what is the best dos to use with th xf551??

Ray C

"a fool and his money buy a commodore!!"

3D glasses.. and the XF551

Post by Stan Lack » Thu, 02 Aug 1990 15:56:00

>  To connect the 3D glasses to an atari should be no problem.  All that
>would be needed is a joystick cable and a stereo jack.  Connect 3 wires
>(2 output lines and a ground), then set up porta to have 2 outpur lines.

Liquid crystals like they use in the glasses are clear with no voltage
applied, and go opaque when +-10V at 400 Hertz is applied.  There is no
way to get this directly from the Atari; a little box with a voltage
source, a 400Hz source and high voltage (well, >5V) switcher is needed.
The SEGA uses a clever scheme that only requires +10V is used, by
putting the square wave on the common and twiddling the phase.  Another
problem-- many liquid crystals suffer long term deterioration if there
is any DC component put across them.

Quote:>   About the XF551 drive..  does this ADOS thing exist, or is atari
>still shipping dos2.5 with it??

I got mine in late spring.  2.5 came with it, with no mention of its
capabilities past the 1050.  Except on the box.  SpartaDOS is capable of
using it, though; this works with Atari BASIC and stuff like that, but
the Atari assembler doesn't work under it, and I don't know how to use
Turbo Basic under it.  OK, so you copy the files to an Atari-formatted
disk then reboot and use the other tools.  Inconvenient but usable.

Quote:>One question I have about this drive
>is what will it do if you put a older double sided (cut the notch type)
>disk in it??

The drive reads the style of the formatting, then behaves exactly like an
810 or 1050.  There is no way to tell it to use the back side, short of
turning the disk over.

Quote:>I remember atari saying that the i/o speed of this drive is faster (2.9x)
>than the older drives.  Does this work in the sam way as the us doubler?
>(I have 2 usd 1050's)  what is the best dos to use with th xf551??

In 1050 or 810 mode, the drive seems a little faster.  To get the higher
speed, it really needs to be in DD mode.

-Stan

1. 3d glass demo.

For those of you with a pair of 3d glasses, try this demo:

10 GR.23:POKE 712,0:POKE 708,64:POKE 709,130:DIM C(21),S(21)
15 FOR I=0 TO 21:C(I)=COS(I*.3):S(I)=SIN(I*.3):NEXT I
20 R=0:F=1
22 TRAP 30:T=NOT T:COLOR T+1
25 FOR B=1 TO F:R=R+1:PLOT 79+R,47:F.I=0 TO 21:DR.R*C(I)+79,-R*S(I)+47
26 T=NOT T:COLOR T+1
27 NEXT I:NEXT B:F=F+1:GOTO 22
30 POKE 708,64:POKE 709,130:GOS.100
35 POKE 709,64:POKE 708,130:GOS.100:GOTO 30
100 FOR B=1 TO 228-PADDLE(1):NEXT B:RET.

This'll draw a dart-board like circle (sorta like a bent checker-board)
made of the best blue/red combo I could come up with for red/blue 3d
glasses.  If you have a red/green, try adjusting the 130 to something
around 194, perhaps (maybe post the best green).
To adjust the speed, use paddle 2.  If you don't have paddles (how dare
you!), just make the "228-PADDLE(1)" some number.  Now put on the glasses
and just stare!  Really hypnotic!  If I used drugs, it might be even
BETTER!...  but I'm not going to start for just a demo.!! ;)

Maybe one of you has had experience with bio-feedback.  Now THAT'd be the
best!  I more mellow you get, the slower the colors cycle!

The next post will have a somewhat shorter program that does a different
demo, but still for 3d glasses.
Just for fun, here's a quick run-down of this one:
line 10-set/screen and color and an array to capture some trig stuff (for
speed)
line 15-capture the trig stuff
line 20-set a couple-a variables (radius and F (why?, who knows!
probably has some strang meaning in the universe!).. F gets bigger to
make the dartboard effect, rather than just bars of light coming from the
center.
line 22-trap and do the dartboard color set-up (one more color toggle)
line 25-uses B to go F times..makes the Radius bigger, draws a circle
line 26-toggles color
line 27-closes FOR loops and loops circle
lines 30-35-changes colors and gosubs the pause loop
line 100-pauses depending on paddle turn
                        later!  Enjoy this demo!  (probably still looks
good without the 3d glasses, so try it if you're really bored!)

_______________________________________
| PhBill:  Bill Kendrick      Atari   |

| 20 so miles North of         8-bits |
| San Francisco, in beautiful   ROCK! |
|_______Marin!________________________|

2. Problems with WM_QUERYENDSESSION

3. 3D glasses

4. Timeouts during writes on DEC Alpha machines

5. Stereo-Tek 3D glasses?

6. Send to database

7. Question about Stereotek 3D Glasses

8. FP FAQ -- Nov 28, 2002 How to get the best answer to your FrontPage newsgroup question

9. Use 3D Chopper Glasses on your ST once again

10. Stero Tek 3D Glasses 4 sale

11. FS: StereoTek 3D Glasses

12. stereo-tek 3D glasses!!!