Atari vs Macitosh

Post by julia blum » Tue, 03 Jul 1990 00:06:00

        I would like to find out how compatible the atari.st is to
        the Macintosh's.

        I've been thinking about buying a Macintosh, but I've understood
        it would be wise of me to look into an atari system.

        Anyone with info, please help me out.

                -Julia

Atari vs Macitosh

Post by Chris Hint » Thu, 02 Aug 1990 04:16:00

>    I would like to find out how compatible the atari.st is to
>    the Macintosh's.

  If you want to know if an off-the-shelf Atari ST can run Macintosh software,
then the answer is no.  But, there are these wonderful devices that you can
purchase along with your ST that give you the ability to run most, if not all,
existing Mac software.  I cannot quote any prices, but I am quite sure that
the system would end up costing much less than the overpriced Mac, and you
will have the ability to run software for both systems.

Mod Software Systems
Seattle, Wa  98195

"Why didn't you tell me he had one of those... things?" - The Joker.
"My life is really...complex." - Bruce Wayne.
"Excuse me...  What does God need with a starship?" - James T. Kirk.

Atari vs Macitosh

Post by DAVID MEGGINS » Thu, 02 Aug 1990 03:10:00

The ST is not, by nature, compatible with the Mac.  In fact, it is (on
the surface) more compatible with the IBM computers, because it uses the
same floppy disk format.

However, inside the ST is very similar to the Mac.  Several companies
have offered hardware additions to the ST or Megas which allow them to
run Mac software.  I've heard that the best is Spectre 128, which runs
Hypercard, Adobe Illustrator, etc.  It actually uses a Mac 128k ROM, so
it is very compatible.

If you want to use Mac disks, however, you will have to buy a special
converter box for your disk drive, which will cost a couple more
hundreds.

In the end, take a close look at the software available for the ST
itself.  It is often as good or better (I've used the Mac too), and
tends to cost half or a third as much, like the ST.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.0R

1. c64 vs CPC vs Speccy vs Atari vs Whatever

c64 vs CPC vs Speccy vs Atari vs Whatever(tm)

My answer to your pathetic flaming arguments and to other peoples
pathetic arguments about which computer is better. Blah blah  blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, or c64 blah. Blah blah blah,
and  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah? Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah, because  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah, cpc! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah! Blah blah blah blah blah blah
totally silly. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah stupid, stupid,
stupid! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah,
and not only that, but blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah!! Blah blah blah, and  blah blah blah
blah blah speccy blah blah blah blah blah blah! Blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!!! Blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah. Blah blah blah, and blah blah: "blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah". Blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah atari!! Blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah!!! Therefore blah blah blah blah, or blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah, is not blah blah blah, but blah blah
blah blah. IMAO, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, or blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah totally worthless! Blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, and go to hell
with your stupid flamewars! Visit Forever 4 - multiplattform 8 bit
party this year in March 14.-16.2003 in Trencin/SK.

Roman

2. How to print ~

3. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

4. Async Port Question!

5. TW/DataManager ST vs. BaseTwo vs. SuperBase vs. dBMan vs. your fave

6. Next Version of Frontpage

7. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs

8. VUE/DNS/BMS problem - HELP!

9. Atari 7800 vs. XL/XE vs 5200

10. Commodore vs. Atari (was Re: Jaguar vs. the 3DO)

11. Alfcrunch vs ARC vs Diskcom

12. GNU vs My sanity vs My phone bill

13. Jaguar Vs SNES Vs PC