ZIP drive for ST ??

Post by Harry Jacobso » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi ,

Sorry if this has been covered a million times...

I was an Atari ST user since '85 or so... Still use it exclusively
for midi <c-lab > but have moved to a pentium for all else <got tired
of looking at German>

1. Is there a driver and tools program ported to the ST for ZIP drives?

2. is there a good emulator for the PC to Atari and  Atari to Pc ?

Thanks much,

ZIP drive for ST ??

Post by Dave » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi ,

>Sorry if this has been covered a million times...

>I was an Atari ST user since '85 or so... Still use it exclusively
>for midi <c-lab > but have moved to a pentium for all else <got tired
>of looking at German>

>1. Is there a driver and tools program ported to the ST for ZIP drives?

Yep. Hisoft in the UK produce a CPX for controlling it and the latest
versions of HD Driver also support Zips and other removable media.

Quote:>2. is there a good emulator for the PC to Atari and  Atari to Pc ?

For atari emulation on a PC, there's gemulator and MagicPC 5. On the
atari, things are good. The 'latest' emulator available is for Falcon
machines only and is a 286 16mhz board.

Regards
Dave B

ZIP drive for ST ??

Post by Brian Rola » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Hi ,
:
: Sorry if this has been covered a million times...
:
: I was an Atari ST user since '85 or so... Still use it exclusively
: for midi <c-lab > but have moved to a pentium for all else <got tired
: of looking at German>
:
: 1. Is there a driver and tools program ported to the ST for ZIP drives?

Yep...HD-Driver does the trick...
You need at least one device in your SCSI chain that provides SCSI
termination power if you happen to be using the ICD Link ASCI controller
since the ZIP doesn't provide termination power.  If you aren't using
the Link, or you have other SCSI devices on the chain...no problem most
likely.  If you do use the Link...and no other device provides termination
power...you'll need to build a special cable to get some power to your
Link.

: 2. is there a good emulator for the PC to Atari and  Atari to Pc ?

Yes...and no...an no again...
Gemulator and MagiC PC are pretty good STe emulators for Windows 95.
Don't expect to run Notator on them however...as they don't have
support for the Dongle...and Notator/Creator require a TRUE Atari TOS
and AES since they hook directly into the desktop.  It is possible to
install TOS roms in your PC for use with Gemulator if you have a free
ISA slot.  Should someone come out with an Atari ROM port for the PC,
and you installed a TOS ROM card...then it "might" be possible to
run Notator/Creator on a PC...but as far as I know, it can't be done
at the moment.  I think there is also an ST emulator for the PC called
Janus, but I know nothing about it...sorry.

On the Atari to PC end...there are a few pretty good DOS emulators
such as AT-Speed.  It's a 286 16mhz processor card that sits atop
your Atari's M68000.  It'll run windows...and quite well on the older
applications...but for modern software...save your money.  Also in
existance (but pretty hard to find) is the Super Charger...it's based
on an AMD 8088 processor that's been hacked to run most 286 compatible
software (such as windows 3.00 in protected <that's single tasking> mode).
I don't think any one still makes the AT-Speed for the ST/STe, but
a few places still have some in stock.  There might have been a few
16mhz 386 cards made for the ST...but I've never seen one.  Since most
PC software these days requires a VGA resolution to even get it loaded...
it's really tuff to get an ST to do dos/windows.  You best chance
is with a Monochrome monitor emulating a CGA Hercules mode...but then
there's no color!  Finally, there is a company called Tech Specialties
that once produced a custom Case and some interfaces that would allow
you to slap both an ST and PC mother board into the same case and
wire them both into the same hard drives, modems, monitors, and so on
so they could share hardware.  They've most likely got some of these
cases/interfaces left over.

Oh, what are you looking at in German that you can't find in English?
So far I've had good luck with finding English versions of the really
good German stuff.  Oh, and you can always hack the RSC files and
change it over to English if ya can't find a true english version.

Brian

1. // ZIP Drive on ST or Falcon

No. There's no way to do that because of Atari's particular parallel port
(on STs and Falcons).

You will need a SCSI Zip drive and an ACSI/SCSI host adapter *with parity*
such as Link'96 or The Link II, plus driver software.

Nick

--
Nicholas Bales  /                             Atari STE 2Mb - TOS2.05
Toulouse       /                   Compiler of the Atari ST Quick FAQ

2. concatenating in uicontrol

3. Zip drive on ST?

4. Selecting Message by size

5. zip drive on st?

6. Access 2 database residing on SBS

7. Zip drives and ST

8. Windows 2000 back up "unrecognized media"

9. Q: ZIP drive on ST...what do I need?

10. Need a Hard drive/zip drive/drivers for 1040ste

11. Using a zip drive with an ST

12. Zip parallel Drive on a 1040 ST ???