Blood Money and floppy drive speed

Post by Z46482 » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 06:36:00

Hello all,

    I read on the net that drive speed can have an effect on * Money,
the real version, not the magazine version.  Using QuickIndex 15, I noticed
that my RPM was constantly at 301.  Surely * Money couldn't be thrown
by THAT?!
    Well, it was.  I took the drive apart and tried to lower the rpm with
the potentiometer inside of the drive but * Money seemed to not
notice anything.  I checked the drive's speed qith QuickIndex15 again.
Drive rpm still hovered at 301.  I guess the pot has a VERY limited
range.
    To test things further, I temporarily replaced the drive (Mega computer,
by the way) with an old wheezing Epson mechansim (rattles, bangs, and
thrashes).  Weeeeelll, it booted up * Money just fine.
    I returned the original drive and decided to fool around with the
idea of placing some sort of weight on the flywheel.  Using SuperGlue and
a dime, I glued the dime to one side of the flywheel's center.  After only
a few minutes of potentiometer adjustment, I was able to get the drive
down to 300rpm!!!  For confirmation, I snapped the dime back off and
tried to adjust again.  Nope, I never was able to get the rpm rating down
to 300.  Regluing the dime onto the flywheel restored the 300rpm speed.
    * Money now boots fine.
    Ok, well, that is fine and good, but I'd have preferred an 'electronic'
method.  If anyone can suggest another means of correction that is less of
a hack, let me know.  Also, can the dime's weight cause undue wear on the
flywheel?

Blood Money and floppy drive speed

Post by L.J.Dick » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 14:20:00

 writes about his experiments with his disk drive.

 |       I took the drive apart and tried to lower the rpm with
 | the potentiometer inside of the drive but * Money seemed to not
 | notice anything.  I checked the drive's speed qith QuickIndex15 again.
 | Drive rpm still hovered at 301.

 |     ... I glued the dime to one side of the flywheel's center.
and asks:
 |    ... , can the dime's weight cause undue wear on the flywheel?

It would be a big surprise to find any wear on the flywheel itself. (smile).

I would worry about wear on the bearings if the weight is off center.
If it is off center, I would try to balance the it on the flywheel,
with say, a second weight glued at a diametrically opposite point.

--
    L. J.*ey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.

1. BLOOD MONEY JUST WON'T LOAD...

Hello folks,

    We've tried two real issues of Blood Money on three different
ST's, a Mega2, 1040st, and 520st upgraded to a two megs.  Both
Blood Money products will not boot on any of these STs.
    During bootup attempts, we get a screen that goes to black, the
drive whirrs and bumps, and then the screen goes to white.  Afterwards,
the computer is reset.
    Incidentally, Xenon2 boots perfectly.  An earlier report on this
end stating problems with Xenon was a hardware problem.
    Can anyone comment on Blood Money.  It was purchased as a result
of using the Blood Money game included in a European magazine.  Gotta
have it but we can't get the two bought copies to work!!!!

2. Space between shared borders & content

3. Blood Money on STE?

4. ATT: Lee Francke

5. Floppy drive speed

6. Opening file with no messages

7. SPEED CONTROL FOR FLOPPY DRIVES

8. FaxServe 3.01a upgrade hangs server

9. How do you adjust floppy drive speed?

10. Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

11. Floppy drive rigged to external floppy port?

12. Mitsumi Floppy Drive-replacement 1040ST drive

13. Looking for modem, floppy drive and hard drive