BlackBox Issue

Post by James E. Ki » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 04:41:31

While using my BlackBox today, I tried to connect my modem via the
port on the left side (pin 1 facing down toward the computer), and was
unable to get signal.

When I tried to load RS232.COM (from SDX 4.22), I got an error saying
it couldnt load the handler.

The cable is good, as I was just using it last go around.

I've also confirmed the dip switch settings and the internal software
changeable PORT settings.

Any suggestions appreciated.

BlackBox Issue

Post by Le » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:57:07

Quote:> While using my BlackBox today, I tried to connect my modem via the
> port on the left side (pin 1 facing down toward the computer), and was
> unable to get signal.

> When I tried to load RS232.COM (from SDX 4.22), I got an error saying
> it couldnt load the handler.

> The cable is good, as I was just using it last go around.

> I've also confirmed the dip switch settings and the internal software
> changeable PORT settings.

> Any suggestions appreciated.

Due to non-use and a very sloppy desk, I once had to replace both 1489
chips next to the modem port.  Appearently, a screwdriver or some such
shorted things in the area and wiped out the two modem driver chips.  I
changed out everything I could think of but joy only came with those
two chips.

I assume 'the internal software changeable PORT settings' means you've
turned on the modem port via the Menu and then saved your configuration?

BlackBox Issue

Post by James E. Ki » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 02:35:08

Quote:> Due to non-use and a very sloppy desk, I once had to replace both 1489
> chips next to the modem port.  Appearently, a screwdriver or some such
> shorted things in the area and wiped out the two modem driver chips.  I
> changed out everything I could think of but joy only came with those
> two chips.

> I assume 'the internal software changeable PORT settings' means you've
> turned on the modem port via the Menu and then saved your configuration?

Well, I verified the Blackbox is good, as I can connect via NULLMODEM
cable to my PC and exchange text and files just fine.  I can also
connect my PC to the modem on my 8bit Atari (Hayes Ultra 9600 v.32),
and it works just fine too.

But, once I try to connect the BlackBox (using same cable in NULLMODEM
test), to the modem, the modem doesn't even bring up TR.  The only
lights on are: MR and HS.

If the BB works via NULLMODEM to my PC (just connected a null adapter
to end of BB's serial cable), then why won't it work on the actual
modem (without the NULL adapter)???

BlackBox Issue

Post by Russ Gilber » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:39:43

The modem and the A8 aren't talking to each other.
I don't know the BB, but you want to set it for
the highest speed.  I guess you're using BobTerm.
You might try changing the rate in BobTerm
up and down, in ASCII mode, going to term mode
and keep typing AT RETURN, hoping for
an OK.
Then you should make some AT commands to
the modem to turn off compression, and slow the
speed of the modem.
AT&Q0 should turn require DTE and DCE to
be the same, I found this helps, but maybe not
so important.
AT%M0 turns off compression.
AT&K0 turns off flow control.
Probably the most important is to set the modem
baud rate.
ATS37=8   sets 4800 baud (I don't recommend
9600, at least til you get it talking.)
ATN0 forces the modem to use the baud rate
set in S37.
You can reset the modem to factory defaults with
ATZ0.
There are lots of modem commands, it gets confusing.
Russg

BlackBox Issue

Post by James E. Ki » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 00:09:28

Quote:> Then you should make some AT commands to
> the modem to turn off compression, and slow the
> speed of the modem.

Unfortunately, I can't get the modem to come up TR, which in turn
doesnt allow me to issue AT commands to the modem.  If I disconnect
the modem and connect to the PC, TR comes up instantly, and I can
enter AT commands.

BlackBox Issue

Post by Russ Gilber » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 02:19:02

The TR is a line on the port.  I'm not good at
serial port programming, the following is from
reading Bob Puff's documentation on the BB from
his website (I'm sure you know where it is.)
If you enter the following from BASIC, it should
turn the TR light on.  If so, then the software you're
using, and/or the settings on the BB aren't set
right or something.
10 CLOSE #1
20 OPEN #1,13,0,"R:":REM THE BB AUTOMATICALLY LOADS THE R: HANDLER ON RESET
AND AT BOOT TIME.
30 XIO 40,#1,0,0,"R:":REM SET CONCURRENT
40 XIO 36,#1,15,0,"R:":REM SET TO 19200 BAUD
50 XIO 34,#1,192,0,"R:":TURN TR LINE ON
60 GOTO 60:REM BE SURE TO CLOSE #1 AFTER YOU BREAK OUT OF THIS

There's something going on with the modem.  Try a 2400 baud modem and see
that it works, this'll eliminate that you have a problem with the BB port or
software.
There's a simple BASIC program after the above to
allow getting and putting characters to the modem, ie. you could type AT
commands from it.  It gets a STATUS and if there's a char in the buffer, you
can GET it.
Russg

1. New eBay auction - 13 issues of Atari Classics inc. Issue 1 + other stuff

Hello All,

Just started a new eBay auction for 13 issues of Atari Classics magazine,
including the first issue. I still have other various Atari items on eBay,
which are due to end soon including the manual for the rare Victagraph
system for the 1020 plotter, DOS3 manuals, PAL TV cable, 'Dice Poker' APX
tape, along with some other items of interest. The link is below (this will
split on to two lines, so please copy both lines into your browser):

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=...
raghty

Dean Garraghty

2. Kondolenzliste zum Terrorakt gegen die USA

3. WTB ST Format Issue 25 and issue 27 cover disk

4. Samba 2.02 for HP-UX 10.01

5. Blackbox revisited

6. Will Indigo2 R4k cpu work in Indy?

7. Blackbox foto's on site

8. Test 2

9. BBXFER 1.8 source AVAILABLE NOW (BlackBox/Floppyboard utility)

10. BlackBox/Floppyboard

11. blackbox, multi i/o

12. Blackbox / CDROM?