040 accelerators

Post by Tommi Pekka Hietav » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

I just browsed a Mac World magazine (they really fear Windows 95, it
seems - so maybe 95 isn't crap, after all..), and saw something pretty
disturbing.

It seems like you can have 68040 accelerators to Mac for as low as $300
(LC-version) !  Even full-sized 25..33 MHz 040 cards for Mac cost only
$400..$600.

Which raises one question:

WHY does Barracuda-040 cost twice as much ..?
and WHY does German Afterburner-040 cost 1500 DM (about as much)..???

If this pricing strategy goes on, I may finally decide to agree with
Mac-folks, and change the wagon.  Owning an Atari should *not* mean
paying twice too much for everything, IMHO >=-( !!!

I also read that the accelerator market for Mac (68000-series) is
declining fast, as people move to PPC.  So, if they can sell 040s for
$400, for example, I'd think a Falcon-accelerator might cost $600 at
most!  Something is wrong here...  And it hurts us all.

TH

040 accelerators

Post by Steve Fou » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

[...]

I have recently bought an Apple Performa 475, (68040), 200MB HD, 20MB
RAM and double speed CD-ROM for around 1200 pounds sterling. ( is that
around $1000 ). The equivalent Atari system ( if there is such a thing )
would have cost me a lot more. I already have a Falcon030 which I paid
1000 pounds for ( about 2 years ago ), the Barracuda or Afterburner would
put the price beyond the Apple anyway without even looking at the extra
hard-disk space, RAM and CD-Rom.

The Falcon is WAY to expensive for todays market ....  Would you really
buy one now when you could get a Mac or Pentium for the same money. ?

I intend to use MagicMac on the Apple ( to preserve my Software base )
and ditch the Falcon some time soon.

040 accelerators

Post by Tommi Pekka Hietav » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

: I have recently bought an Apple Performa 475, (68040), 200MB HD, 20MB
: RAM and double speed CD-ROM for around 1200 pounds sterling. ( is that
: around $1000 ). The equivalent Atari system ( if there is such a thing )
: would have cost me a lot more. I already have a Falcon030 which I paid
: 1000 pounds for ( about 2 years ago ), the Barracuda or Afterburner would
: put the price beyond the Apple anyway without even looking at the extra
: hard-disk space, RAM and CD-Rom.

<sigh>  Macs really seem to occupy this message area, perhaps because of
people getting Macs with MagiCMac...  And I've noticed that those who do,
aren't generally very happy with "real" Atari computers.  But you make
some good points, there's no denying that.

: The Falcon is WAY to expensive for todays market ....  Would you really
: buy one now when you could get a Mac or Pentium for the same money. ?

For the hundredth time: yes, if I need one.  And I do.  If I wanted a
cheap computer, I'd buy a PC - or even a Mac, period.  But if I want
more, I have to pay more.  What "more"?  More fun, more audio
capatibilities, more satisfying working environment.

As P.Saarinen wrote recently, for some of us, computers are not "just
computers" - and you take whichever is the fastest or cheapest.  They all
have that special "aura" around them.  And that's what often decides,
whether you're going to enjoy working with your computer, or not.

For some of us, those Pentiums and Macs are just not alternatives to
Falcon - no matter how cheap ther become...  Sometimes you know what you
want, and get that.  Sometimes that "something" is Falcon, sometimes Mac.

: I intend to use MagicMac on the Apple ( to preserve my Software base )
: and ditch the Falcon some time soon.

Well, it's nice to hear that you will continue using Atari software. I
wonder, whether we should get a new message ares: comp.sys.mac.magicmac ?

Would that be useful to you, or anyone?

TH

040 accelerators

Post by michael grov » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

> : I just browsed a Mac World magazine (they really fear Windows 95, it
> : seems - so maybe 95 isn't crap, after all..), and saw something pretty
> : disturbing.

> : It seems like you can have 68040 accelerators to Mac for as low as $300
> : (LC-version) !  Even full-sized 25..33 MHz 040 cards for Mac cost only
> : $400..$600.

> : Which raises one question:

> : WHY does Barracuda-040 cost twice as much ..?
> : and WHY does German Afterburner-040 cost 1500 DM (about as much)..???

> : If this pricing strategy goes on, I may finally decide to agree with
> : Mac-folks, and change the wagon.  Owning an Atari should *not* mean
> : paying twice too much for everything, IMHO >=-( !!!

> : I also read that the accelerator market for Mac (68000-series) is
> : declining fast, as people move to PPC.  So, if they can sell 040s for
> : $400, for example, I'd think a Falcon-accelerator might cost $600 at
> : most!  Something is wrong here...  And it hurts us all.

> : TH

> I have recently bought an Apple Performa 475, (68040), 200MB HD, 20MB
> RAM and double speed CD-ROM for around 1200 pounds sterling. ( is that
> around $1000 ). The equivalent Atari system ( if there is such a thing )
> would have cost me a lot more. I already have a Falcon030 which I paid
> 1000 pounds for ( about 2 years ago ), the Barracuda or Afterburner would
> put the price beyond the Apple anyway without even looking at the extra
> hard-disk space, RAM and CD-Rom.

> The Falcon is WAY to expensive for todays market ....  Would you really
> buy one now when you could get a Mac or Pentium for the same money. ?

> I intend to use MagicMac on the Apple ( to preserve my Software base )
> and ditch the Falcon some time soon.

Boy, did you get took. I just purchased a Quadra 630, 250 meg HD, 4
meg of ram (which didn't run anything but Quick Mail) and a very slow
system 7.something for 1000.00 U.S. from Government Services Agency
( I work for the Navy, Civil Service). It was bright and shiny at
first, but wait until you start trying to do with it what you
did with the Falcon, providing you can afford the software. Even
the 040 seems slow while decompressing .Tiff's and .Jpg's. Sure, its
a little faster but not enough for me to run out an get one for
home use. Mabey, MagicC Mac will only keep you yearning for your
Falcon when you try to run Apex Media. Oh, and don't forget a lot
of the "old" ST software that we all love is 'specialized" and
probably give you fits running under a system in a system, or
whatever. I'm sure that its is a great piece of software, most
commercial Atari software is,(most shareware too) and probably
the cheapest thing you'll buy for you Mac. I also have a
Intel Pentium 90 with 16 megs of ram (it needs more)(the Qudra has 32)
for two reasons. Auto Cad and Z-Max Optical design software.
The processor rips through the thousands (millions?) of numbers
in no time. But I don't use Auto Cad at home, I use (or will purchase)
Lexicors fine products (I think I can buy their entire line
and the Baracuda for the price of Auto Cad R13) and Apex Media.
(Don't forget the Baracuda's Video Funnel and SOB (DOS) emmu).
Sure, the Intel machines are cheap and faster than Dave Smalls
assembler in TT-Ram, but..... get one and set it
up, video, midi, com ports, dos (sob?), windoez (:(), the list
goes on. The botton line is you are what you use. The users in this
area are interested in THEIR Ataris and not your Mac's or PC's. Take
them and your comments to those groups, or even the Jag area, there
is plenty of flame there for you people. This isn't personal, I
drive Chevy's while you probably drive a Ford, I race Kawasakis
and you probably race Hondas, but lets talk about it elsewhere.

:)

Mike.

040 accelerators

Post by xiti » Sun, 14 May 1995 04:00:00

[...]

        Well, I use a Falcon 14/84/340/NEC3Xe/(soon Speed Res) at home, a 4/16/
240 TT (soon to be CaTTamaraned) and a '486DX2-80 16/240 at work, and have
messed with my boss's Performa 475 (read: LCIII 475, what a rip off!), and the
Performa's a joke! My Falcon with NVDI is about as fast as the Mac, my TT is
about as fast/soon to be faster than the '486. No thanks, the buzzwords of the
computer industry don't impress me. You can throw all the Megabytes and Mega-
hertz you want at an OS, but if it sucks, it sucks. They just aren't as
efficient as TOS/GEM (a truly integrated graphical environment).

BTW, try to get 800*600 on that Performa. Baa-haa-haa!!! Going for 1024*768
with the 40 MHz Speed Resolution Card for about $300-350. Already got 800*600.
True Color on a Performa? Yeah, riight. If there are any F030 owners interested
in an affordable upgrade to 2-2.5X F030 speed (faster than a stock TT) with

                                                Dan
: TH

040 accelerators

Post by sinclap2.. » Sun, 14 May 1995 04:00:00

> : I just browsed a Mac World magazine (they really fear Windows 95, it
> : seems - so maybe 95 isn't crap, after all..), and saw something pretty
> : disturbing.

> : It seems like you can have 68040 accelerators to Mac for as low as $300
> : (LC-version) !  Even full-sized 25..33 MHz 040 cards for Mac cost only
> : $400..$600.

> : Which raises one question:

> : WHY does Barracuda-040 cost twice as much ..?
> : and WHY does German Afterburner-040 cost 1500 DM (about as much)..???

> : If this pricing strategy goes on, I may finally decide to agree with
> : Mac-folks, and change the wagon.  Owning an Atari should *not* mean
> : paying twice too much for everything, IMHO >=-( !!!

> : I also read that the accelerator market for Mac (68000-series) is
> : declining fast, as people move to PPC.  So, if they can sell 040s for
> : $400, for example, I'd think a Falcon-accelerator might cost $600 at
> : most!  Something is wrong here...  And it hurts us all.

>    Well, I use a Falcon 14/84/340/NEC3Xe/(soon Speed Res) at home, a 4/16/
> 240 TT (soon to be CaTTamaraned) and a '486DX2-80 16/240 at work, and have
> messed with my boss's Performa 475 (read: LCIII 475, what a rip off!), and the
> Performa's a joke! My Falcon with NVDI is about as fast as the Mac, my TT is
> about as fast/soon to be faster than the '486. No thanks, the buzzwords of the
> computer industry don't impress me. You can throw all the Megabytes and Mega-
> hertz you want at an OS, but if it sucks, it sucks. They just aren't as
> efficient as TOS/GEM (a truly integrated graphical environment).

Tos/Gem is a pathetic JOKE!  GET OVER IT!  System 7 has more features and
functionality and is constantly being improved on.  When was the last time
Atari updated the OS? Oh, Atari is out of the computer market.  Real users
value apps and the Atari OS is not impressive.

> BTW, try to get 800*600 on that Performa. Baa-haa-haa!!! Going for 1024*768
> with the 40 MHz Speed Resolution Card for about $300-350. Already got 800*600.
> True Color on a Performa? Yeah, riight. If there are any F030 owners interested
> in an affordable upgrade to 2-2.5X F030 speed (faster than a stock TT) with

Which Performa are you talking about?  The Performa PowerMac makes your Atari
look like the Atari 8 bit OS and Geos!!GET OVER IT!

Quote:>                                            Dan
> : TH

                                     =  Lightwave on the Powermac is the
   Peter Sinclair-Day                =   final nail in the coffin for the
The University of Northern Iowa      =  Amiga's usefulness.  There will be
   Cedar Falls, IA. 50613            =  no comeback, unless RISC is adopted
                                     =  and prices are competitive!!

"Peter Sinclair, you are a tosspot; you are a *er; you are a very tiny piece
of turd."
            - Atari's Jeff Minter

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - For the latest MAC & PC news....

040 accelerators

Post by Magnus Kollbe » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

In a message sinclap2954  wrote to All

 s> Tos/Gem is a pathetic JOKE!  GET OVER IT!  System 7 has more features
 s> and functionality and is constantly being improved on.  When was the last
 s> time Atari updated the OS? Oh, Atari is out of the computer market.  Real
 s> users value apps and the Atari OS is not impressive.

Is this not in the wrong area?

I'm starting to get tired of hearing your stupied nonsense talk!!

Shut up!

Magnus Kollberg

( UUCP Dialup connection )

040 accelerators

Post by Thorsten Guenth » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

>Tos/Gem is a pathetic JOKE!  GET OVER IT!  System 7 has more features and
>functionality and is constantly being improved on.

...andf getting slower and slower and slower during the process. Have you
bothere installing System _6_ on an 840AV?

Quote:>When was the last time
>Atari updated the OS?

Last month or so. MiNT 1.12h3 is the recent version, AFAIK.

Quote:>Oh, Atari is out of the computer market.  Real users
>value apps and the Atari OS is not impressive.

It's preemptive, close to POSIX standards and much faster than MacOS.

Quote:>Which Performa are you talking about?  The Performa PowerMac makes your Atari
>look like the Atari 8 bit OS and Geos!!GET OVER IT!

Yes? My 8 meg TT w/WinX in ROM and 1 meg video board beats every Performa
in terms of operability. Not to mention that the only WYSIWYG DTP program
runs on Atari compatible OSes.

Thorsten

--

--------------------------------------------------------------- /
- In the sky a mighty eagle doesn't care about what's illegal - \_

040 accelerators

Post by Christer Gustavsso » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

>=20
> >Not to mention that the only WYSIWYG DTP program
> >runs on Atari compatible OSes.
> What the hell are you talking about?

It could be that when I write a document in Frame Maker at the=20
University, what I se on the screen is far from what I get when I make a=20
paper copy.

Regards, Christer.
---

| University | SNAIL:  Christer Gustavsson    |  earning my second   |
|     of     |         Hasselvagen 6          |  million. The first  |
| Technology |         S-430 91 H=D6N=D6          |  one failed."        |

040 accelerators

Post by Tom Thomas » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

On 14 May 95, sinclap2954  shot this through the ether to All ...

 s> Which Performa are you talking about?  The Performa PowerMac makes your
 s> Atari look like the Atari 8 bit OS and Geos!!GET OVER IT!
 >> Dan
 >> : TH

  I don't usually bother to write replies to these idiotic flame messages
but there are a couple of points to be made here.

  Since this area is intended for Atari users who are perfectly satisfied
  with
their machines (as you make it abundantly obvious as you are with your Mac,
which I might point out I'm not overly fond of) why the hell do you bother to
come in here to brag about your machine. WE AREN'T INTERESTED in your juvenile
comments. If you want to discuss the pro's and con's in a polite manner, I'd
assume you're welcome to stay but, if you haven't got anything _constructive_
to add to the conversation why don't you ride off into the sunset.

  I've been quietly following your thread for a while now and it sounds to
me like you're trying to overcompensate for some feeling of inadequacy. Please
do this somewhere else. Why don't you wander over into that big cornfield next
to your school, pick a nice fresh ear of corn, sit and contemplate where you
can stick it!!

  That's the last you'll hear from me.

Tom

( UUCP Dialup connection )

040 accelerators

Post by CALLUM LERWI » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

In message #863, Thorsten Guenther writes:

Quote:> ...andf getting slower and slower and slower during the process. Have you
> bothere installing System _6_ on an 840AV?

You can't, all new machines require* system 7!
 -----------------------------  -//-  ----------------------------

| note: the views expressed by this user are strictly his/her own.|
| the FlightLine bbs 612.544.5118 uucp gateway / aviation resource|
 -----------------------------  -//-  ----------------------------

040 accelerators

Post by Thorsten Guenth » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

>>Not to mention that the only WYSIWYG DTP program
>>runs on Atari compatible OSes.
>What the hell are you talking about?

WYSISWYG means 'what you see is what you get'.

Postscript means: what you get is most times closely related to what you
have seen.

Thorsten

--

--------------------------------------------------------------- /

Post by David Stevens » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

>>What the hell are you talking about?
>WYSISWYG means 'what you see is what you get'.

Yes, I know that.  I was querying the statement that it's only available
on Atari.

--

"You're going to win nothing" - PessiMystic Meg.

    The above article is the personal view of the poster and should not be
       considered as an official comment from the JET Joint Undertaking

040 accelerators

Post by Kim Anders » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

>On 14 May 95, sinclap2954  shot this through the ether to All ...

> s> Which Performa are you talking about?  The Performa PowerMac makes your
> s> Atari look like the Atari 8 bit OS and Geos!!GET OVER IT!
> >> Dan
> >> : TH

>  I don't usually bother to write replies to these idiotic flame messages
>but there are a couple of points to be made here.

>  Since this area is intended for Atari users who are perfectly satisfied
>  with
>their machines (as you make it abundantly obvious as you are with your Mac,
>which I might point out I'm not overly fond of) why the hell do you bother to
>come in here to brag about your machine. WE AREN'T INTERESTED in your juvenile
>comments. If you want to discuss the pro's and con's in a polite manner, I'd
>assume you're welcome to stay but, if you haven't got anything _constructive_
>to add to the conversation why don't you ride off into the sunset.

No need to tell him this Tom. He is just an idiot who want to have some fun.
He got no idea what he is talking about, and insted of trying to learn, (which
i doubt he can), he just through away stupid comments. Ignore him insted, as
it'll probably be better for the rest of us. He is simply not worth it.

He tried to annoy us in the technical area a while ago as well. I guess he's
tired of this, and now tries this area. Some day he'll grow up, (hopefully!).

Greets
Kim

040 accelerators

Post by Kim Anders » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>In a message sinclap2954  wrote to All

> s> Tos/Gem is a pathetic JOKE!  GET OVER IT!  System 7 has more features
> s> and functionality and is constantly being improved on.  When was the last
> s> time Atari updated the OS? Oh, Atari is out of the computer market.  Real
> s> users value apps and the Atari OS is not impressive.

>Is this not in the wrong area?

>I'm starting to get tired of hearing your stupied nonsense talk!!

Then ignore him insted of answering him. Thats what he want you all to do.
He is so stupid that none of us would really bother writing anything to him.
He is so spoiled that he wouldn't know the difference between left and right,
or perhaps Mac and Atari. It's not worth it.

Quote:

>Shut up!

Exactly what he'd hope you would say! Don't!

Greets
Kim

1. 040-accelerators for Falcon

Does anyone have any specs for the Baracuda or the Afterburner?
According to my dealer the Baracuda will ship from mid December, but
before shelling out 1300USD I would like some more info.

How do I get in contact with the makers of the Baracuda? Phone, email?

2. Checkpoint + W2K Active directory LDAP

3. 040 Accelerators (Was: Magic for Falcon)

4. "rdp-tcp lisntener is down (65536)

5. 040 accelerators (was: magic for falcon)

6. SCSI fast OK on 3000?

7. 040 Accelerators (Was

8. Verkaufe: Stetson Hard-Cover

9. Must find a fast 040 and scsi controller for 1200!!

10. I need a 3.5 IDE cable, 040 and SCSI driver for my 1200!

11. Milan 040 or 060

12. adverts for barracuda 040 in French ST MAGAZINE

13. Afterburner 040 info needed.