Brilliant ST game

Post by Richard Marsd » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 00:48:18

There's a distinct lack of top ST games around just now, so I was more
than pleased to download Manic Minefield from umich!
It's great! Sampled sound and music, and a topgame to boot!
And it rt runs on a 520 too!

Why aren't more shareware games like this?
My cash is in the post!

Does anyone know of any more games by the same guy?

Rich.

p.s. it's called manic.zip and it's in the games directory of the umich
archive, anticipating the posts which will follow asking where to get it!
:)

Brilliant ST game

Post by Ari Feldma » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 08:44:39

>Why aren't more shareware games like this?
>My cash is in the post!

Well, I'll tell you why...

Atari users tend to take shareware for granted and don't register for it.
I know I've been guilty of that (but I've changed and started to) and I
know plenty of other people have when I worked on some ST shareware games.

Case in point: Insectroid - it's a decent game for only $10 (plus lots of
extra stuff).  It went out on the MArch '93 ST Format cover disk and
and only a handful registered for it.

Don't bother registering for it now though...the author and I have had a falling
out and he won't split any money received.

Still, I'm glad you did register for that game.  Hopefully, enough will think
alike and keep the author from leaving the platform like I have.

Ari

Brilliant ST game

Post by Hutc » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 00:44:04

>>Why aren't more shareware games like this?
>>My cash is in the post!

>Well, I'll tell you why...

>Atari users tend to take shareware for granted and don't register for it.
>I know I've been guilty of that (but I've changed and started to) and I
>know plenty of other people have when I worked on some ST shareware games.

People have to come to the understanding that not paying for shareware
that they keep and regularly use is just another form of software piracy.
To be fair, I really doubt if Atarians are any worse, percentage wise,
about not paying for shareware that they regularly use. Very few folks
actually register (pay for) their shareware on any platform.

But the installed user base of Atari computers is soooo small compared
to other platforms, it amplifies the problem. The PC base (and the Mac,
to an extent) is so HUGE compared to Atari, that shareware authors can
get by on an even smaller percentage of paying users. True, there is a
lot more software competing for those sparce shareware dollars, but the
_potential_ for making money in PC or Mac shareware exists; I would not
make the same claim for the Atari market.

To paraphrase a popular colloquialism...

        "It's the MARKET, stupid!" :)

Cheers,

1. Imagecopy 4 CD: just brilliant

Just a quick message to say thanks to those Atarians who pointed me in the
direction of Imagecopy 4 CD.

It's just an ammazing piece of software:-)

I like the Thumbnail option....just like on the mac or pc!

It's pretty fast too....

Now all I need is a Falcon and SVGA monitor to see it working at it's full
potential.

Still I shall find using it a pleasure...Thanks for the pointer

Robert D Stead

    *   http://www.bertste.demon.co.uk/    *  PGP KEY BY    *
    *                                      *   REQUEST      *
    *              STE                     *                *

2. Applying external stylesheets to multiple documents

3. ST game cheat program for over 100 games - FREEWARE/EMAILWARE

4. Two Cisco 2511. How?

5. video games (atari st, genesis, snes, game gear, gameboy, atari 8bit)

6. Non-connections with Megahertz modems/Shiva Remote Access switch/Win96

7. Games Games Games

8. High performance systems

9. Games, Games, Games ???

10. ma-ST-o-don't - 25 new ATARI ST games

11. ma-ST-o-don't - new ATARI ST games

12. Atari ST games to a real ST