Problem formatting a QUANTUM 210 MB

Post by Roland Prajoux,94,63 » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I recently acquired a used hard disk QUANTUM ProDrive 210S to put INTO
my MegaSTE.
I configured it as device 0 and parity disabled.
Using HDX 5.04 I tried to format it and failed. HDX recognized the disk
correctly, but refused to format, giving a message like "Can't do
formatting. Check connections......"
I was about to give up when I got the idea to try accessing the disk.
It worked. I could read and write with no problem. So I discovered that
the disk was divided into 2 AHDI-compatible partitions of 104,472 MB each.
Then, I tried to re-partition and failed with "This disk was formatted
using a previous version of HDX. Please reformat." This, I can understand.

So, these are my questions:

(1) Does anyone has an idea of what could prevent that disk to be
formatted, while allowing to read and write?
I suspected a jumper named SS (spindle sync) but it has nothing to do
with the problem. Perhaps another jumper? (there are also jumpers
C0, C1, P0), or whatever?

(2) I have seen that SCSI terminating resistors are mounted on the disk,
while there is none on the original 44MB because they seem to be mounted
directly on the internal adapter of the MegaSTE. Should I remove the
resistor on the disk, fearing an overload of SCSI lines, i.e. a danger
of random data corruption?

I would be grateful for any help on the subject. Thank you.

Roland Prajoux

Post by Claus Bro » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> (1) Does anyone has an idea of what could prevent that disk to be
> formatted, while allowing to read and write?

Yes: HDX 8-) I guess HDX just doesn't grok your Quantum drive.
Use a different formatter. Oh, and by the way: Why would you
want to *format* the drive - you don't have to do that to install
a driver or to partition the drive.

Quote:> I suspected a jumper named SS (spindle sync) but it has nothing to do
> with the problem. Perhaps another jumper? (there are also jumpers
> C0, C1, P0), or whatever?

Common jumper-related problems are parity, reset-messages from the drive,
or arbitration. Since you can read and write, parity seems to be
configured just fine, and this probably also rules out problems with
arbitration. Reset messages are only harmful if you want
to boot from this drive, they don't keep you from formatting.

  Claus Brod, MDD, HP Boeblingen    Have you hugged your manager today?
--#include <std_disclaimer>---------http://hpbmdd28.bbn.hp.com/~clausb --
   Explicit permission required for distribution in Microsoft Network.

Post by Theodore L Hopm » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I recently acquired a used hard disk QUANTUM ProDrive 210S to put INTO
: my MegaSTE.
: I configured it as device 0 and parity disabled.
: Using HDX 5.04 I tried to format it and failed. HDX recognized the disk
: correctly, but refused to format, giving a message like "Can't do
: formatting. Check connections......"
: I was about to give up when I got the idea to try accessing the disk.
: It worked. I could read and write with no problem. So I discovered that
: the disk was divided into 2 AHDI-compatible partitions of 104,472 MB each.
: Then, I tried to re-partition and failed with "This disk was formatted
: using a previous version of HDX. Please reformat." This, I can understand.
I seem to recall having exactly this problem on my TT when trying to
format my Maxtor 340S. I thought the problem was HDX, so I bought the ICD
Pro utils, a good move in any case.
: So, these are my questions:

: (1) Does anyone has an idea of what could prevent that disk to be
: formatted, while allowing to read and write?
: I suspected a jumper named SS (spindle sync) but it has nothing to do
: with the problem. Perhaps another jumper? (there are also jumpers
: C0, C1, P0), or whatever?
Can't help you there...
: (2) I have seen that SCSI terminating resistors are mounted on the disk,
: while there is none on the original 44MB because they seem to be mounted
: directly on the internal adapter of the MegaSTE. Should I remove the
: resistor on the disk, fearing an overload of SCSI lines, i.e. a danger
: of random data corruption?
The prevailing rule for SCSI termination is: If it works, it's right. As
I mentioned, I originally thought that the problem was HDX. It turned out
that ICD's Pro utils didn't solve the problem either. I tried removing
(or replacing (it's been a while)) the terminating resistors, and the
problem solved itself.

THeo

1. TKa Atari Mega Ste 4MB met 210 Mb Harddisk

Te koop aangeboden t.e.a.b:

Atari computer Mega STE4 met 4 Mb geheugen,
Quantum PD 210 S harde schijf, 16 Mhz processor,
Monitor zw/w SM 124 , keyboard en muis.
Veel programmas en handleidingen
In werking te zien.

eveneens aangeboden t.e.a.b:
Girotel modem 2400 baud t.e.a.b. en
Pkt (pocket) 14K4 fax modem t.e.a.b
Sicos 2000 fax, opying OCR and scanning apparaat zw/w.compleet f. 25,-

Tel 0181- 614 369

Gaarne reacties
Wim

2. New Today plugins!

3. TT-Ram SENSATION !!! (MB MB MB MB MB MB (64MB !!))

4. cable modeling: info needed

5. Printer Driver: Calamus SL > Cannon BJC-210

6. Locating the Task Bar/Start Bar from inside an app...

7. NEC CDROM 210

8. Connect 210

9. vendo Mega STE 4/210 con Vortex 386 SX

10. COMA 210 FTP..

11. Canon BLC-210 Bubble Jet...

12. Atari Mega STE 4/210