ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

Post by Stephen Mulri » Mon, 02 May 1994 09:15:19

ST Review this month published an open letter to ST Format, challenging the
latter magazine over some of its claims.  ST Format says it has around 80
editorial pages per month, but this figure can only be achieved by including
subscripion offers and adverti*ts for other Future magazines.

As far as I am concerned, it's high time somebody put the boot in.  None of
my coder friends had liked ST Format, although I had always thought it was
the best of the three ST magazines generally available in the UK.  Then I
bought the May 1994 issue.  I may be alone in finding Paula Richards'
comparison of piracy to* rather staggering, but they surely set new
standards for insulting readers' intelligence.

Their review of a CD-ROM packed with PD software lists as one of the
product's low points, "Needs a CD-ROM drive."  And they give one of the
"Lows" of PageAssistant - an accessory which provides on-line help for
PageStream - is "Only of use to PageStream users."  Pretty astounding.

And in the "least helpful answer ever" category, a reader who inquired as
to the purpose of C header files was told, "A header file warns the compiler
that there are functions and structures held within your program that have
not previously been defined."  Eh?

If it wasn't for Ed Ricketts' hilarious reviews, I would seriously consider
not buying this magazine any more.

ST User's May issue had a gratuitous picture of a girl in a bikini on the
front cover.  But enough of the good points.  "The original ST was based on
a Motorola 68000 chip running at 8MHz, but the STE doubled this speed to
16MHz" practically had me in spastic convulsions.  At least they don't
appear to be reviewing Amiga games this month, although some of the screen
shots in the preview of Premier Manager 2 looked a tad suspicious.

ST Review isn't exempt from criticism either.  One of the letters on the
"Ask The Experts" page, on the topic of computers supposedly capable of
millions of colours, ran thus: "I have been trying to see how many colours I
could think up but have only managed to come up with just 51 colours, shades
or tints.  These are: red, blue, buff, fawn, [..]."  They printed the entire
list!  Surely some judicious editing was called for..

Still, ST Review has, in my eyes, displaced ST Format as the best magazine
available, and probably did so several months ago although I didn't really
notice until now.  (ST Format still has the best design and layout of the
three.)

Ofir Gal's column about the Internet (in the May issue of ST Review) is also
one of the few entirely factual magazine articles I have read on the subject
- and a delightfully positive article at that.

Stephen

ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

Post by Ofir Ga » Mon, 02 May 1994 22:51:48

Quote:

>Ofir Gal's column about the Internet (in the May issue of ST Review) is also
>one of the few entirely factual magazine articles I have read on the subject
>- and a delightfully positive article at that.

Thanks you.

-------------------------------

-------------------------------

Post by R.A.Barne » Tue, 03 May 1994 03:15:20

>ST Review this month published an open letter to ST Format, challenging the
>latter magazine over some of its claims.

[...]

I couldn't believe it when I read that letter.  I thought ST Review was
above that sort of thing.  Takes me back to the old ST vs Amiga wars, or
even Speccy vs the rest of the world.

Quote:>If it wasn't for Ed Ricketts' hilarious reviews, I would seriously consider
>not buying this magazine any more.

Future Publishing mags are almost worth buying for the captions alone.  They
always crack me up.

[lots of examples of appalling journalism deleted :) ]

STR is definitely the best now in my opinion, almost a worthy successor for
ST World.  However, this month's is getting a little too much like ST User
for my liking.  I mean, that "Exclusive Exclusive Exclusive...." banner
across the top of the Bob Gleadow interview - Urgh!  Never, ever use that
font again please!

Richard.

Post by Stephen Mulri » Wed, 04 May 1994 15:53:45

+>Ofir Gal's column about the Internet (in the May issue of ST Review) is also
+>one of the few entirely factual magazine articles I have read on the subject
+>- and a delightfully positive article at that.
+Thanks you.

Don't mention it.  Credit where credit's due!  It certainly makes a change
from seeing the Internet take a regular pounding in poxy trade rag Computer
Weekly.

Stephen

Post by N.Jones-Rodw » Wed, 04 May 1994 22:49:22

>Still, ST Review has, in my eyes, displaced ST Format as the best magazine
>available, and probably did so several months ago although I didn't really
>notice until now.  (ST Format still has the best design and layout of the
>three.)

>Ofir Gal's column about the Internet (in the May issue of ST Review) is also
>one of the few entirely factual magazine articles I have read on the subject
>- and a delightfully positive article at that.

I agree. As a subscriber to ST Format (I have bought every issue!) I do think
it is getting too simple for my liking, not giving enough detail in the right
places - for instance their review of MultiTOS went into no depth at all.
Anyway, my sub is due for renewal in the next few months, and to be honest I
doubt I'll bother.

ST Review is much more of an informative read IMHO, much more suitable for
serious users (although all those photos of reviewers armed with soldering
irons do make me worry). The informal sections make a light, varied read
and make a decent break from the more serious stuff.

It's a pity that ST Format still sells more than the ST Review and ST User.
I have a feeling this might not be just down to the quality of the mags,
apart from WH Smiths (which stock all three mags), if you can find a shop
that sells any ST mags at all, you can bet it'll be ST Format.......

Ofir's article on the InterNet summed up the enthusiasm people have here -
I know that over Easter when I was ordering my Falcon I desperately wanted
to be able to get on the 'Net for advice! I'm gonna have to think seriously
about getting a modem for over the summer hols (BTW: Does anybody use a modem
as well as the Tabby? Do you switch leads all the time, or do you have a switch
box? And does the Tabby driver go mad when connected to a modem?).....

Neil.

--
Neil Jones-Rodway                                          UNIVERSITY OF KENT
Computer Science Student                                   At Canterbury ####

-----= All the views expressed are my own - I enjoy having an opinion ==-----

ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

Post by Daron Brewoo » Thu, 05 May 1994 04:19:30

Quote:>serious users (although all those photos of reviewers armed with soldering
>irons do make me worry). The informal sections make a light, varied read

Especially as they get the photo's the wrong way around!

=       .---.  Atari .----------- = Daron M. Brewood - NeST ZC  =
=      /     \  __  /    ------   = 7, Crescent Road, Portwood, =
=     / /     \(  )/    -----     = Stockport, Cheshire. SK1 2QG=
=    //////   ' \/ `   ---        = United Kingdom.             =
=   //// / // :    : ---          = Fax +44 (061) 429-9803      =

ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

Post by NORMAN S » Fri, 06 May 1994 21:03:45

May I comment that May edition of ST Format was utter Bol**cks, the reviews were very condeming, saying things that the "printer resolution is not that good, and there are no drivers for the printer", isnt that why the printer has got very good resolution!

--
                   Stephen Norman - Nogssoft Software

                      http://web.city.ac.uk/~cc103
         Treat Her Like A Lady And She'll Always Bring You Home

ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

Post by NORMAN S » Fri, 06 May 1994 21:07:08

I forget to add their comments about Calamus SL:
        "Calamus SL is a more menu driven than icon driven"
Surely they got that round the wrong way!!!!!!

--
                   Stephen Norman - Nogssoft Software

                      http://web.city.ac.uk/~cc103
         Treat Her Like A Lady And She'll Always Bring You Home

ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

Post by Douglas Byfie » Thu, 05 May 1994 04:09:23

Neil:you wondered about the possibility of using the Tabby and modem from the
same serial port? I don't know for sure, but couldn't you use a serial
printer switch box? Either an A/B box or an A/B/Y box. Does anyone know for
sure?

ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

Post by David Oakl » Wed, 18 May 1994 04:52:56

It's ver true that ST Format have a peculiar policy on what they review, esp.
PD stuff. Several things got less than 40% in the May ish., and there's
certainly quality stuff that could have gone in there instead. I've talked to
the DPL owners who put the stuff in... They're fuming and say that
they'll never send STF stuff again!!!!

Hurah to that...

David

--
    /\      ASTRAsoft shareware for the Atari ST
   /\ \     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. TW/DataManager ST vs. BaseTwo vs. SuperBase vs. dBMan vs. your fave

OK Folks.  I've decided I need a data base manager.  The bills for my thesis
need to be sorted out so that I can present them to my supervisor.  I figure
I can classify my wall board heaters by wattage.  And I really do need to
figure out how much I spend on kites during February (This is Canada
remember).

My wife thinks its another one of my shennagan's.  I almost believe her, but
then I see an ad for the latest in ST data base managers.  Organize your
life.  Never succumb to paper lists again.  This software is packed with
features!  Supports a monitor, left/right cursor movements, does automatic
linefeeds in a report!  You name it!  And then that gleam comes into my
eye.  They glaze over.  I feel the poetry of Moliere like when he so eruditely
discussed "vapours of the brain" in the play "A Doctor Inspite of Himself".
Suddenly, I am ready to exchange money for any package.

Please someone.  Anyone.  Help me out.  What's the low down on data base
managers for the ST?  I guess I need something with some analytical capabil-
ities.   I read a book on REFLEX for the IBM.  This sounded like a neat
product.  Is there something out there like this for the ST?

adTHANKSvance

pavneet arora

2. New Software Download Site

3. c64 vs CPC vs Speccy vs Atari vs Whatever

4. Does anyone know the command switchs for Split

5. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

6. CGMP and PIM

7. Wanted: ST BASIC, True vs Hisoft vs GFA 2 or others?

8. Acornet&Wavenet configuration file?!

9. Mac vs. Amiga (vs. ST)

10. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs

11. ST User - gone! (was: Re: ST Review - gone!)

12. User group solves ST vs. Amiga problem