DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by Dean Garraght » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 02:50:48

Hello All,

Just wanted to bring you all up-to-date on the progress of my CD-ROM of
Atari 8-bit software containing commercial software released by Power Per
Post (International English Versions) and myself.

The CD is well on the way to completion. I only have some more magazines to
scan and one manual to re-edit.

I still need purchasing pledges. So far, only a few people have expressed an
interest. The CD will contain ATR and DCM versions of all the PPP software,
along with my own Digi-Studio package and all 26 issues of my magazine
published between 1991-1996. A full contents list is shown below.

The cost of this CD will be around US$15 including shipping. This is a
massive saving on the original cost of these products. You will be able to
pay with a credit card, because the CD will be bought through amazon.co.uk
(http://www.veryComputer.com/) zShops.

Full details of all these products can be found on the DGS website
(http://www.veryComputer.com/) in the commercial software price list. Please
ignore the individual prices shown in the price list.

If you would be interested in buying a copy of this CD, then please e-mail

NOTE: this CD cannot be sold to anyone in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland.
My PPP license does not cover these countries.

Dean Garraghty

The CD will contain the following:

*  Quick Programming language V2.2 (latest version) and V2.1 (for
compatibility with older QUICK sources)
*  Quick Support Disks 1 and 2 (example code and tutorials)
*  SAM (Screen Aided Management) 80-col desktop system (bit like GEM)
(latest version)
*  SAM Budget (spreadsheet)
*  SAM Designer (DTP/desgin package)
*  SAM Utility Extensions
*  4 Power Per Post games: * Ball, Glaggs It!, Bombi, Mine Sweeper
*  QuickEd (Character set editor for mouse, joystick and touch tablet)
*  Digi-Studio
*  Issues 1-14 of our News-Disk on-disk magazine
*  Issues 15-19 of the printed magazine carrying on from the on-disk mag
(scans of the original mags)
*  Issues 20-26 of the on-disk magazine carrying on from the printed mags
*  News-Disk Yearly Disk 1 (disk to go with the printed mags, includes lots
of Quick source code)

DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by Daniel Mill » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:01:58

Quote:>Hello All,

>Just wanted to bring you all up-to-date on the progress of my CD-ROM of
>Atari 8-bit software containing commercial software released by Power Per
>Post (International English Versions) and myself.

>The CD is well on the way to completion. I only have some more magazines to
>scan and one manual to re-edit.

>I still need purchasing pledges.

Will it be a professionally produced CD with the plastic shell and a
booklet, or a CD-R with handwriting on it in a plastic sleeve? I will
buy one if it is the former.

DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by James Alexande » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:24:47

Hello all,

> >Hello All,

> >Just wanted to bring you all up-to-date on the progress of my CD-ROM of
> >Atari 8-bit software containing commercial software released by Power Per
> >Post (International English Versions) and myself.

> >The CD is well on the way to completion. I only have some more magazines to
> >scan and one manual to re-edit.

> >I still need purchasing pledges.

> Will it be a professionally produced CD with the plastic shell and a
> booklet, or a CD-R with handwriting on it in a plastic sleeve? I will
> buy one if it is the former.

I doubt it wil be economically feasible to produce a fully stamped cd rom.  But
a good quality cd-r with laser printed label inserts would be reasonable.  Dont
forget,  full production CD's are hideously expensive if not impossible in
quantities under 500 to 1000 in most cases.  Not a good idea when there isnt
that many active 8bitters worldwide.

DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by Alan Sharki » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:20:42

Hello Daniel,

I have to agree with James on this one.  I bought The Pooldisk and Pooldisk
Too for The Ol' Hackers AUG when it existed.  Both were hand-burned,
although they had packaging and labeling that was of better quality than
somebody writing on the CD with a felt-tip marker and enclosing it in a
paper sleeve.  All of this takes time, effort and creativity.  I have to
respect the efforts of small-time producers, no matter how amateurish they
seem, and concentrate on the quality of the software on the CD.

Just my 2.

Take care.

Alan

> >Hello All,

> >Just wanted to bring you all up-to-date on the progress of my CD-ROM of
> >Atari 8-bit software containing commercial software released by Power Per
> >Post (International English Versions) and myself.

> >The CD is well on the way to completion. I only have some more magazines
> >scan and one manual to re-edit.

> >I still need purchasing pledges.

> Will it be a professionally produced CD with the plastic shell and a
> booklet, or a CD-R with handwriting on it in a plastic sleeve? I will
> buy one if it is the former.

DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by Dean Garraght » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:00:20

Quote:> Will it be a professionally produced CD with the plastic shell and a
> booklet, or a CD-R with handwriting on it in a plastic sleeve? I will
> buy one if it is the former.

It is a Kodak CD-R (or possibly BASF/EMTEC when the Kodak run out), with a
laser printed CD label. It is in a plastic case. The insert will also be
laser printed, as will the U-cover at the back.

Dean Garraghty

DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by Daniel Mill » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:59:25

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:20:42 -0400, "Alan Sharkis"

>Hello Daniel,

>I have to agree with James on this one.  I bought The Pooldisk and Pooldisk
>Too for The Ol' Hackers AUG when it existed.  Both were hand-burned,
>although they had packaging and labeling that was of better quality than
>somebody writing on the CD with a felt-tip marker and enclosing it in a
>paper sleeve.  All of this takes time, effort and creativity.  I have to
>respect the efforts of small-time producers, no matter how amateurish they
>seem, and concentrate on the quality of the software on the CD.

I am not saying that I don't respect them nor that they are
amateurish. Part of the enjoyment of owning a CD is having nice
packaging and a shell that can sit on a shelf with your others, like
any music CD. It is just my personal preference.

DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by Daniel Mill » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:19:10

Quote:>It is a Kodak CD-R (or possibly BASF/EMTEC when the Kodak run out), with a
>laser printed CD label. It is in a plastic case. The insert will also be
>laser printed, as will the U-cover at the back.

Okay, I'll buy one.

DGS/PPP CD-ROM - progress update

Post by LLpwhi » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 09:44:02

Received my CD today -- just 6 days after I ordered it!  Have checked it out
briefly, and Dean has certainly done an A+ job putting this CD together.  Well
worth the $15!
Larry

1. DGS/PPP CD-ROM - further update

Hello All,

Further to my last update on the new CD-ROM, I'm pleased to announce that
the CD is ready. However, I've decided to use PayPal rather than Amazon to
allow US buyers to pay in US$ at a fixed $ price (the cost will be US$15
including shipping). It will take a few more days before I will be able to
fully use the PayPal account. I hope to have the CD on sale via my own
website using PayPal to process your orders/credit cards by the weekend.
I'll post a further message when it's on the site and ready to buy.

Dean Garraghty

2. Soar: emergent curiosity and knowledge acquisition

3. Atari 8-bit PC CD-ROM of PPP/DGS Products (Quick, SAM, etc.)

4. DUNE 3 GET IT!

5. Atari 8-bit PPP/DGS PC CD-ROM

6. DX-33 / Wfwg311 / BNC - network DOESN'T work ?

7. Atari 8-bit PPP/DGS products on PC CD-ROM

8. Blue Screen of Death

9. DGS/PPP CD-ROM -- Buy it now!!

10. New CD-ROM of Atari PPP/DGS products

11. New Atari 8-bit CD-ROM from DGS @ $9.99

12. New 'budget' Atari 8-bit CD-ROM from DGS

13. FS: Peavey SP/SXII Sampler,External Glyph CD-ROM,CD-ROMS