Emulator Envy - XFormer 4.0 Wish List

Post by Scott Butl » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I just downloaded an outstanding Apple IIe emulator for Windows and Windows
95, written by one Michael O'Brien. This is by far the nicest emulator for
Windows I've ever seen. I got the Windows 95 version - it's extremely cool!
The most common features - the help files, disk image management, sound and
joystick setup, and an integrated debug monitor - are available on a small
tool palette to the right of the main display area. The whole thing is a
complete joy to use....it almost makes me wish I was an Apple II fan. But,
I've been a die-hard Atari fan since the beginning, so.....

I'm dreaming of the day when an Atari 8-bit emulator that's this easy and
convenient to use will be available for Windows 95. Any screenshots of Xformer
4.0 available yet? Think we could get a cool little tool palette on the side
like the Apple IIe emulator has? When will XF4.0 for Win95 be ready?

Ready to send money....

Scott

Post by uglmil.. » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I just downloaded an outstanding Apple IIe emulator for Windows and Windows
> 95, written by one Michael O'Brien. This is by far the nicest emulator for
> Windows I've ever seen. I got the Windows 95 version - it's extremely cool!
> The most common features - the help files, disk image management, sound and
> joystick setup, and an integrated debug monitor - are available on a small
> tool palette to the right of the main display area. The whole thing is a
> complete joy to use....it almost makes me wish I was an Apple II fan. But,
> I've been a die-hard Atari fan since the beginning, so.....

> I'm dreaming of the day when an Atari 8-bit emulator that's this easy and
> convenient to use will be available for Windows 95. Any screenshots of Xformer
> 4.0 available yet? Think we could get a cool little tool palette on the side
> like the Apple IIe emulator has? When will XF4.0 for Win95 be ready?

> Ready to send money....

> Scott

I'd settle for an emulator that ran some of the games I wanted to play...

Post by w.. » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I just downloaded an outstanding Apple IIe emulator for Windows and Windows
>95, written by one Michael O'Brien. This is by far the nicest emulator for
>Windows I've ever seen. I got the Windows 95 version - it's extremely cool!
>The most common features - the help files, disk image management, sound and
>joystick setup, and an integrated debug monitor - are available on a small
>tool palette to the right of the main display area. The whole thing is a
>complete joy to use....it almost makes me wish I was an Apple II fan. But,
>I've been a die-hard Atari fan since the beginning, so.....

>I'm dreaming of the day when an Atari 8-bit emulator that's this easy and
>convenient to use will be available for Windows 95. Any screenshots of Xformer
>4.0 available yet? Think we could get a cool little tool palette on the side
>like the Apple IIe emulator has? When will XF4.0 for Win95 be ready?

>Ready to send money....

>Scott

I am first of all an Atari fan...but I have fiddled with the Apple II series.
Where can I get the Apple II emulator. Thanks. Bill Forbes in Indiana, PA

Emulator Envy - XFormer 4.0 Wish List

Post by Scott Butl » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[snip]
: Hell, I will be happy if my version 3.3 would perform 1/3 what the
: advertising promised. I have rerouted joystick ports, tweaked the
[snip]

Well, I haven't really worked with XFormer all that much. I've got an Atari
800 setup in my ba*t that has my old 386sx slaved to it (Intel outside,
indeed!) via SIO2PC for the hard drive, and that's where I do all my Atari
stuff (OK, mostly games). As a matter of fact, I've got about 6 Atari 8-bits
of various shapes and sizes laying about the house, with a lot of accessories,
but I use the 800 with the 386sx slave exclusively.

I admire emulators more for the fact that, as a developer, I think that
they're incredibly cool hacks, rather than for their usefulness. The emulators
that have impressed me the most have been the C64s Commodore 64 emulator,
which seems to run just about everything, and Jeff Vavasour's TRS-80 Model I
emulator, which DOES run everything. The aforementioned AppleWin emulator
seems to be pretty robust, as well.

I think the Atari emulator is probably MUCH more complex to pull off than
either of those two, though. As I said, I haven't used the emulator too much,
since I like to use the actual Atari, but I brought my SIO2PC disk images
upstairs and used them with the demo version XFormer 3.3 running on my Pentium
60. Generally, I've had about a 50-60% success rate running stuff (mostly
games, which are the hardest tests, I think) with it. Some things run but have
problems (Pharoah's Curse has some sort of corruption with some of the PM
graphics; Satan's Hollow freezes after the first wave; Fort Apocalypse loads
but the collision detect is hosed). In some cases the game runs great, but the
bottom couple of lines of the screen are cut off. Some of these may have to do
with it being a demo version, some of it might have to do with my particular
hardware setup; I don't know. I will probably buy the Win95 version, since
some of those hardware compatibility issues will cease to be issues.

I'll also point out that I think Derek's performed a valuable serice to the
8-bit community and, while he's not exactly going to win any J.D. Power &
Associates awards for customer relations, he certainly made some good points
in his post. And I think he should *certainly* get some positive recognition
for being able to pull off any kind of emulator at *all* for a complex little
beast like the Atari 8-bit....

My $0.02.

Scott

Post by circl » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >I just downloaded an outstanding Apple IIe emulator for Windows and Windows
> >95, written by one Michael O'Brien. This is by far the nicest emulator for
> >Windows I've ever seen. I got the Windows 95 version - it's extremely cool!
> >The most common features - the help files, disk image management, sound and
> >joystick setup, and an integrated debug monitor - are available on a small
> >tool palette to the right of the main display area. The whole thing is a
> >complete joy to use....it almost makes me wish I was an Apple II fan. But,
> >I've been a die-hard Atari fan since the beginning, so.....

> >I'm dreaming of the day when an Atari 8-bit emulator that's this easy and
> >convenient to use will be available for Windows 95. Any screenshots of Xformer
> >4.0 available yet? Think we could get a cool little tool palette on the side
> >like the Apple IIe emulator has? When will XF4.0 for Win95 be ready?

> >Ready to send money....

> >Scott

> I am first of all an Atari fan...but I have fiddled with the Apple II series.
> Where can I get the Apple II emulator. Thanks. Bill Forbes in Indiana, PA

Hell, I will be happy if my version 3.3 would perform 1/3 what the
advertising promised. I have rerouted joystick ports, tweaked the
sound card, etc etc made several long dx phone calls only to be insulted
by certain programmers, and it has almost totally turned me into
an   "any damn thing but atari" fan after loving that little machine
for over 15 years.... thank god for vga, stereo sound, and cdroms.
If my "amazing " xformer dont work soon, I am gonna get my money back
on the basis that the 40 page manual is only 24pages....i get this way
when I feel Ive been ripped off .
john mcconnell

Emulator Envy - XFormer 4.0 Wish List

Post by Scott Butl » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I am first of all an Atari fan...but I have fiddled with the Apple II series.
: Where can I get the Apple II emulator. Thanks. Bill Forbes in Indiana, PA

For the benefit of anyone else who may be wondering the same thing, point
your FTP client or Web browser this way:

ftp://ftp.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/emulators/applewin/

Have fun!

Scott

Post by Miller, Daniel » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: > I'm dreaming of the day when an Atari 8-bit emulator that's this easy and
: > convenient to use will be available for Windows 95. Any screenshots of Xformer
: > 4.0 available yet? Think we could get a cool little tool palette on the side
: > like the Apple IIe emulator has? When will XF4.0 for Win95 be ready?
: >
: > Ready to send money....
: >
: > Scott

: I'd settle for an emulator that ran some of the games I wanted to play...

Which ones have you tried that don't run?

1. PC Xformer 4.0 !

Hello all,

    I just received the new newsletter from Branch Always Software. Not
only are they working on GEMulator 4.0, but they are also working on PC
Xformer 4.0 and shooting for a summer release! It is a 130XE emulator
similar to v.3.0 but it is said to be even more compaitible (sp?). It
will be a Windows based program, so it will work with almost any sound
card and, as with v.3.0, it will support pc printers, modems and
joysticks. No pricing as of yet.
    I also received a disk from them that had the GEMulator 4.0 preview
program and a copy of PC Xformer 2.52, an updated version of their
freeware preview program. If any of you are interested in that, let me
know what site you would like it uploaded to and i'll make sure it gets
there in a couple of days. One site i'll definitely send it to is James
King's site at ftp.xmission.com

   Sincerely,
     - Byron Followell

2. Move folders from PC to server?

3. some items from my emulation personal wish list

4. accessing sbf_opt from driver init function

5. Wish List (was: comp.sys.atari.8bit.archive)

6. Adaptec 2940 on AS 400

7. WWW105 - CAB wish list

8. Root Cause Analysis Software

9. Christmas Wish List (<$100 US)