binaries or no binaries

Post by Mathy Van Nisselr » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

k >Subject: bros2b0.arc (1/1) - small beta demo release; how're the graphics?
k >Date: 7 Jun 1995 04:44:23 GMT
k >
k >
k > (4) I'm beginning to think we (or perhaps I? :) ) need a c.s.a.8.binaries
k >     newsgroup.  People like me who post beta releases and demos regularly

Maybe, but to get a new group you have to vote.  When voting for a new group
2/3 of the valid votes have to be YES.  And, the YES votes have to out number
the No votes by atleast ONE HUNDRED.

Man, if nobody votes NO, and all votes are legal, we'd still have to find
100 people to vote.  <scratching behind the ears>

As long as those binaries can be run on a standard Classic Atari, without
requiring additional hard- or software, I don't mind the occasional binary.
But, I do not like lots of "C" code, ACTION! or ML source (they require a
language disk/cart) and I really don't like it, when those files can only be
run on emulators.

Speaking of emulators (since I DO have your attention anyhow)  Don't you folks
have anything else to talk about then Xformer and SIO2PC.  Yak!  Am I the
only die-hard classic ATARI ONLY user?  The last of the Ataricans?!?

---
 * PabQwk 2.0 *

binaries or no binaries

Post by RZaba » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

No, you are not the last of the atarians who actually have an atari!

(though i do have XFORMER and it's neat!)

I have an 800xl, xf551, and a billion games that some pentiums will never
reproduce!  The old atari stuff is classic!

You mentioned 'binaries'......is there a NEWSGROUP out there where
binaries are sent to? am i missing something fun and interesting? wouldn't
be the first time......

cheers. thanks. g'day.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

binaries or no binaries

Post by Chris_F_Chi.. » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hey-hey, chalk me up as ANOTHER Atari-only user -- at least, where running
Atari programs is concerned!  I mean, I have an Amiga, and a couple of
ancient PCs that I rarely ever even power up, but I don't do Atari stuff
on THEM, I do it on my Atari!  Or should I say AtariS -- I have six or
seven of 'em stashed around here and there, including the two I just bought
(used of course) back in May...  I could use a few more disk drives, BTW,
if anybody wants to sell some!

I -am- starting to become concerned about the lifespan of disks, though, as
recently discussed here, so am now starting to think about ways of archiving
(and thereby "refreshing" through rewriting) my HUNDREDS of Atari 8-bit 5.25"
floppy disks.  Suggestions?

Chris

binaries or no binaries

Post by Rick_Michael_Cort.. » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Well, no matter what some people may think, SIO2PC is running a real
Atari, you just use the PC as a disk drive. Chris, IMO: SIO2PC is the
best way to go for backing stuff up. I suffered a major heart break this
winter when my roof leaked onto some of my disks. I'm thinking the 200-300
disks I have would fit on a couple 1.44 megs disks if I only moved the
files I actually use. Let's face it, I won't be using AMODEM 4.2 for the
1030 much anymore.
Rick

binaries or no binaries

Post by William Kendri » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Chris, you have some PCs?  GO FOR SIO2PC!!!!  :)

-bill!
--

William (Bill) Kendrick / | \  ** New Breed Software **
http://zippy.sonoma.edu/~kendrick

binaries or no binaries

Post by Chris_F_Chi.. » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Chris, you have some PCs?  GO FOR SIO2PC!!!!  :)

I suppose it's possible, but these are OLD.  Like, I haven't been able to run
a modem off either of 'em, because I haven't found the serial port or any
terminal-emulator software that'll run on either one.  Of course, I haven't
tried very hard... ;-)

What are SIO2PC's hardware requirements, for both the software and the
hardware?

One of these, too, goes back to the ex-wife eventually, probably this July...

Chris

binaries or no binaries

Post by Preston F. Cr » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>What are SIO2PC's hardware requirements, for both the software and the
>hardware?

A PC with a serial port (even on old 8088!)
The SIO2PC software for the PC
        available via ftp from the UMich archive
The SIO2PC cable
        instructions via ftp from the UMich archive

That's it.  No software for the Atari--the cable translates SIO calls
to RS232 signals, and the PC emulates the disk drive.  The Atari can't
tell the difference, except in the speed (it's a bit faster).

If you have a PC, you should definitely get SIO2PC.  What better use
for a PC than as a fileserver for you Atari?

--PC (My initials, not my philosophy)
--
Segmentation fault
%

binaries or no binaries

Post by William Kendri » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Chris, SIO2PC runs fine on my 4Mhz 8086-based PS/2.
Also, go for Telix for term. software.. it's dandy!