>>Hmm, one of these days I'll have to write that utimate sound player... Gem
>>based, works with PSG, Replay, DMA and Falcon audio, every known audio format,
>>perfect as a CAB helper...
I for one sure wish you or someone would write such a program. I have looked high and
low for one that fits my requirements. I even bought Lattice C with the intention of
doing it myself, but after almost a year, I am no C programmer.
You mentioned a couple crucial requirements, but for what it's worth, here's my full
1. playback _only_ of
2. 8 or 16 bit capable
3. stereo capable
4. gem-clean (runs under tos or magic or multitos)
5. AV protocol aware (A MUST!!!)
6. does not draw a window, dialog box or anything else on the screen! Just plays the
7. for samples with non-atari frequencies, should re-sample upon loading, then play it.
8. works on a falcon.
9. clears the buffer, so I don't hear remnants of previously played sounds (a problem
I have with 16-bit sounds in snd_play by Richard Kurz and SAM by Scott Sanders.)
10. does not turn the keyclick off (or if it does, turns it back on after playback is done
playing) (a problem I have with bng_play by Vanel Remi.)
I was willing to pay US$275 for Lattice C just to get this program on my hard drive, so
you can easily guess I would register someone's shareware offering in a second.