STe "Fiasco"

Post by fsd.. » Sat, 23 Jun 1990 19:47:05

Sorry about not reuseing somebody elses important satement about things not
running on there STe.... but I am new at this.

1) 1040STe's can be purchased from J&R Music World in New York (1-800-221-8180)
        for $600.
   And they have the lowest price on the Porfolio that I've seen, $300!

2) I Have read in March ST Format, a leading British Mag. that the STe (which
        was released at Christmas time) Doesn't run a lot of heavily copy
        protected games.  30 are listed in the Mag, including Populous,
        Speedball, and Captain *.  But it also won't run STOS or 1st Word!

 Atari admitted in "New Computer Express" that ONE in 20 games wouldn't run on
the STE.  They also released a patch for the medium resolution booting problem.
Since Christmas STOS has been said to have been fixed to work with the STE.

Most problems seem to stem from the use of undocumented "features" of TOS.
Many public domain programs are said to also be incompatable.

I wouldn't be too shook up though, this is old news and some of it may have
been fixed for the North American release... though I wouldn't hold _MY_ breath.

--The views expressed are my own, and thoes whom I quote, I don't OWN an STE and

University of Alaska, Fairbanks              Where it's mild when it's 40 below.

STe "Fiasco"

Post by Graham Thom » Wed, 27 Jun 1990 01:32:05

Quote:> 2) I Have read in March ST Format, a leading British Mag. that the STe (which
>    was released at Christmas time) Doesn't run a lot of heavily copy
>    protected games.  30 are listed in the Mag, including Populous,
>    Speedball, and Captain *.  But it also won't run STOS or 1st Word!

ST Format exaggerated the number of programs which were STe
incompatible.  I can't speak for the games, but I have had no problems
running First Word Plus (v3.14 and now 3.15, UK) on my STe.

Quote:> They also released a patch for the medium resolution booting problem.
> Since Christmas STOS has been said to have been fixed to work with the STE.

The bad news is that STe's in the UK are still being distributed with
the medium resolution booting problem, so people still have to find the
patch from dealers, BBS, etc.  The good news is that, yes, STOS has been
fixed.

Given the choice, I'd go for the STe every time, if only for the easy
memory upgrades.

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK

1. STacy 4 sale """""""""""""""""""""""""""

STacy

All the normal things that come with a STacy, PLUS:

FOUR megs of RAM
130 meg Hard Drive
Installed and working ADspeed board ( software or hardware switchable
External Keyboard port, just plug in a Mega ST(e) Keyboard
(keyboard not included)
Extention cord for a keyboard, compute from across the room
Wired for a battery (battery included but not very good)

Cost $  Make REASONABLE Offer

2. REQ: Web Clipping for Palm OS 4.1

3. "Big" screen, flickering, "R: "/"Z:", etc

4. SendKeys

5. Looking for "CyberStudio", "Cyber 3D", "CyberPaint", etc.

6. Basic C Questions....

7. Where can I get "op_400," "op_sysxl," or "op_5200" emulators?

8. Which modems use the Lucent chipset?

9. Adventures "Seramis" and "Mord an Bord"

10. "New"vs"Old" Qix, DigDug?

11. Sorry, "Asskicker" is NOT "Doom!"

12. Need: 2 Atari 800 games, "Quarxon" and "Caterpiggle"

13. WTF: Atari game "Qb" or "Cubie"